1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

I run a surface 3 pro, not a 4, but I had this problem too. The native resolution is ridiculous.

We gave them to a few staff and they all complained that they couldn't read anything - we have lots of business apps that aren't DPI aware, so they are unusable with high DPI settings.

I used this https://www.reddit.com/r/Surface/comments/2pqyso/surface_pro_3_screen_resolution_tip/ and set them all to 1440x960 res with 125% DPI scaling. I find this makes most things readable and so far all our apps work fine with this level of scaling.

If you're only worried about RDP, you can download version 2.2 of Remote Desktop Connection Manager, which lets you force a resolution and isn't DPI aware so it doesn't shrink everything down.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  2. FiShy

FiShy Member

Big fan of the SP3 and BYOD exploded at my work due how versatile they are.

3. NSanity

NSanity Member

Yeah. its literally my only complaint.

4. cvidler

cvidler Member

Yeah, I wasn't eligible*, but all the sales and pre-sales guys got Pro 3's about March ago, they all love them. And one of the gov depts I work regularly at, replaced all their desktops with Pro 3's with success. The only issue is they obviously forgot about all external contractors, now it's musical chairs every morning to find a desk with a PC still on it.

*Being a techo, it was determined that I "need" a laptop.

5. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

They might have the resources and experience for it, but they don't seem to have the desire for it. Cloud First, Mobile First is great, but they are alienating and disenfranchising a large portion of their (historically) locked in userbase.

Nadella's mantra has been at the cost of QA, and at the cost of a large amount of trust that was built during the Ballmer years. Sure, he wasn't dynamic, and didn't understand the modern world. But during the Ballmer years, I can count on 1 hand the number of patches that I pulled. Since Nadella, I'm pulling AT LEAST one a month for one reason or another, and these aren't little issues or edge cases, This month, a patch that was supposed to allow Admins to disable Outlook safe mode, instead MADE OUTLOOK OPEN IN SAFE MODE EVERY TIME. how the fuck does that get signed off?

Because so much new stuff hits the hosted MS Solutions first, and then may or may not trickle into the on-prem versions, Microsoft are using it as a defacto cattle prod to drive business to the cloud when many simply can't, aren't ready, or more to the point, DON'T WANT TO.

When (if?) I get forced to the cloud, you can bet damn sure, if (when?) the business is sick of it, and we move back down, It's unlikely to be to the same platform as the cloud, and its at this point that MS will start to see the drop in revenues.

Paying On Prem AD/Exchange Customer -> Paying 365 customer -> Non Paying On Prem $somethingelse customer

will be the tried and true path for many of the bread and butter business that are currently on the MS Stack.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  6. TehCamel

TehCamel Member

The surfaces are great, I really want one but having trouble getting budgetary approval..

set up 2 SB4s, 2 Pro3s so far, got some Pro4s comin in the near year

7. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

I really love the idea of the surface and for that matter, the size and weight of the little 12" 7250's we're handing out at the moment. When it comes to getting any work done though, I can't see myself ever giving up on my 15" plus laptops. Tiny little screens and even tinier little keyboards just don't work for me.

8. Daemon

Daemon Member

Sauce? Haven't seen anything about this, I would have thought there'd be more noise if that's the case.

9. tin

tin Member

So glad I caught you're mention of that in the other thread... Had an elderly customer get hit by it, and he uses:
    * Dragon to talk to it.
    * A screen reader to have it read back (technically this is part of the next one).
    * A screen zooming program.

All 3 features have Outlook plugins. All 3 failed to work when they didn't have their plugins running.

And this old guy wants to upgrade to Windows 10 because MS keeps telling him it's being used by eleventy billion people now. :rolleyes:

10. greebs

greebs Member

Yup, I've seen places where IT staff (and most of them, not just ones that might need it) used domain admin accounts as their normal login. Not good.

11. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

Yikes. I guess no-one told taught them about the principle of least privilege.

12. TehCamel

TehCamel Member

yea... i have a 13" laptop and generally work on 2x22s and a normal keyboard/mouse
    i only have to use it as a laptop itself for fairly short periods

13. NSanity

NSanity Member

_Dre said they closed up a year ago? or something -

I have a mate @ Iconinc.com.au who mentioned it. His CEO the day before was just batting off clients left right and centre "cloud! not us!".

He's just lucky that he pushed backups that day to S3 - loss is minimal, but he reckons he'll be a day rebuilding everything on aws

14. Daemon

Daemon Member

They Phoenix traded the company leaving Vocus high and dry, I'm sure it's not the end of that story yet (1.5 million owed to Vocus). Somehow they "valued" their assests at only 20k and Rack Hosting Pty Ltd respawned as Rack Central Pty Ltd days later.

That should have been a clear enough warning for anyone to move on, I can't fathom how they retained customers.

Any good web dev agency should have a DR process in case their upstream provider goes belly up, even those who remain in business can take "days" to restore backups.

AWS ... hope he likes average performance!

15. NSanity

NSanity Member

his impact was ~20 sites (including their own).

I believe they have most of their current stuff on EC2 Aus now. he isn't complaining about it.

I presume you guys are co-lo'd.

16. IKT

IKT Member

They don't want the cheap market, they want the premium market because

http://fortune.com/2013/04/16/pie-chart-of-the-day-apples-oversize-share-of-pc-profits/

https://fortunedotcom.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/387829411249.png

All the profits are in the premium end of the business, and that business despite having lower sales has massively higher sales margins, and why it's unlikely you'll ever see a 'cheap' mac.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2015
  17. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

Demonstrating the monstrous stupidity, gullibility and "vulnerability to ego" (fashion) of a large percentage of society. Then they try to tout the benefits of crApple to me........FFS.

18. millsy

millsy Member

The one good thing about apple is it's 'user friendly linux' for the masses.

It's quite popular for a coding platform for that reason. If I didn't hate the price/performance ratio, screen hinge and OSX UI I would probably own one.

19. NSanity

NSanity Member

Except it's a bastardized bsd?

20. Zedd02

Zedd02 Member

It's "Lowest Common Denominator Friendly Linux".

I made the change to a Macbook Pro earlier this year, because I didn't want a Surface. It's SO BAD, in SO MANY WAYS. But, if you'd never heard of a PC, it's much easier to understand than either Windows or Linux (any Linux).

If you've got some experience, it's so backwards it's annoying. Default options are completely reversed from what they should be. Switches are completely different from EVERY SINGLE OTHER DISTRIBUTION. Things you'd expect to be simple are ridiculous, things that should have a barrier to entry are completely open to abuse.

It's horrid, but it works. Why am I sticking with it? Because I'll need to know how to drive a Mac for when I deal with people who've used it all their lives, but still haven't figured out that it has a command line.