1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. power

power Member

people allow social media and streaming music/video on their networks, lol.

2. Gunna

Gunna Member

I dont have an issue with that and it was discussed a page or 2 back.

Symantec isnt at fault here, the update was just released and wasnt tested against their software, it's your fault for not ensuring the update you are applying is compatible with the software on your servers. There plenty of pieces of software that won't run on the latest version of Java so it isnt a Symantec only issue.

Edit: My rant............

People deleting objects in OU's I am resposible for in AD.

I look after AU, NZ and Asia and the OU's associated with them so when doing our server upgrades here in AU i created some security groups and tied them to administrator access, read-only access and other access levels. I also made a GPO that would auto add the Administrator group to the local admin group of the server when they joined the domain after pre-staging them in my OU's.

I created these groups after searching the forest in the event there were already security groups for APAC and there were none. I think that head office has finally created groups for our region and deleted my groups without notice.......7 months after I created them.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  3. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

didn't we go through all this shit at the last java update?

4. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Ahh yes... the Old "Click Accept" method of change management... how's that working out for you.

At least you had a rollback plan.

5. thetron

thetron Member

It happens....

oh sigh and not my decision

I hate shitty coders whom dont keep up with pre-released Java versions

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  6. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Whats the business case for blocking them?

Blocking it just makes people use their phones instead.

Allowing it (unless you've got specific business requirements for blocking them) has few down sides.

Fuck... Facebook is a better resource now for finding contact details than almost anywhere else.

So if you block it, Mary from Accounting spends 10 minutes tracking down whoever is using the Yellow Pages as a monitor stand, and looking up the number.

7. Gunna

Gunna Member

We block it.

Productivity and bandwidth are 2 main reasons, easier to see someone with their nose in their phone rather than appearing to work while on FB. Spotify on your phone, go nuts. That's your band width not the companies. We dont pay $1400 a month for a fibre connection to allow users to hammer it with spotify.

8. greebs

greebs Member

I can understand it if it's a bandwidth issue. But personally, if it's not, then managers should be the ones that monitor what their staff are doing. I, as an IT person, couldn't care less. It's no different to staff taking long coffee or smoke breaks.

9. NSanity

NSanity Member

110% this.

The only reason I don't have spotify going during work is because i'm on the phone 3-4 hours a day.

Stop trying to solve HR problems with IT. If they can't fuck about on Facebook/Spotify/whatever on company gear, they will fuck about some other way.

10. power

power Member

It would negatively effect our WAN.

I don't give a flying fuck about HR or what you do on your phone.

11. NSanity

NSanity Member

Christ, have none of you kids heard of L7 Traffic shaping... "Moar bandwidth" is not the answer. Making use of bandwidth intelligently is - and before you say buying a packeteer or whatever is unnecessary, I would argue that you could probably live on half your current bandwidth with one and nobody would really notice.

12. malbert

malbert Member

Pfft sif block internet.

Fed Govt client spent millions building a gateway, blocking everything that wasn't work related, usage tracking blah blah.

Now they're spending millions rolling out a separate network for (nearly) unrestricted internet use because they realise it's not 1995 anymore. They use exactly the same WAN circuits in parallel with their legacy network and don't have any problems. Productivity hasn't changed, CIO now positioning the new network as the platform for a bunch of collaboration based apps and VDI to BYOD laptops/tablets while gateway team slowly vanishing.

13. itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

that dont make much sense, gateways where you block everything are easy, gateways where you allow everything but still need to protect your IP and your users are fucking hard......

14. bsbozzy

bsbozzy Member

Anyone off to the Palo Alto APAC Champion summit?

15. power

power Member

He says knowing nothing about my network, organisation and priorities of the business.

16. bcann

bcann Member

Why on gods earth did you need to do a system restore to go back to java 7? Its a fucking app, uninstall java 8, throw on preferred java 7 and run sep managament console.

17. NSanity

NSanity Member

Some devices are just that good.

If you have a WAN connection and you have multiple types of traffic - they actually perform miracles.

18. ausghostdog

ausghostdog Member

snip**snip

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  19. power

power Member

pretty sure I said you know nothing about my network.

20. ausghostdog

ausghostdog Member

*snip**snip*

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015