1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Fuckers stole our Grand Prix and ruined it for everyone.

Clipsal just isn't the same.

2. Hive

Hive Member

Christ fucking sake. When more of your day is spent fixing co-workers installations than not you wonder why you even bother delegating basic shit. This is borderline embarrassing now that he still has a job.

I could both our jobs more effectively it seems. Come on who the SHIT thinks WSD print is a smart idea ANYWHERE. WHO THEN THROWS IT ON WIFI WHEN THERE'S AN ETHERNET PORT A METER AWAY. Who then GPO deploys it across the network with le WSD print connection, where there's proprietary software that blocks the ability for even administrators to uninstall the printer on workstations, good luck fixing that fucking shit. Oh and huuuuuge surprise when 10 page print jobs would take 20 minutes, wsd is arse. Oh and you can't switch it over to a new TCP/IP port as it has a sook that it's not supported. Reinstall and get rid of it manually on each computer.

To him leaving this as it was, was a "complete" job. Not even tested to find that printing is slower than <whatever>

Rant over, thank fuck it's friday.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
  3. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I wanted to do a cantenna project for my shed, but then my Ubiquiti AP-AC-Lite went ahead and was all super powerful and stuff, so now I don't need to.

Kinda bummed out.

4. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

I think Elvis has a quote for this.

5. bcann

bcann Member

Logged a ticket a week and a half ago with our MSP, to setup QOS so our SIP trunks to our remote sites get prioritised for better call quality.

First attemp they take out 3 of our sites by crashing the Cisco Routers. No Calls, No Emails, just them quietly saying Oops i fucked it, logging off then leaving me to wander in the next day to 3 sites completely down.

Ring up the Service manager, he waffles on and kinda acknowledges it, but doesn't apologise and then proceeds to badger me on what i am asking and how they don't understand exactly what i am asking for. Its REAL DAMN SIMPLE, QOS LLQ SIP/RTP AUDIO. I then told him its quite simple, if you don't understand what i am asking bloody call me or email me.

let it go another 3 days and when they finally do setup QOS on our Cisco gear (They say all sites done, apart from 3 dsl sites they crashed the other day) find out its only our main Office site, AND they haven't even tagged SIP and RTP Audio, so all packets go into the general "MEH" queue instead of priority and we are still on the same friggen problem as when i first called them.

So i logged in spent all of about 5 mins per site (ADSL site still crashed when applying QOS to interface, so i'll have a road trip next week to fix it onsite, rather then hard lock the router again) setting up QOS and wow, amazing what happens when you actually TAG the right traffic into the priority queue.

I guess i should've known when i saw CCP on our servers as that is what their "qualified" Cisco guy uses to program our Cisco stuff.

6. ewok85

ewok85 Member

To be fair, QoS is fairly high-intermediate stuff. If these muppets have port 80 open to the world and are using Cisco/Cisco they aren't going to be able to work out QoS.

7. scips

scips Member

Scheduler fucked up passing after hours roster to the after hours call service, got 3 calls and i wasnt the primary :mad:

8. NSanity

NSanity Member

9. mooboyj

mooboyj Member

Another large customer is closing at Christmas. We will be gradually turning their services off until they close.

Perth is rooted, absolutely bloody rooted :Paranoid: We are expecting more clients to close up at Christmas as well.

10. Gunna

Gunna Member

Feeling the effects of the slow down in mining or something else?

11. NSanity

NSanity Member

Perth/WA has been on a downswing for probably 18 months now.

12. looktall

longer than that.

13. ex4n

ex4n Member

Glad I'm not the only one feeling the 'bleak' in Perth.

14. Unframed

Unframed Member

I was asked to teach the support team I was a part of the basics of our Linux support (90% Windows-centric support team) - last Friday I walk them all through using fstab to auto-mount a CIFS share.

Just now one of the team members asks me how would you "share a NAS to Linux"

Sometimes I wonder about the employment process (though they have been here for 2 years).

15. mooboyj

mooboyj Member

Perth has been slowing since 2012. It is still slowing and hasn't come back up yet. My boss was at an industry junket and they were tipping another 3 years before you see any growth over here... I work for a 4 person MSP/ISP, I won't be the first to go, but I would be the second. I'm not looking forward to January, I can see a lot of businesses not opening from the Christmas break:Paranoid:

16. mooboyj

mooboyj Member

And to top off this mostly shitful of days, I just found out an old friend committed suicide:( Today can GTFO.

17. Dre_

Dre_ Member

Start servicing Indonesia, same time zone and it is blowing up!
    They are also incredibly open to dealing with Australia

18. Zzapped

Zzapped Member

So.last week a call was logged with a particular provider of services as we have done some extensive onsite testing and discovered a bottleneck on one of our oracle servers with memory, They suggest an upgrade to 32G from the 16G currently in the server, Great I say.........send me down the ram and ill install it so we don't have to waste time and money on sending a tech down, Ram arrives today along with the RAM upgrade instructions........16 pages of them, duplexed !!!!!!

19. looktall

did you follow them?

20. Foliage

Foliage Member

Did it give step by step instructions for building moulding and tooling to make the tools required to open the case?