1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. TehCamel

TehCamel Member

Media/AV installer company, to director:

It works at your house, why don't you just make the wireless network simple like it is there.

me:
    Facepalm.

what i won't explain to them:

Because there is generally only a couple of people at your house. Not 200 people. Your house is also a bit more isolated, not in a shared building with tenants above who all also want to use 2.4Ghz

Also, why the fuck does your device need to use wired AND wireless access anyway?

2. olie

olie Member

^^^

The amount of times I explain to people that "3G" in "3G HD-SDI" is how much bandwidth it uses... not what wireless frequency it transmits at... :sick:

Also: We have 2700 series AP's, why the fuck do I keep finding consumer DSL/WAP's plugged in around the place.

"err, I couldn't remember where to plug in, so I just put this in, but then I had to go to static addresses because my Ipad keeps getting a different address to the mixing console"

-actual conversation

halp. :upset:

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  3. ewok85

ewok85 Member

switchport port-security
    switchport port-security maximum 2
    switchport port-security violation restrict
    switchport port-security mac-address sticky
    spanning-tree bpduguard enable
    spanning-tree portfast

Problem fixed!

4. olie

olie Member

Man I would love to...

Our network is just too dynamic, ports can change devices daily as equipment rolls around, and hired gear comes in.

I would have ports shutting down left right and centre.

BRB, implementing before I go home sick. :lol:

5. cvidler

cvidler Member

nah go full 802.1X
    nothing without a valid certificate gets access.

6. ewok85

ewok85 Member

At a minimum you should have bpduguard enabled which is a requirement really. Use the err-recovery and set it to 5mins which can help.

Considered by many to be the bare minimum required for wired security as well. No cost to implement, takes an afternoon to setup and test (assuming you have AD, use MDM - even free Meraki System Manager)

7. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

I've got like 5 of them ready... Was super chill throughout so no rage... This time [emoji14]

8. scrantic

scrantic Member

Happy Monday.

My day started with one of our branches offline. I was waiting for them to get in got the call and they'd had a break in. The morons made it into our server room opened the fibre termination box somehow and ripped out all of our fibre termination. Running on our 4Mb ADSL backup link and IPSec for now.

9. cvidler

cvidler Member

what an odd thing to do. searching for copper?

expecting candy inside the termination box?

10. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

expecting keys probably.
    finding none they went full retard.

11. leighr

leighr Member

Possibly to kill comms to minimise alarms? Parent's store had phone line cut when it was broken into, so alarm system displayed a fault, rather than motion sensors and stuff going off.

12. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

My main office was broken into today as well. Really high class criminals we attracted though, they stole a bunch of chips and chocolates from the social fund (left the money tin?), stole a heap of mostly old and obsolete camera gear and that was pretty much it. They left behind a lot of near new camera gear, $5K dslr bodies, lenses, video cameras etc. Didn't take any of the light and easily portable 12" laptops. Hell my office had a pile of them right on the corner of the desk, $10K worth of laptops just sitting there.. untouched.

13. Daemon

Daemon Member

Our office was broken into a week ago, except our thieves were dumber than yours :) Three people broke into our front foyer, which triggered the alarm + we had them on camera. They then panicked and left right away, where council security cameras tracked them until the police arrested them less than an hour later.

Zero items taken, one damaged window and they'll now have criminal convictions for break and enter. Brilliantly executed :thumbup:

14. scrantic

scrantic Member

Keys, Cash or Alarm disarming was my only logic.

Full retard indeed.

15. GreyWolfe01

GreyWolfe01 Member

Who in here was putting graphics cards in ESX hosts to provide graphical grunt for RDS servers? We've got a potential reason to look into it and just looking for some informed opinions.

16. Gunna

Gunna Member

F$%# me - how do some companies survive!!!

Purchased some workflow software, for 5 figures a year. It will allows us to control flow and versions for internal paperwork as well as paperwork coming from the 60+ people in the field. Our European office has tested the free version for 12 months and works well.

We decide to splash out the for 12 months paid version for the bells and whistles.

I'm a Windows admin and can figure most things out, scripting and CLI dont phase me however I have highlighted 14 points wrong with their documentation on installing Apache, PHP and MySQL - all of which I have not touched in past. Once on the phone to tech support to get it working they could not give me an answer on how secure these packages were out of the box so i'll learn these as part of due diligence to ensure there are no holes however he highlighted I need to keep up to date on the supported version numbers otherwise features may not work, these supported version numbers are not always the most current.

Some of the 14 points were incorrect version numbers on the documentation compared to the supported versions found buried in their site, links to newer versions than are supported, very specific filenames that have changed between the revisions of the software and dead links outlining key steps to take.

17. NSanity

NSanity Member

I've considered it, but I believe hyperv is the only way to get remotefx running.

Ask Vader

18. grommet80

grommet80 Member

19. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

So I rebuilt my WSUS server today for no reason... Well played Microsoft.

20. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Did you do any research at all prior to rebuilding it? There's a fair amount of info out around this one.