1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Nested groups are the bane of my existence currently.

Trying to Map out a File server and permissions;

Group A has access to C:\SomeCrap
    Group B is a member of Group A
    Group C is a Member of Group B
    Group A is a Member of Group C

No wonder the user enumeration never finishes

2. bcann

bcann Member

its a perfect storm :)

3. tin

tin Member

Take some RAM out - eventually it'll run out of memory and stop :p

4. ausghostdog

ausghostdog Member

*snip**snip*

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
  5. colmaz

colmaz Member

At least it (SAPGUI) allowed nested groups to work. Showed the setup log to our Security guys and they ok'd the SAP Dev's to be Local Admin (through privileged accounts only)
    AGDLP was one of the first things I learnt when I did my MCSE training back in '02 (We had an awesome teacher who taught outside of the curriculum). There's even a Wiki article on the concept. Mind you, I'm willing to bet that some of the less experienced blokes I work with haven't heard of it.

The last two place I've worked, RBAC is picking up traction thankfully. Combine it with some IDM and scripts to detect group recursion and it makes life much easier :D

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  6. Cpt Watermelon

Cpt Watermelon Member

Is the HP site rooted for anyone else, or is it just me?

I need to get the framework package but every single pc I download it on from the HP site fails.

:mad:

7. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Yep, I know exactly where I want to go with it... but getting from here to there is not going to be entertaining at all. Both a technical level, and trying to get policy buy-in for changes.

8. thetron

thetron Member

Its not that. Its "I can't promote you out of Level 1/2 desktop support without a Microsoft cert"

I been seeing the OSCP. However I am concern that could go from white/grey or blackhat because I was the type of kid at high school that annoyed the admin or that guy whom accidentally discovers a public website about the companies official launch of IPv6 in Australia via twitter (long story).

Also its unhealthy for your mind.
    Because of some "new" occupational risk and hazards is you become somewhat living in somewhat state of paranoia and feeling twitchy

We currently run 2 VM with CentOS and legacy system. However everything in my environment is a microsoft shop and strong push to move away from teh linux because of lack of knowledge and understanding on how to operate it

Now your the double hat windows and linux geek talking to management about buying a new system.
    Management and customer want to spend millions on a new off the shelf solution.

But the comments you get back is. We want to buy something thats not off the shelf and also not your responsibility for this system. So go away

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  9. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Sure, for a shit-kicker job with a $50K salary cap. If that's what people are shooting for, then that's great for them. I consider that a pretty terrible career highlight.

Change jobs. I'm not even in the slightest way kidding. If you want to better yourself, find a company that you can work with to progress your own career and grow.

Working for small minded companies and complaining that you can't get the salary you want is a self-fulfilling prophecy guaranteed to end in heartache.

100% of the career jumps I've taken in my life have started with me leaving one company, and doing something bigger and better with the next. Each one brought with them substantial pay raises, and huge opportunities to grow professionally and personally.

Don't limit yourself to what your current employer can offer you. Look for something better, take the leap, and grow.

Look, I hate talking salary on an internet forum for a bunch of reasons. But lets just say that some of the advertised salaries I see for Microsoft-cert level jobs on Seek are a joke, and I wouldn't get out of bed in the morning for twice the money I frequently see. You want to call me "linux geek", then that's cool. This "linux geek" makes good cash helping some of the most interesting businesses in the country do some of the most amazing work, and spends 10 minutes here and there trawling forums listening to everyone else complain about salaries, glass ceilings, career limitations, and asking which Microsoft certifications to do to try and get a leg up. If you want to get out of the hole, get on Seek and look at what people want. Drag that salary slider all the way to the right, check out what the high paying jobs are after, and start aiming for that.

Or not. Just keep doing low-level certs, and being the same as the other million blokes on the street competing in your skillset bracket, slowly devaluing your skills.

10. thetron

thetron Member

Redhat keep changing there bloody website which makes difficult to figure out. Which course

Secondly the content of basic courses should cover cloud more

11. OP
    OP
    elvis

Look, I was going to try to be patient and kind and tolerant and spell it all out, but this is nuts.

Google took me straight to their certification page, with a list of the certs starting at the easiest/intro-course at the top of the list, and working on from there.

Wikipedia's list was much the same, with detailed explanations.

