Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

IT and janitorial are all the same. All we do is clean up other people's shit, and unclog their tubes.

2. Unframed

Unframed Member

I know this feeling. I'm trying to avoid vendor specific certification and training so I can gain a broader knowledge of what I do.

Apparently that's bad :\

3. Kataton1c

Kataton1c Member

Actually, with that attitude it's very easy to have both.

Both being: Knowledgeable in all concepts of Systems Administration, as well as gaining the certificates. Experience is definitely king though.

4. Unframed

Unframed Member

Experience is what I want more of.

Certs are just pretty resume fillers for the most part.

5. Pic0o

Pic0o Member

Reading the thread title, may I jump in with the following feedback?

Most IT people like to point the finger elsewhere, instead of troubleshooting the issue. I'm an uptime / deployment dude, so the programmer mantra folks of "Working perfectly", pretty much let's me know diagnosing realtime issues is going to be my primary task.

Also, as annoying as an end user can be, treating them like a moron when they report a functionality issue, tends to stop you from obtaining more valid feedback. You get what you give, granted getting way less is common.

Effort, friends. :)

Edit about users:
    Good point on the "No thanks computers" from end users. I try to meet that with "Show me what part of your normal process is broken". Sometimes I qualify it with "I don't want to do your job either. So showing me where things aren't 'normal' operation would help".

Some days, I am living subtitles for some departments. :lol:

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  6. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

There are two types of end user: those who can learn, and those who can't. Some days you can put in all the effort and be nice as pie, but some end users just won't help you to help them.

===========================

Day 1 on the job:

UserA: "Something's broken"

UserB: "Something's broken"

Me: Please report machine name, what you were doing, remote server name, sequence of events you did leading up to that point, expected result, actual result, what you want to see happen next time

UserA: "Sure! <Detailed post>"

UserB: "Umm... that's too hard!"

Day 100 on the job:

UserA: "Hi, something's broken. I'm on Machine blah, and <detailed post>"

UserB: "Something's broken again".

Me: "Thank you UserA, I'll get right on it - ETA to fix 10 minutes. I'll send another email then with an update."

Me: "UserB: Please report machine name, what you were doing, remote server name, sequence of events you did leading up to that point, expected result, actual result, what you want to see happen next time"

UserA: "Great work IT guy, you rock!"

UserB: "Oh, not this again. Can't you just fix it? IT sucks!"

And anyways, none of that is what this thread is about. This thread is entirely about incompetence within IT, and not that non-technical users aren't as technical as us (which they're allowed to be, because it's not their job).

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  7. whitewolfx

whitewolfx Member

And:

UserB: "It's not my job to know about this stuff, it's your job to fix it!"

And:

UserB: "Why's this stuff always broken? How come it never just works!?"

And:

UserB: "Mate i hate computers, i don't know how you geeks do this stuff, i hate computers and technology and gizmo's. I don't do that sorta stuff mate, i like things simple, i don't even have a computer at home mate, i dont even have anything electrical at home cept the tely!"

Not what this thread is about at all, but on that note, i think i might need to see a psychologist soon. UserB is a dick.

8. tin

tin Member

I hate those people. They claim to be "computer illiterate" but failing to read written letters is "completely illiterate".

"Are you getting an error message?"
    "I don't know. I'm computer illiterate."
    "Ummm. So when you try to send the emails, how do you know they aren't going through?"
    "I don't know. They just don't send."
    "So when you send one, it just stays in your outbox? Or are they disappearing but never arriving where you sent them?"
    "No. I click send but nothing happens. I think you better come look."

Typically this ends with discovering they DID get an error message, which they tell you was up when they called.. Or they tell you when you get there that it's been like this for 2 weeks (why did they leave it so long?) and started playing up after they switched ISP or had Telstra in for something else.

9. whitewolfx

whitewolfx Member

This. So much this. I always thought that this only happened when people dislike their friendly neighbourhood ITman however i soon learnt i was so so wrong. People seem to behave this way just for the sake of it. I get along very well with all of the users at the company i work for and i never get angry or frustrated at users to enforce this point. But wow, the amount of times this has happened.

I once visited one of the sites to do task X and i figured while i was there i would say hi to everyone and ask if everything was ok IT-wise. I found out that the EFTPOS machine they had at the counter would intermittently not connect for anywhere between 10-60mins at a time, multiple times a week. I asked around a bit to find out when the issue started happening and they told me "since the store opened" approx 2 years ago. I asked why they hadn't told me about it sooner as it's the only EFTPOS machine there and they told me "ah we just sorta learnt to live with it".

I had only started working there about a year ago and i'm in an unfortunate situation of working under a master beginner (see Expert Beginners). So to be fair, and from what i've heard, i'm thinking the poor users were in more of a situation of having reported it but being ignored/strung along. Or the issue just perpetually being blamed on Telstra. Because hey, what better scapegoat out there.

10. revhed

revhed Member

Sadly, I have worked with IT "Professionals" that are about the same as that.

Try asking them to "Describe what they see" for even more hilarious (but futile) results :eek:

11. matthew-r88

matthew-r88 Member

to the above posts RE: "I dont do technology"

Amen to that, all of that and maybe a little more.

One of the greatest quotes I ever heard was from an old maintenance fitter who used to say: this place would run brilliantly if it wasnt for the ppl

as slipknot says ppl = shit

12. FiShy

FiShy Member

The the networks i run are perfect, it just the users that are the problem :)

13. GreenBeret

GreenBeret Member

I can forgive lack of knowledge, even lack of basic knowledge sometimes.... but what I cannot stand is the lack of curiosity. Don't they want to at least know a minimal amount about WTF they're working with day to day? :mad:

Heh, the web dev team (full time employed, many continuing positions) here are just as retarded and seem to be stuck back in 2002 with their code and tools. The web dev casual contractors - who are usually students or just out of uni - are far better technically and up to date in their field, but unfortunately they don't get enough work. Not my team, but I'd love to fire most of the web devs here and replace them with the young casuals.

14. millsy

millsy Member

All you need is a solid few security breaches due to shittily coded apps :p

15. IACSecurity

IACSecurity Member

Or one nice doosey.

Then people go, we need 'device X' or 'appliance y' or 'software z' (or a firewall ;)) then your secure.

Then there is nothing to worry about :)

16. millsy

millsy Member

Eugh don't get me started...

17. SilentLeges

SilentLeges New Member

I have a bit of a scenario that has been playing out in my head, and I can't stop thinking about it.

Setting:

2 In-House IT Staff within a company of about ~150 Users
    Then the company starts to contract out to a Agency, Down the track decides that in house IT Staff are no longer needed. The Agency approaches the second guy which had only been with the company for 1 1/2 years and offers him a job and will still be supporting the same company.

The First Guy was made redundant

The Second guy had only had to give 2 week notice of quitting from his position, but decides to stay an extra week off of his own back wanting to make sure that the company that is contracting out is covered during his Job transition. Was it a good way to show that he cared about the company he was leaving?

18. IACSecurity

IACSecurity Member

yes, i would have thought yes would be obvious? why would it be a no?

19. GreenBeret

GreenBeret Member

I did a subject way back at uni that taught me the most useful non-tech thing for my job:

"Do good, and be seen doing good".

And remember, it's "be seen", not talking yourself up. ;)

20. SilentLeges

SilentLeges New Member

True.

I tend to have the "Talk myself up" Quality which i am trying to restrain....... :(