1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. DavidRa

DavidRa Member

It will, but it'll take 11 hours (and custom integration) to do it. (Note: Link is one of hundreds of reports of this "incident").

2. Unframed

Unframed Member

I just ate a giant burger and now I have no energy to work. Shit rant I know but I'm dead.

3. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I'm on week 6 of 8 weeks of super clean eating. 6KG down, 2 inches off the waist. Look great, but would stab a sumbitch for a burger and a beer.

2 month long hangry.

4. Unframed

Unframed Member

Just to up that rage, this is what I had.

[​IMG]

5. OP
    OP
    elvis

I'm am elvis' seething envy.

6. bcann

bcann Member

So pay peanuts, get swiss cheese security model :)

7. OP
    OP
    elvis

Yeah, this is true too. As technology becomes more common place, people's familiarity trivialises it, and thus the perceived value of people who are good at it is lowered.

It also doesn't help that most business folk don't even have the tools nor intellect to be able to tell good technical people from bad ones.

What a cluster fuck. It might be my low blood sugar talking, but the whole thing depresses me no end.

8. Unframed

Unframed Member

This is all too real.
    I think I mentioned it before but the junior sysadmin for a major rail corporation once asked me what an ISO was and how to use it. How a person like that gets a job like that is beyond me. It'd have to be suits approving the job with no technical understanding.

9. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Schnitzel for Lunch.

Beer and Civ 6 for the weekend while watching shit reboot.

10. Foliage

Foliage Member

I really struggle with this as well. I regularly write quite complex software with a few people that I consider to be guru level (I don't think I'm a bad programmer at all, but these guys are so much better than me). They make mistakes and bugs all the time, but they notice the bugs and fix them, worst case they put them on a list of things to fix.

Sometimes though we are given an unrealistic budget and the client gets a "pilot" program aka ALPHA. We know there are bugs, we know what most of them are but buggered if we are going to fix them for free, hence they stay in production for years.

The worst thing ever is when you get inexperienced junior guys in this position, they don't even know where the bugs are or how many.

Software is ridiculously difficult and expensive to do well, not to mention most good software has been through an iterative process, hence the early versions were buggy and full of security holes. Hardly anything is bullet proof from day one.

Eg banking software 25 years ago was full of flaws, back then hardly anyone was that interested in hacking. Now today there are millions of hackers and companies don't have the luxory of this iterative design, it needs to be perfect from day one. This is where we run into a conundrum as most businesses become unprofitable if you have this approach.

Hence we meet reality, which is filled with buggy insecure software. I don't see any real solution to be honest.

11. Unframed

Unframed Member

Overheard a sales conversation.

Sales director: Who makes KVM?
    Marketing director: Linux does... no wait Red Hat.

I'm not sure how this conversation came up but I didn't want to interrupt, my headache is bad enough.

12. Punk

Punk Member

Trend and Exchange..............

Is the day over yet?

13. NSanity

NSanity Member

obligatory

STOP
    RUNNING
    SHIT
    ON
    EXCHANGE

use a fucking gateway appliance or hosted provider already. Shitty vendors *absolutely* cannot be trusted to work within the confines of MS's recommendations for Transport Agents.

14. wazza

wazza Member

I used to work for a reasonably large aussie computer "manufacturer" (built systems en masse, but not quite a Dell/HP type operation) who sold SLAs that they couldn't realistically stick to - eg a 2hr SLA anywhere in Sydney, but techs were only given replacement hardware in the morning, and only enough to cover jobs they had been given that morning. More than once while on the road I was ordered to go to a site immediately, take in the "most technical/complex" looking replacement part I had, pretend to attempt to fix the issue, then say we would need to source a replacement part. Because the 2hr SLA was first onsite response, this met the terms, and they could then send out a tech in a couple of days with the right hardware. Made me hate the place, and gave me a massive distrust in SLAs offered by other companies.

15. NSanity

NSanity Member

ipex?

10char

16. OP
    OP
    elvis

17. cvidler

cvidler Member

That's not too bad, they're close.

on another note. 4 weeks of leave is over today. back to the insanity on Monday.....

18. Unframed

Unframed Member

Maybe I'm being too picky but it did trigger me a little

19. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

TRIGGERED

Jesus H Christ sounds like nobody in IBM has any fscking clue re internet BGP and how public addressing works which is par for the course I suppose.

You need your own goddam APNIC registered PI block you tards.

Also Island Australia my behind that's the worst excuse for anti DDOS I've ever seen

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  20. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Please quantify this statement.

As veteran coder of Banking systems from that era I would very much like to know, because of all the different software systems I've worked on in the past 33 years Banking was only second to High Speed manufacturing in its accuracy and stability.

I think you will find that most of the banking software "issues" are banks moving off solid code bases to fancy pants newer systems written by hipster node programmers written in the small periods of time between their critiquing there morning coffee, deciding on what food to consume and finding a beer that no one has heard of or cares about so they can be a unique little wall flower.

While you diehard banking systems cobol programmer has smashed his/her head against the proverbial for 10hrs to find a minuscule balancing error of 1c to shut the auditors up.

COLOR ME JADED. ;)