1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

I disagree on this point, A fully connected 'life' would make things so much easier.

What are beer stocks like... After this case, and the other case, there's only one case left. yeah, Oh Barney's right lets get some more beer. hey, what about some beer... I can just check BeerCam and have a look... or beers can be logged in and out via RFID as they are drunk/replaced.

I've recently bought a house of my very own (hence the few rants on why the fuck its so expensive to run cable), and continually see places where 'internet connected shit' would be incredibly useful... I've got a 24 port POE switch on the way and am currently looking around at arduino's and what not for sensors and Home automation bollocks. I think there is value to people for IOT.

We'll need Team America World Police for it.

Dahua ship millions of cameras with hard coded root creds that Can't be changed and/or trivial buffer overflows.... These get weaponized and pointed at various places.

Dahua are in China, they've got no incentive to fix the problems, they aren't on the hook for any losses caused.

2. Foliage

Foliage Member

I actually smile when I read about these hacks and ddos attempts these days. It is kind of like how when you are 13 you think blowing up peoples letterboxes is good fun.

3. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Except now, Instead of a cracker in a letterbox, It's a pipe bomb in a post office.... and now I'm on a(nother) list.

4. Foliage

Foliage Member

Rant for the day. Windows 95 MDB database with a comments field that has quite literally every possible CSV delimiter, new lines, quotes and single quotes within it.

The new lines are also inconsistent between unix and windows.

FML

5. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

100% with this.

Ignoring the security ramifications entirely, smart devices that know everything about what we do and automate the living crap out of our lives is awesome. I work my balls off every day and come home to a spouse I like and a house full of very energetic kids who I want to spend time with and hobbies I want to do. Every single aspect of my life that isn't those things I quite selfishly want something/someone else to deal with.

If I was loaded with cash, I'd have personal assistants doing the boring stuff for me. If security and IoT didn't suck, I'd have that doing it all for me.

Whenever I talk about this sort of thing, invariably the response is "who'd want that?". But there was a point when we shifted from spending a day hand washing clothes in the river to spending 10 minutes loading and unloading a washing machine. Likewise I remember the heavy criticism of anyone who bought a microwave in the 80s as being "lazy", and yet show me a house without one today.

Automation and gadgets are the next evolution of human tools. They have enormous potential to make our lives so much easier once again. And I'm not ashamed to say that I would love to be one of the ones whose banal task list of stuff is dealt with by machines and gadgets so that I can do fun things (go read "Homo Ludens" - all mammals, especially humans, *need* to play).

Now, none of that is a guarantee that I'll jump on any IoT tech that lands in my lap. As we all know, most (all?) of it is a stinking pile of crap. But that doesn't change the dream that, if it worked securely, it would be awesome.

Take all of that, put it in the head of one of these "distant stars" types I keep talking about, and you can see exactly why we've ended up here.

6. TehCamel

TehCamel Member

you forgot the ongoing subscription fee.

7. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Yep, one problem that IoT has that washing machines and microwaves don't is "data".

I can DIY with HASS and Arduino modules, and have a system with a low Wife Acceptance Factor

Or I can go down the single vendor route, and they can own my digital house, and all the information that would provide, but it will be mostly idiot proof.

OR I can get a new wife... one with an untwistable stomach.

8. GreyWolfe01

GreyWolfe01 Member

Does she come with wifi, or is that an optional accessory?

9. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

that's just minor details.

10. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Insert Promiscuous mode joke here

11. power

power Member

it's just a trickle of money leaking out of your account, you won't notice that unless you can do addition.

12. bcann

bcann Member

the internet on the fridge is only handy once they get rid of barcodes and go fully rfid, otherwise you need to swipe your *insert drink/food here* into the scanner, and lets face it after the 5th or 6th beer/scotch who is going to remember to do that?

13. Foliage

Foliage Member

Internet fridge could be an incredible time saver if implemented well with thousands of dev hours. Anything less and you won't trust it or it won't so what you want so you might as well not have it.

14. GreyWolfe01

GreyWolfe01 Member

Log onto o365 portal, right after I had to kill and recreate my outlook profile AGAIN due to the connection corrupting.

Survey pops up: "Would you recommend o365 to a colleague?"

No guesses as to what the response to that was....

15. GreyWolfe01

GreyWolfe01 Member

16. exodushunter

exodushunter Member

Wheres the NSFW tag on this?

17. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

That would be the video description titled "The Wire Fuck scene".

18. NSanity

NSanity Member

This is actually a problem I bring up with clients.

I wouldn't say Outlook Profiles corrupt more often on O365 - just that they do, and that syncing "reasonable" sized mailboxes back to Outlook problematic to say the least on most Internet connections.

19. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

We're on the tail end of a year long project migrating from a hybrid set up to full o365 mailboxes and our links just got fucking hammered trying to cache the mailboxes.

Not too many cases of corruption though. Which was nice.

20. GreyWolfe01

GreyWolfe01 Member

I don't know what it is, but changing networks seems to do it - I believe you've mentioned the autodiscovery issue before. Connecting directly to o365 with outlook just seems to trip this issue regularly.