Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Shags

Shags Member

I am so sad, surrounded by fools being paid the same as myself, i recieved an after hours call last night from an 'engineer' who could not figure out why he couldn't ping a host he added to the network.

Took me two seconds to find the problem.

Local subnet 10.0.0.0 /27 , He adds a host on 10.0.0.220 and wonders why it can't ping the rest of the hosts, tells me the switch must be faulty or have cisco proprietary security options enabled because he's tried everything else.

This from a guy who's paid 80k base :(

2. Foliage

Foliage Member

Network engineer who doesn't understand subnets? That is even taught at uni in comp sci and in the first half of CCNA. I would hope even non network engineers know that.

Was it at least an oversight and he slapped his forehead when you told him?

3. millsy

millsy Member

My inner optimist hopes he just hadn't had his daily coffee, my inner realist is shaking his head big time and wondering why I'm paid so little :p.

4. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Once again, your mind would be blown if you saw just how many people have no clue, and have jobs where these skills should be mandatory.

Yes, the industry is really that fucked up. It's frightening.

5. millsy

millsy Member

Heh I was at a place desigining their new DR for them and I was doing a final check of everything in place before we installed it.

Okay so where's the core switch and the dmz switch?

Oh... forgot about those...

>.> Are you kidding me.

6. Shags

Shags Member

Not network engineer, his role is to manage 13 sites, ~40 servers, ~400 workstations.

The title given to him was IT engineer, but it doesn't matter, it's basic subnetting, it should be known at his level, fuck, it should be the first thing level 1 helpdesk is taught. He's been in the industry for 10 years.

And no, when i told him, i got "ohh ok, so how do we fix that" , I should be paid more.

7. damn duck

damn duck Member

I've been in IT for over 5 years. I leave subnetting to people I contract in.

8. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

The quality of your posts elsewhere in this forum give a pretty good indication as to the type of employee you'd be. No doubt there's a lot of things you leave to others in your job.

9. mooboyj

mooboyj Member

Management material right there:lol::tired::Paranoid:

10. FiShy

FiShy Member

I always assume that server people (expecially wintel ones) think we are pre CIDR and all gateways are .1 and all nets are 255.255.255.0

11. The_Derro

The_Derro Member

Every time I try to hire people for my team I remember this thread.

So many people, who have every manner of certification and titles, but who cannot explain basic concepts like ARP.

My standard interview question weeds out so many people.

2 switches, each with say 6 ports on each. half the ports in VLAN10, half the ports in VLAN20

The switches are connected via a link in mode access.. Switch1 is access VLAN 10, the Switch2 is VLAN 20.

The question is simple.. If a PC on Switch 1, VLAN10, sends out a Broadcast, which PC's will receive it.

MOST people recognise that you shouldn't be connecting the switches together with an Access Port. But very few can actually explain what will happen, and WHY it's happening.

I've had people tell me that all PC's on both VLAN's will receive the broadcast.. those interviews usually don't last long.

I find that most people are just configuration monkeys. They know how to read documentation and Google for appropriate config, but very few actually understand what they're doing. When faced with a scenario that is incorrect/broken, they can't actually explain why... and they usually have a title like "Senior Network Administrator" or similar.

12. damn duck

damn duck Member

Nailed it. Why learn when you can outsource and delegate?

13. NSanity

NSanity Member

so how exactly, have you worked in IT for 5 years...

14. damn duck

damn duck Member

Talk shit and can google.

15. NSanity

NSanity Member

right, so you haven't. cool.

16. damn duck

damn duck Member

Are you certain I haven't worked in IT for 5 years?

17. millsy

millsy Member

If anything you're saying is true, you are literally what this thread is about

18. zandahar

zandahar Member

Sounds like one of those IT people that sit in the corner of the meeting room bashing away on thier tablet trying to quickly google what the fuck everyone else in the room is talking about.

19. damn duck

damn duck Member

That's me. Is there a problem? I get whatever work I need to do done, and everyone smiles and pats me on the back for a job well done and "finally, someone who speaks English from the IT department!"

If you can't explain something simply, you don't understand it. That's a vital lesson, because it doesn't matter if what you're saying makes perfect sense - if the manager's don't understand, it doesn't matter what you know or how many degrees you have.

I have none and know next to nothing compared to you lot.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  20. millsy

millsy Member

Not sure if troll or serious