Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

zomg just found this and I want it

https://www.stickermule.com/marketplace/3305-fear-change

This guy knows what's up.

"We are mostly in the business of helping rich guys, who have no concern for ethics or law or social justice, unemploy people. Software could be so much more, but we’ve let it become this disgusting business that I’m embarrassed to have been a part of."

https://lobste.rs/s/yhrd2r/developer_hiring_market_for_lemons

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  2. FatBoyNotSoSlim

FatBoyNotSoSlim Member

Do we have a consolidated cloud rant thread?

When your authentication provider goes down for a few hours, and I'm up all night telling customers it'll be working again as soon as Auth0 have it fixed... Then have to deal with people that take the downtime personally as it's ruined their live.... All over a $15 product they couldn't access for a few hours.

https://status.auth0.com/

[​IMG]

(Yes, I'm tired and grumpy right now)

3. OP
    OP
    elvis

The reoccurring theme of this thread is "someone didn't want to pay, but then cried for hours when it broke".

I'm now at a point in my career where I have zero sympathy for anyone who has suffered any sort of business loss as a result of cheaping out on a decision (doubly so when their technical advisers told them not to, and they ignored the advice).

That's called getting what they deserve.

4. Hive

Hive Member

Good god yes, i'm still waiting for this new server we installed into a factory/office to be killed completely by a surge as they didn't deem a UPS necessary.

5. Unframed

Unframed Member

Within our office we have our entire network running via a 1Gb fibre pipe to the DC we use and out from there. A few weeks back we added some switch redundancy in the DC which offlined our office for a few hours (but was Saturday so effected no one).

Yesterday I get a call at 6AM telling me the network is down in the office from my colleagues in the U.S., sure enough once the sales monkeys get in it's all MY fault. They start mentioning my work in the DC blah blah blah.

Anyway - after contacting our ISP and checking our switch configs etc it turns out that it was a Uecomm switch failure causing all of the issues. Sure enough, no thanks, no sorry for blaming you. Bunch of wankers.

TL;DR - Sales people are ungrateful jerks

6. FerrisXB9R

FerrisXB9R Member

You're in the wrong industry if you're looking for recognition for your efforts. 99% of the shit we do goes unthanked and unnoticed.

7. Foliage

Foliage Member

Work for a small business and you get recognition, in a big business you get actively blamed for fixing stuff that wasn't even in your job description. We do some work for large government departments and good god they are assholes. The smaller companies however are great to work with and you get appraisals sent to your bosses thanking for your excellent work. The difference is absolutely staggering, most of the large gov departments are actively hostile towards me. It is bizarre.

8. Unframed

Unframed Member

I sort of came to expect it but you know, rant thread.

9. FerrisXB9R

FerrisXB9R Member

Oh yeah, I'm not telling you anything you don't already know. :)

10. Punk

Punk Member

Gov Dept: Punk we are sick of these downtime events, they are causing issues.
    Punk: Look I understand that downtime causes issues (Duuurrrr)... But to fix these issue you need to spend $$$ on this solution.
    Gov Dept: *Chirp* *Chirp*
    Punk: Palm>Face

It's like a classic tale that get's retold again and again.

11. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

CC them on the previous email conversation and add no new words.

12. OP
    OP
    elvis

I've been doing this more frequently of late. As much as it irritates the receiver, it really starts to sink in after the third time that they're not actually solving problems by asking the same questions over and over while ignoring the answers.

It also demonstrates pretty well to others who are the people who fix things in the face of adversity and challenges, and who are the "keep asking questions until I get an answer I like" types.

13. GreenBeret

GreenBeret Member

It really doesn't matter what you call temporary storage on a compute node or cluster:

/scratch
    /tmp
    /temporary
    /tmpdata
    /ephemeral

or even

/deleted-items

and stick a big ass flashing sign that this storage is not for storing anything permanent, only while the job is running...

plus training courses which address the very topic

There will be people using it to store long term data... and bitch when theirs get deleted.

"But but but I thought that's extra free storage for me??"

14. Punk

Punk Member

It's not really working for this place :tongue:

15. OP
    OP
    elvis

So "/scratch" is literally what our scratch area is called. I logged onto a workstation the other day that had previously been used by a contractor (who had since left for a job overseas), and was reported as performing poorly. I see inside of scratch the following folder:

/scratch/IMPORTANT PERSONAL FILES BELONGING TO $CONTRACTOR-NAME PLEASE DON'T DELETE BUT FIRST CALL $MOBILE-PHONE-NUMBER

I laughed to myself as I hit the button and staged that sucker for automatic PXE wipe and rebuild. :lol:

16. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showpost.php?p=17337931&postcount=252

Sometimes, it's not even Manglement :).

IME, if you've got a folder called "Temp - 7 Days only" and don't clear things older than 7 days, then the user ends up with an expectation that they can store junk there long term, which will result in tears when you finally do start clearing anything older than 7 days from it.

One part of me thinks that those tears are justified...

<Car Analogy> Theres a road with a speed limit of 60, everyone, even the police do 80 down it, every day, nobody cares... then one day, everyone gets a ticket... Sure, legally, you shouldn't have been doing 80, but the expectation was set (when you followed the police car doing 80)
    </Car Analogy>

17. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

i had a user some years back who was having performance issues in outlook.

i was sitting there with the user checking it out and said ok, let's clear up this mailbox a little and get rid of some un-needed junk.
    right click on deleted items-->empty deleted item.

the user starts to panic "no, i had important emails in there that i was still working on".

not even kidding.

18. GreyWolfe01

GreyWolfe01 Member

Systemic. FMD.

19. OP
    OP
    elvis

I've seen this a couple of times in my career. I know I rant about people who abuse spreadsheets and email on a regular basis, but folks that get it this wrong need to be put to pasture before their incompetence causes permanent damage.

20. TehCamel

TehCamel Member

Why has noone created an Internet Of Things sex toy yet?