1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Gunna

Gunna Member

They are out in the field so it is possible they are doing that. I've stopped that here in the office so thats a small win.

Internal users have no issues it seems like the guys in the field are the ones who always forget.

2. hosh0

hosh0 Member

Depending on size of the userbase/your system I'd consider implementing a SAML assertion

3. bcann

bcann Member

Enable Outlook web access password changes. works even if password is expired.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297121

If their password expires point them to OWA.

4. tobes

tobes Member

I really like how they f&(& around with the calling party so the carriers reject it....

Pfft Tea.....

Click to view full size!

(Phone to real life fail....)

5. Gunna

Gunna Member

We have OWA. The issue is they seem to forget their password to log into OWA and lock their account as well or they try one password in OWA think it has expired and call me up. If we can do single sign on it will help.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  6. bcann

bcann Member

I got a solution, but you might want to run it past your OH & S Guys first:

Create a handprint template and attach it to your desk, put on Velcro strips where the fingers go and across the broad section of the hand.

Crate a sign that says password reset tool above said handprint template.

Insert your item of horror (hammer/saw/sharp implement) on aforementioned sign.

Wait for first request :shock:

7. Alfonzo

Alfonzo Member

Could be worse again - you could have SSO and still have post it notes with 'kidsname04' on it.

Idiots doing idiot things because they're idiots... :lol:

8. millsy

millsy Member

Glad I wasn't the only one who drank those in the VFF lounge :p

Obligatory morning coffee picture.

Click to view full size!

9. caspian

caspian Member

I agree completely. the internet just makes it more apparent. 20 years ago, to get something printed into the public domain you had to be a recognised writer, which meant other people agreed you had something to say worth listening to before you were given the chance to say it with an audience.

the internet and cheap computers have removed that limitation, so now you're exposed to the opinions of any dickhead who can operate a keyboard. think of the average facebook user, and then consider that 50% of them are dumber than that etc. being a bit depressed sometimes is pretty much inevitable. you have to climb over that to stay sane.

10. millsy

millsy Member

Yeah it's funny, we've ended up with some amazing stuff from people who otherwise wouldn't normally get printed, and then you get youtube comments.

Haven't worked out if the good counters the bad yet :p

11. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

12. trackhappy

trackhappy Member

Got any positions for a shaky handed 90-100 wpm coffee addict IT junior willing to learn? :lol:

13. tobes

tobes Member

/off thread

To be honest it tastes good for Crown but I'd rather a Peroni, or Minimum Chips or pretty much every other beer they have in the lounge but my coworker liked it so much he had 5 in 35 minutes.

/rant

Why is it that the largest database company in the world can't run simple SQL commands? Migrating some accounts from an old forum system to a new forum system and they want everyone to a) create new accounts and b) figure this out themselves because they don't "want to be a source of spam".

How about you just create accounts for them on the new system?

14. greebs

greebs Member

As others have said, SSO helps greatly (in that you only have to reset one password for them), but this will always be an issue.

We have one guy here, he's the best sales guy we have, but he just cannot remember his password.

15. Luke212

Luke212 Member

doesnt everyone just do Summer1, Summer2, Summer3 and you know how long they have been with the company by their suffix? :D

because its run by aging database scientists who don't understand customer service (oracle?)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  16. power

power Member

It doesn't, just in the same way that false accusations and bad news reporting is not countered by quality press.

Bad information is like a disease with no cure.

17. GreenBeret

GreenBeret Member

It appears that it doesn't matter where I work, any request sent to the Windows team will always take about 3x longer than it should. :thumbdn:

18. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

I'd rather what we have now, compared to what we had then. Sure, the Signal to Noise ratio has gone up, but so has the total amount of Signal.

Because anyone can say anything, at any time, I am exposed to a far wider range of ideas and opinions than I would have been in the old-media days, and while this is a double edged sword, because I can google, and come up with a list of sources that claim Obama is a Lizard-man, For me at least, the good outweighs the bad, because I can also google, and come up with solidly reasoned arguments about why Obama is NOT a lizard-man.

Relephant XKCD - For those that Read Ender's Game at least
    [​IMG]

19. TehCamel

TehCamel Member

20. malbert

malbert Member

My memory is sketchy, but didn't the 'real internet' in Ender's Game require you to be an adult with a verified ID? Perhaps this would resolve the Greater Internet F***wad Theory? But then we might have far fewer things to rant about...