1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

This is normal for every business I've ever worked in. I have no idea why. Red tape? Process and procedure? Workload? Not paying enough and hiring monkeys?

You win the "best coffee mug" award. :thumbup:

While I agree, picking through the noise for signal is time consuming. Putting effort into filtering systems ends up being a huge amount of work, as generally there's no central source for signal (every place has signal and noise, so you can't easily go to a noise-free corner).

And again, it's not the Internet's fault. But the Internet is the vehicle that transports most of the noise, and thus staying away from it for a while brings a sense of clarity, even at the sacrifice of signal. But sometimes silence is truly golden.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  2. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Would that make a difference?

When weighting things, do you take into account if they were written by a 'real' person, or a pseudonym? or do you evaluate purely on content?

3. Luke212

Luke212 Member

what happens is people dont have time to filter all the noise, so they revert to their pre held beliefs. new information will not sway them as they hold on religiously to what they already know. look how polarised politics is now. its because there is so much noise and no signal. and we actually are worse off with so much noise.

its an information paradox and much has been written on this recent problem.

look at all the different nutrition fads. this is another case of people riding the noise (and profiting on it). its humans seeing patterns when there are none. you get 50 different opinions on healthy living and so eventually you will have information paralysis.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  4. FromPaul

FromPaul Member

So we thought we'd put in a "cowboy of the week" award to the guy in the team who makes the biggest cockup without getting permission or letting anyone know what he was doing.

The guy who won it on Monday proceeded to triple his award by repeating the same cockup three times in a day, then today went for a fourth time in a row.

If this keep up we'll give him a print out of the american flag and start colouring in stars as he keeps going.

5. OP
    OP
    elvis

If he gets to five, his "reward" should be a cardboard box to pack all her personal shit in to, and a written invitation to the kerb.

6. malbert

malbert Member

You think as many trolls would be trolls if everyone they were trolling knew their real name and could be cross referenced against a Govt database?

7. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Fair call on the trolling, but lots of *information* that is posted isn't trolling, Take Anti-Vaxers for example, they aren't Trolling people... the are sincere in their beliefs (no matter how stupid they are), they aren't going to come out and say "lol trolled, now ur kidz got measles roflmao"

Would "Obama is a Lizard-Man" hold more sway in your mind if it was posted by "KnobGobbler54" or "Dr Arthur Pilkington the Third, esq."

8. malbert

malbert Member

The Greater Internet F***wad theory isn't about my opinion of stupid - it simply states that a normal person given anonymity and an audience can be a f***wad.

I would argue that a stupid person with or without anonymity/audience is still stupid.

9. tobes

tobes Member

Reminds me of the network guy at an unnamed formally incumbent telecommunications provider who managed to take an entire state offline by fat fingering an access network outage while attempting to migrate traffic for an upgrade. He repeated the exact same command the next night and did the same thing!

10. Unframed

Unframed Member

Mind if I ask what the cowboy was doing?

11. cvidler

cvidler Member

Facebook proves this to be false.

All the crap on there, from people with their (generally) real names.

12. OP
    OP
    elvis

My first online discussions were long before anonymous accounts or even web-based discussion. Back then, your name was there for all to see (usually linked to your uni/work account).

13. malbert

malbert Member

Anecdotally, was it more civil?

My guess would be that it was, but it's an apple to oranges comparison due to the limited demographics.

14. OP
    OP
    elvis

Yes and no. It depended more on the group back then. These days everywhere is a shitfight, but it's also important to recognise that everywhere has 100 times the users.

A single troll can easily destroy a whole community. OCAU at least does a generally decent job at removing trolls from the community.

15. TehCamel

TehCamel Member

Found an intranet site on a customer's linux server, which they didn't know about.
    They said they might be interested in using it. So I went looking for details.
    Found "production.log"
    Grep "asswo" production.log

Parameters: {"commit"=>"Log in", "username"=>"removed-user-name", "password"=>"removed-cleartxt-passwd"}

yep.... it throws every single logon into that log file.. with username and passwd in cleartxt.

16. OP
    OP
    elvis

North Korea.

17. FromPaul

FromPaul Member

Screwing up inheritance on file shares so you open up the file share in Computer, but then had access denied to every folder in the top of the share. He also removed every explicit file permission entry over the entire structure. then he did it to a share on the same server, and again a bit later as well.

Today he did the same on a different server in a different state

I've got a wager on with a helldesk member about the switch upgrades being done tonight :) We both think he'll fuck up, but its the degree of refuckulation we are arguing about...

18. scottath

scottath Member

Sounds like what the Macs at the school i work at keep doing to the student file server.....yay for Macs accessing NTFS :/

19. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

I'd Hazard a guess that most windows admins have broken stuff t do with the inheritance tick box once in their lives. But after that, you think carefully about what you're doing anytime you think you have to mess with that dastardly checkbox.

20. FromPaul

FromPaul Member

I'd agree on that, but fucking up that many folders takes a special kind of touch.

The reason I caught the one today was that I was expecting it and checked it before that office started work. So got lucky with no impact to the end user.