Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I don't hate any software. How can you hate something inanimate?

I hate dickheads who use software incorrectly.

Perfect example.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -- Edmund Burke

2. NSanity

NSanity Member

Adobe <anything>. Apple iTunes.

#sorrynotsorry.

3. Foliage

Foliage Member

At every opportunity I get I port code to a new platform using modern databases and languages that have a large support base and proven track record. Problem is by doing that most of the guys I work with can no longer "fix" problems.

I want to replace most of the >$100k a year engineers with computer science graduates. They can program and they are malleable.

4. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

If its doable with VBA surely its doable with something a bit better?

5. Foliage

Foliage Member

They use proficy ifix which is a scada development package. All custom scripts/graphics must use vba as this is what is built into the IDE.

Using something else is akin to trying to change excel to use something other than the VBA editor by default. Basically you'd have to write another program from scratch.

What I often do is wrote custom controls in c#, then wrap them in a com layer so they can be used as an activex control via vba. Pretty clunky though, and you have to compile it to a dll so you can't readily change it via the scada ide

6. OP
    OP
    elvis

Ranted at my kids' school's deputy principle about how stupid it was to teach kids iPads as their ICT course. Got invited to their monthly ICT meeting to explain what a Raspberry Pi is.

Career change looming?

7. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

ICT when I was in high school was dreamweaver, flash, gamemaker and Cert 1 and 2 IT

I took the elective programming class, but they decided the 7 kids that signed up wasn't enough to justify a class.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  8. Unframed

Unframed Member

"How to snapchat your weiner 101"

Realistically though, how do you teach ICT on iPads?

9. NSanity

NSanity Member

sure if you want to cut your pay by 50% and drop a zero.

Fuck I feel old. 3 Unit Comp Studies was largely theory, Apple IIe Logo and MS Quick Basic.

I remember having an argument with my teacher about them talking about Token ring - something along the lines of "Wake up to yourself, no-one uses this anymore - Ethernet and TCP/IP is here to stay".

That said we were connected via IPX/SPX and Coax w/ Terminators at the time...

10. OP
    OP
    elvis

Was talking to a mate who's a teacher the other day, and she rattled off this exact list. To her, the $1500 in computer+licensing was totally justified to teach this list of tools which were "used in modern business".

I had to take a moment before I could calm down and explain to her just how wrong she was.

As has been discussed in this thread, just basic logic is grossly missing in most people. That's why technical people tend to get really stupid requests that have nothing to do with broader IT, and just boils down to "it's hard, and someone with basic logic skills needs to think about it for 5 minutes".

Whether you spend $1500 on a PC and software, or $50 on a Raspberry Pi and Scratch, what you're trying to teach kids are the building blocks of logic and problem solving, not a particular application that's used in business. I don't know how many times I've tried to make teachers understand that.

I got taught Apple II in primary school, and Wordperfect for DOS in highschool ICT, because teachers at the time were told by businesses that they were the tools in use. When I hear teachers today tell me "we need to teach kids the tools businesses are using today", it infuriates me. How can people not see that anything we use today is ancient history by the time your average 10-15 year old kid will graduate and join the work force?

11. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

I did forget to add that ICT class for me included getting cert 1 and 2 IT which did have 'some' useful info for 17 year old me.

I think doing graphics (on paper and with computers/ revit and cad) and business ops class did more for me than the actual ICT class.

12. OP
    OP
    elvis

Well, I just went through another 100 resumes over the last week looking for new staff. Whatever they're teaching kids in school these days isn't cutting it for us.

Lots of people with lots of useless skills out there.

13. NSanity

NSanity Member

TBH its a literal crime that programming isn't taught in schools - with more importance than say... history (equal with Maths, English, Science).

14. Foliage

Foliage Member

I did CCNA as my ICT course in year 10. My school was the only one in Australia to offer it (some random public school in SA). Was so long ago they taught coax in it lol.

I wonder if any of them offer it anymore.

I don't think there is room to fit it in. I did VBA and access in year 10 I think but in year 11 and 12 once you do maths 1,2, physics, chem, english where are you going to fit programming in?

If you replace any of those courses you can't get into engineering which is what most programmers have a degree in.

I'd be all for teaching it in year 9/10 though.

15. NSanity

NSanity Member

I would have killed for that.

:/

16. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

I miss telling that little green turtle what to do.

I also remember Hypercard.

The amount of people that don't understand basic logic (ie. If A > B and B > C, then A > C) astounds me. During school, I think we got a single lesson on it, and it didn't cover much.

17. Foliage

Foliage Member

We were lucky out IT manager at school was also a teacher and pushed for it. He thought it was more important than anything else, took him months to convince them to allow it as a SACE course. Not many teachers like him around, he stayed back until 5pm unpaid twice a week to teach it to us thought I think he was already on a good wage.

They scaled it massively though, I got a 20/20 and the education department scaled it to a 16 which was complete bullshit.

18. OP
    OP
    elvis

I did Z in uni.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z_notation

Brilliant course. Honestly don't know why they can't teach this sort of thing in high school. Very simple to understand, and makes programming later on a breeze.

19. OP
    OP
    elvis

Not even kidding: they download apps and play with them. Apparently that's "amazing technology" that's "teaching kids valuable skills for tomorrow". Oh, and the cost of the iPad is on the parents. I'm supposed to buy one per child.

I'm trying to get across to their "ICT leadership board" that these "skills" are worthless, and that the entire board of 50+ year olds need to stop looking at what a bunch of 10 year old kids can do intuitively as either amazing or worthwhile for business.

I've told them I'm not buying iPads. All three of my kids can run circles around their teachers for tech skills, and they're not missing out by not attending a shitty iPad subject for an hour a week.

.... And that got me invited to their monthly ICT meeting to talk about what these crazy Raspberry Pi doodads are.

20. NSanity

NSanity Member

At the very least understanding basic algorithms and the concept of pseudocode. I remember the lesson we talked about making toast - and just how many steps you broke that down into.