Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. ewok85

ewok85 Member

The backbone is the provided - NTT is just the lastmile and it's handed off to the provided who has their own backbone from the local exchanges.

NTT is the green shaded circle: http://www.bit-drive.ne.jp/internet/flets-ftth/images/img-index-01.gif

2. Gunna

Gunna Member

Explain further.......

3. Luke212

Luke212 Member

not here. go to nbn thread and ask :p

4. Gunna

Gunna Member

No,

I'm hoping these are the only issues i need to iron our. Our EU office is using the freeware version so its a simple installer package. As we have the paid versiona nd want it on a Windows box it seems to........complicate things.

Once operational i'm hoping its as solid as the freeware version Eu uses and what I tested

5. Luke212

Luke212 Member

usually NTT will have to pay the backhaul company per Mbs for access. its up to NTT to buy more Mbs from the backhaul, which I assume they can do but dont for financial reasons.

6. ewok85

ewok85 Member

NTT owns everything - they are the 3rd biggest telecom in the world and #65 on the global Fortune 500. The issue is while typically service is incredibly good, NTT is very slow to move and make upgrades which leads to this situation where usage is outstripping capacity at an alarming rate.

The big issue we are facing is that in these large commercial buildings NTT is the only option we have - other providers are effectively blocked out either due to cost or simply due to the building not wanting to have to undertake the required construction to have new infrastructure installed. Some buildings like the Maru building and Shin-maru building are near full capacity - I had multiple lines installed for a customer and they had to pull them from different parts of the building simply because the 2 closest distribution points were full; these buildings were built 10 years ago and were envisioned to have big clients spanning multiple floors, but are moving towards having many smaller clients. A typical client will have 2~4 separate lines, and a single floor will have up to 10 clients. With around 28 floors of office space that's lots of fiber.

Edit: Just got handed a Cisco 1852i access point. All I can say is what. the. fuck.

Last edited: May 17, 2016
  7. TehCamel

TehCamel Member

just create the god damn txt record.
    don't worry about the fact that it's registered at one place, delegated to another and will be moved away from that delegation in 2 months time
    just create the god damn record

8. mwil7034

mwil7034 Member

lol exactly this, I work for NTT ICT Aus and I don't think I've met a single person in Aus who knows who they are lol. They are bigger than AT&T and Microsoft for peats sake.

As you say they own everything! Its 32% owned by the Japanese government, essentially its the Telstra of Japan.

As with all large corporates and Japan in general, things change at a glacial pace for a period before a flurry of activity once they put their minds to something.

9. NSanity

NSanity Member

10. chip

chip Member

What's so wrong about it?

11. ewok85

ewok85 Member

First, there are only 3 Cisco switches (3650, 3850 and 4500 w/Sup-8E) that support the link aggregation to use both gigabit ports - it uses a new LAG type called LAGB. So off the bat I need to purchase specific switches to get the full performance of this AP.

In LWAPP mode it's not so bad, it's the 802.11ac wave 2 version of the 1700 series, a decent low-cost well performing model.

Out of the box it comes setup in "Mobility Express" mode - the AP basically has a simple controller so that you can quickly setup multiple access points into a single managed wireless network very quickly. This is the major selling point of the 1830 and 1850 models. You can attach any other Cisco lightweight access point such as 1600/1700/2700/3700 models as well.

Here is where the catches come in - what you get is extremely limited control, with advanced features simply being on or off without the granular control you get with a proper WLC. Access is over the air only, no console. The controller GUI is super basic (if you have used the Cisco WLC 8.1 or later, it's basically the Dashboard) and you are heavily restricted by what you can do. You can basically created a WLAN, choose an authentication method (open, WPA2, 802.1X), QOS level and VLAN tag. That's about it.
    http://www.slideshare.net/CiscoCanada/innovations-in-mobility

CLI apparently has a very limited command set - you can enter most of the normal commands, but it will ignore many of them.

Basically they are aiming at companies without IT support by pushing a basic solution which can be managed by an iPhone.

I'm not impressed - for around the same money I can get a WLC in the "Mobility Express Bundle" like AIR-AP1702i-X-WLC and have a fully featured wireless network that isn't all that hard to configure, and doesn't restrict me to using a very basic and questionable configuration. It doesn't make sense to use this for a single AP deployment (any other model of AP works fine in standalone mode), and as soon as you have more than 2 AP you want a real controller solution anyway.

I'm taking the 1850 home tonight, I'll post some screenshots for you later.

Edit: Here are some screenshots for the 1830 using older firmware - https://www.packet6.com/deploying-cisco-mobility-express/

I love this image which shows the AP has selected a channel that is already heavily utilised, showing that DCA is either not enabled or not working as intended. Have fun troubleshooting that! http://www.packet6.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/cisco-mobility-express-12-752x496.png

Last edited: May 17, 2016
  12. chip

chip Member

Ugh, that sounds like a step backwards. I thought they bought Meraki for the SME point and click stuff, it's a shame their 'proper' kit is being hamstrung.

13. ewok85

ewok85 Member

I think I get where they are going - you can buy a few of these and have a basic but powerful wireless network with very little effort, and then purchase a 2504 WLC (or whatever) and have a full enterprise network without replacing the access points.

14. Dre_

Dre_ Member

Absolutely loving Azure DNS!

Also, Google i/o is just one day away, the entire conference is outdoors this year.
    What have those crazy people got planned this time?

15. Dre_

Dre_ Member

Put a server ip, all ports open and admin creds onto 4chan last night.
    No one bothered to connect, ruined a demo for this morning. :rolleyes:

16. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

Look at aruba instant. Doing the controllerless thing way before Cisco without losing the advanced features. Scales to hundreds of waps. Westfield uses it!

17. GreyWolfe01

GreyWolfe01 Member

Does anyone actually go on 4chan anymore, or just the reddit 4chan channel?

18. GreyWolfe01

GreyWolfe01 Member

And westfield's wifi is a POS that can't handle congestion.

Unless you are talking about westfield office wifi and not shopping centre wifi.

19. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I haven't been able to get any decent speeds out of a Westfield shopping centre WiFi setup in years. Assuming I can even connect to them at all. Terrible.

Brisbane City Council public stuff has been OK if you're in range (typically you get these in parks and things, and vegetation has a pretty good habit of knocking out 2.4GHz). But when you do get a signal, it's decent.

Other free WiFi services are pretty bad. Most of the time I avoid them and stick to 3G/4G.

Australia is still the third world of the Internet.

20. GreyWolfe01

GreyWolfe01 Member

They've partnered with optus to provide free net access via a portal. With low congestion it works fairly well, but any kind of busy day and it dies slowly and painfully.