1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. leighr

leighr Member

In the past, I've sold some of my out of warranty gear to companies like Interactive. Depending on what you've got and how it matches up with gear that they've got support contracts for, sometimes you can make money. Not a lot, but last time I gave them a couple of blade chassis, it covered the cost of the other two pallet loads of assorted, mostly broken crap that I wanted them to remove as well.

I'm sure other third party hardware support type companies would have a similar service.

2. scips

scips Member

esxi>shadowprotect>IM.hsr job> VHD for old hyper v host......VM resized in esxi.............sigh

3. wazza

wazza Member

At least they tell you when a new AM comes on. I've recently canned a contract with a print management company due to frequent unannounced AM changes. The last changeover it took them 4 weeks to have a new AM assigned to our account, and telling them of the outstanding issues simply resulted in a lot of head nodding but no action, so I terminated the contract. They then had the hide to complain that we didn't give them a chance to correct the issues (that they'd already said they couldn't/wouldn't fix!).

4. joe_sixpack

joe_sixpack Member

I've got in the warehouse a bunch of IBM BladeCenter H series chassis and blades, FC and switch modules that are just gathering dust, bound for the tip I reckon.. They are the worst items of kit to try and offload, can't use them for home labs, power requirements are high and the noise is ridiculousness. Best advice is to either repurpose them as test/dev or hide them away for a few years then toss em in a skip.

5. Pookey

Pookey Member

We've had the same Dell AM for quite a few years where I work. We definitely don't have a 6 month churn.

6. xplod140

xplod140 Member

I don't know if anyone else has noticed but fucking websense doesn't auto flag and report netflix as netflix, just as streaming media listed as IP addresses. So we're in the process of blocking their IP range amongst other things. The main problem is it that it's been abused by people with elevated privelages. They will be getting a "please explain biz justification" email etc.

7. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

Few thoughts on that matter...

1) Can't you just block the netflix front end (website)? Don't you need to actually log in to initiate a stream?

2) Can you block protocols? Or would that also block the likes of youtube which can be occasionally relevant to the business, but more often than not just provide a short sub 3 minute outlet to break up the tedium?

3) Be passive-aggressive until they get the point. Email users their usage and sources directly and plot them on a bell curve. If they're smart enough to retain as workers, they'll get the point and stop. If they're complete dumbasses, they'll walk right into their own redundancy. This way there's no need to involve management until the smart people have attained self awareness. I BET that a single day after the email, 90% of the traffic stops permanently. Thus giving you a much smaller pool of people who can't take a hint for actual disciplinary action. This also leaves netflix viewable for people who just want to pay their bill at work.

8. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Should be interesting next time the MS licensing agreement comes up...

http://www.zdnet.com/article/micros...icense-prices-as-of-august-1/#ftag=RSSbaffb68

15% in 2012, 13% in 2015... No rise for cloud based licenses though... funny that.

Aka... we can change what we charge, and as long as we don't hit the critical mass, the stay-or-go decision is always going to be 'stay'

9. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Or to redo your cost/benefit with the new numbers, and see if it still stacks up, I would expect for a relatively small business it probably won't. (and probably doesn't now).

But for medium or larger business, with well entrenched programs and processes reliant on the windows stack, the costs could rise 2 or 3 fold before investigations into what it would actually take to migrate, would begin.

The cost (both outright, and in lost productivity) for re-education and training are the killer in many scenarios, but for <20 people, probably not insurmountable.

10. dr1fta

dr1fta Member

I think its completely up to the amount of business you put through. I was on the churn cycle until about 12-18 months ago. Our new AM is great and can finally fix some of the obvious process problems happening at Dell

To put the numbers into perspective we are buying around 2,000 laptops plus maybe 50k of networking infrastructure from them PA

11. Daemon

Daemon Member

That's ok, if you think those price hikes are bad then look at the SPLA increases. Nearly 30% in 2013, 20% in 2014 and 10-20% again in 2015 (50% if your'e talking Dynamics licenses). One price rise can be absorbed, but 3 large jumps within 3 years has to be passed onto customers. Of course, everyone loves price hikes too.

The cynical version of me would think that having Azure prices including hosting nearly cheaper than what we can buy licensing for would be anti-competitive... but Microsoft would never do that. :tongue:

12. Falkor

Falkor Member

Has anyone mentioned how they changed SQL licensing to be per core and not per socket anymore?

We are about to get shafted for SQL licensing.. awesome

13. NSanity

NSanity Member

My SPLA stuff didn't change this year...?

Actually I think Windows Server did, nothing else. We were told it was down to the AUD vs USD.

Per Socket was made in a time with Dual cores (perhaps even single cores).

Given you can now stuff 18 Cores in a Socket (More if you go E7), i think that its fair to a point.

14. Daemon

Daemon Member

You mean per two cores? And, you need to license a minimum of 4 cores (even if there's only 2).

If you need clarification, the SQL Server Licensing "Quick Reference" guide is over 20 pages long......

15. NSanity

NSanity Member

SQL Licensing is a fucking nightmare, I'll give you that.

I actually think their documentation examples makes it worse...

16. Daemon

Daemon Member

Server DC edition is what I was basing my increases off, since that's the only cost effective way to run it with lots of VM's.

17. NSanity

NSanity Member

Yeah, Server Base Licenses all went up - but everything else (apps, cal's, etc) didn't move.

Or at least thats what we've noticed.

We only really do Server, Office, Exchange, SQL + CAL's.

18. Falkor

Falkor Member

Yeah fair enough, but you'd think they would then adjust the per core price so my previously licensed 2 socket server that has 16 cores now costs around about the same right.. But from the pricing i've seen.. not really no.

I dunno, Microsoft licensing right? Its nuts i'm glad I don't have to deal with it too much

19. NSanity

NSanity Member

I knew there was a reason i didn't like EoC services...

20. Gunna

Gunna Member

*hugs my 2 fibre connections*