1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

Building for Linux is like building a hackintosh.
    If you pick supported hardware it works well and vice versa.

2. Luke212

Luke212 Member

then it poses questions around what is the cost benefit of all the stuffing around. if you're rolling 100 nodes the initial stuffing around might pay off down the line. but you want to make damn sure its worth it.

3. NSanity

NSanity Member

you're an idiot.

there is years of difference between your whitebox pieces of shit and vendor tested and certified hardware from Dell, HP, Lenovo or Supermicro.

Literally it takes more time to rack a T1 vendor server than it does to install a patched, optimal and functional linux distro.

4. Unframed

Unframed Member

This.

It takes our cloud ops team 15mins or so to set up Linux on our storage nodes. No dicking about at all.

Also Foliage, setting up a Linux gaming machine and a workstation/server is wildly different.

5. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

Lolol pwned. Newsflash Luke212: enterprise grade dc/ server kit is Linux compatible and often targets it first. 99% of appliances are Linux or bsd under the hood. Etc

6. hosh0

hosh0 Member

Beta test what? Surface line has been out nearly a year now. All they've done is add a bigger battery and better i7? I've got a heap of friends with surface pro 4's and books and not one of them is having any major issues? The sleep of death bug was shown to be an intel problem with their power management unit but sure.

7. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

So all the threads all over the place and repeated patches to fix power issues, keyboard issues, battery issues (the recent update that borked battery life for anyone with X manufacturer batteries?) etc. are just a noisy but tiny minority? Seems to be an awful number of them. On a version 4 product no less.

Of course, you have your anecdotal evidence that says its all fine, though I'm not sure how big your sample size is.

I had a SP2 (granted not a SP4) and I had sleep battery drain / come out and wake issues - caused by a windows update - that had to wait > 2 months for a fix (including one failed fix) - pathetic for a device that is top to bottom MS and a single standard hardware target to get right.

I'm still waiting for a Surface to come out that doesn't automagically spam lots and lots of hardware issue threads before I go into the water again (at premium prices I don't think its an unreasonable expectation).

I'm not talking about hardware failure - that can happen to anything I acknowledge - but rather straight up bugs.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
  8. fredhoon

fredhoon Member

I'll second that, my SP3's constant wireless and digitiser issues are a pain in the arse. Sure they have improved over time with updates etc. but as you say it's a bitter pill to swallow when paying a premium price for what has deteriorated to a Ultraportable with a shit keyboard and poor connectivity.

9. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Zoiks.

Well for starters, chucking "laptop review battery life" into Google returns a few hundred results, all of which put Mac hardware in the top 10% every time. So there's your comparison. And worth noting that they're day one comparisons for battery life. Compare a 3 year old Mac to a 3 year old anything else, and the difference would be much more dramatic (I'm typing this from my 3 year old Dell with 20 minute battery life).

Secondly, yeah, MacOSX does a much better job of keeping things sane on mobile platforms when it comes to power usage. And as I keep saying, I loathe MacOSX, so you're not getting some fanboy ranting here. You can certainly feel the difference (do any task, rip the power cord out and you can feel the laptop slow down). But the point is it does a good job of managing battery life - far better than Windows and Linux (with the caveat that you can really tweak the shit out of Linux for mobile battery life, but there's a lot of manual screwing around).

Apple doesn't do much right from an enterprise point of view, which is why I dislike their products. But they certainly have their "moms on facebook" crowd sorted for, which means getting things like battery life and sleep working well.

I won't buy Mac for business, but I'll certainly tell my mum to buy one so that she can email her friends and look at photos of her grandkids.

Look, I don't want to go down this argument path, but every single time I hear someone vaguely competent say "I struggled with Linux", it was guaranteed that they were trying to use Linux like it was Windows.

You don't use Windows like it's Linux, and vice versa. There are some things in Linux that need to be done "the Linux way". I can guarantee your "video card driver struggles" were you using Linux wrong. That's not an insult or a put down. It's just down to learning the system, like you've spent 25 years learning Windows. One of my juniors is like this - he's constantly download random crap off the Internet and double-clicking everything to install like his Linux desktop is a Windows box. He's rebuilding the goddamn thing every few weeks because something broke and he doesn't know how to fix it. Meanwhile my other junior, recently promoted to senior, got his setup working day one, and has had it running smooth for over a year with no fucking around, because he bothered to learn the right way to do it. Same software, same hardware, totally different attitudes in how to use the combination.

As someone who works in high end 3D, broken video card drivers and 80% CPU would equal instant death for our business in the cut-throat market we work in. I tell you now, and quite objectively, we use Linux because it performs better for very demanding high end tasks where we're pushing hardware to its limit every day. If it didn't, all the fanboy salivating in the world couldn't save it in our industry, where it's ubiquitous across every studio in the world.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  10. NSanity

NSanity Member

FWIW Macbooks lose about 60% of their battery life for "browsing" the second you put Windows on them (or did w/ Windows 7).

Its entirely about the way OSX/Safari sips battery vs Windows/Chrome.

Chrome - in particular - chews battery like its going out of business.

11. Luke212

Luke212 Member

agreed benchmarks show OSX has longer battery life than windows 10 on the same macbook hardware.

12. OP
    OP
    elvis

Absolutely. Take a look at the memory and CPU profile of Chrome.

Google make no bones about Chrome - their design is to make it the fastest browser in the world. They'll happily double memory consumption to beat every other browser by 1%.

13. NSanity

NSanity Member

If you want Battery life on Windows 10 - use Edge.

Its not quite the shitshow it was at Launch - but it *is* still missing ublock/noscript.

14. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Rant - Plurality, Use it Or Dont.

Get-MailboxFolderStatistics -identity Pablo | Select Name,ItemsInFolderandSubfolders,FolderandSubfolderSize

It's a minor rant to start a Monday.

15. OP
    OP
    elvis

I feel you. Mixed camel case and underscores, mixed plurals, mixed tense, inverted negatives. Why can't people get their shit together?

16. NSanity

NSanity Member

Linux/Unix is the absolute *worst* for this.

[​IMG]

MS given its new found path of "Devs ARE THE QA" is headed for same shitstorm.

At least with PS (and ultimately you can/could do the same with *nix i guess) - you can "fix" cmdlets with proper syntax if it annoys you that much with your own set.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  17. OP
    OP
    elvis

No disagreement from me there. Each generation of Linux developers re-invents the standard for how command line flags should look.

At least sometimes they get slapped down. "Network-Manager" is now "network-manager", for example. A small victory.

18. NSanity

NSanity Member

PS has the distinct advantage that I can "tab" to get switches/flags into a cmdlet. Once you have it - its impossible to go back to Bash without.

holy shit.

really?

that really went into a major distro?

19. OP
    OP
    elvis

Please don't start me. The world doesn't need yet another "elvis hates Lennart Poettering" rant.

BASH tab completion is entirely configurable. Many applications have tab-completion for commands. Likewise many applications will only tab complete on matching files ("unzip" for example will only tab-complete on files with a ".zip" extension).

Dig into /etc/bash_completion.d/ for more.

20. NSanity

NSanity Member

how does he still have a job?

more to the point how did systemd "win"?