If you're brand new to Enterprise Linux, teaching "cloud" on day one of the intro course is just plain silly. Walk before you can run. Deal with the introductory and intermediate skills before you progress on to cloud (aka OpenStack, in RedHat language) technologies. Why would any of their basic courses teach the complexities of enterprise cloud management suites if the students can't even handle basic installation, configuration and maintenance of a single Linux instance yet (let alone automated installation and management of hundreds/thousands of nodes)?

The number one skill I look for in my junior sysadmins, particularly when I'm hiring folks straight out of helpdesk roles, is aptitude. I don't expect them to have years of experience or certifications spilling out of them. All I expect is that they can do a little digging and find information without me having to hold their hand. Finding what RedHat certs to do in what order is the kind of task I'd expect my hires to have sorted within 15 minutes of hitting a web browser.

The number two skill (and by not by much of a margin) is attitude. A willingness to tackle the problems, and not just sit around bitching that it's all too hard.

If you want to be promoted beyond level 1 helpdesk, the one thing holding you back currently is yourself. Push harder, try harder, do more. Nobody's going to spoon-feed you. And nobody's going to want to hand you that high paying job on a silver platter. There's a million other people exactly the same as you all competing for the job you want. What are you going to do to be a better candidate than them?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  12. Diode

Diode Member

I'm with you there. We're currently looking for a new sysadmin and my manager wants some core Microsoft skills such as AD and Exchange under their belt to assist me (when I'm not there) since I've been taking on a lot of the work in that space. So he's drilling them on very specific knowledge in that area. I keep saying as long as they have the "aptitude" to do the job. Because I worry that we're just going to get someone that has just come fresh from their MCSE knows some specific Microsoft terms and yet is useless for anything else.

I personally haven't been responsible for AD or Exchange in my career until this year and I guess I've had to quickly pick these up and re-mediate all the issues.

13. GreyWolfe01

GreyWolfe01 Member

I have found my biggest problem is being in jobs with a limited scope and therefore not getting wider experience. Example, I was sysadmin for a local branch of a multinational for eight years, but because it was such a basic system and high level AD work was done in head office, I left with a reasonable idea of how to maintain Exchange/AD but none of the high level skills, because I'd never needed to know them or had the opportunity to use them if I did.

If your job isn't stimulating and you aren't learning new things every day/week/month/year, move jobs while you are young and still learning.

14. OP
    OP
    elvis

Don't limit this to being young. There's enough interesting stuff in the world that you can learn something new every day until you die. At no point in your career should you consider that you've finished learning (or teaching, for that matter).

15. GreyWolfe01

GreyWolfe01 Member

Change is scary. But once you find the glass ceiling in your current job and know that you won't progress, start looking around. I stayed for the people and the culture, but once they started leaving the writing was on the wall.

16. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Did you contact head office IT and express an interest, every good (lazy) sysadmin I know would love to farm stuff off to an eager, non-stupid PFY.

17. GreyWolfe01

GreyWolfe01 Member

They had two global IT directors while I was there, one got the sack after blowing a million pounds on a botched AX implementation and the other left due to illness. For the majority of the time it was one IT 'manager' who was originally hired to change tapes and probably shouldn't have gone above that. Didn't care about IT outside of the UK until the board made him responsible for all server hardware globally. One admin and one IT helpdesk dude to manage the IT operations of a global company, with no proper IT policies, everyone using different business systems and no continuity. Lots of fun.

18. malbert

malbert Member

The pattern at many places is job protectionism and risk aversion. Work isn't delegated unless it's dead simple. Or alternatively it carries such a high risk/exposure that the residue distance themselves completely.

I blame Canberra, might be time for me to leave :).

19. OP
    OP
    elvis

IMHO becoming stagnant is more scary than change.

20. TehCamel

TehCamel Member

Fucking optus. I'm fairly confident they have suddenly decided to start blocking VPN traffic. (Just for clarity, these are corporate VPNs not personal vpns)

I reach this diagnosis by the follow:

- I always use the same laptop.
    -- there has been no change to the PPTP VPN connections
    - I know they are working from other locations, so the VPNs themselves aren't messed up.
    - My vpns fail to connect. All of them. To many different locations
    - the VPNs are stating that an error occured on a firewall between my connection and the endpoint. The only thing in the way is the Optus cable modem.
    - the vpns work when using my 3g dongle, from the same laptop so it's unlikely there's a general network stack issue with my laptop
    - just for amusement sake, I tried the vpn on another device within the network