Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. yanman

yanman Member

If they don't know the basics then they shouldn't be in charge of any networks. Being about to understand a subnet mask, know what your broadcast address is... there's no excuse

2. Luke212

Luke212 Member

they dont need to know it though. they just use the built in classes and default subnets their whole lives. if it werent the case you wouldnt run in to network managers who dont know it. lol.

3. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

I've worked with what I consider to be some pretty useless people, but I've never met anyone in any area of IT other than desktop support and some programmers that wouldn't know how subnets work. The same goes for NAT.

4. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

Probably like our last networking guy at work that was let go after a few months, had a CCNA and a CCNP (which he studied for instead of actually working), IMO I'm pretty sure he just studied the answers to all the questions and had no real world experience.

He had trouble doing the simplest things, IE we have a roaming training kit consisting of a few laptops and a wireless access point, my manager asked him to configure it to grab a dhcp lease so it could just go straight onto our network wherever it went, he was confused by this and told us he didn't think it was possible.

5. yanman

yanman Member

yeh remember i said "shouldn't" :/ sure they might stumble along without a base understanding but its going to trip up plenty eventually. It's just not professional for someone in that position to ensure they understand this shit.

6. coderx

coderx Member

Pay peanuts you get monkeys.

I lost faith in the IT industry when I could work on a factory floor and earn close to double the wage. (CNC machinist). Considering the skills required for both types of jobs, I looked at the CNC job as being almost unskilled labour, yet the pay is very high. Unlike IT where every man and his dog are competing for the same position, the employer usually goes with who is prepared to accept a lower pay, and in most cases it's the person who doesn't really know what they are doing who will accept the lower pay.

When I completed university, a friend who completed at the same time and was very talented with 3d modelling type work, ended up working at Activision in map design, he was earning almost half what I was earning on the factory floor.

I have moved onto other things since then, but yeah, the industry does not pay enough to get 'quality', and there are simply too many IT people out there willing to take a lesser pay.

None of them will think out side the box.

I've had directors complain that a bill of $7000 is 'too much' for a years support and service. . . .

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  7. DavidRa

DavidRa Member

You already know the answers. You've been instrumental in trying to fix some of them for your employers (yes, plural, over time). The same things that have been wrong for ages. Including, but in no way limited to:
    • People who have used Word and Excel manage to convince the incrementally dumber PHBs that they are "highly computer literate" and "love helping people", and become helpdesk jockeys because "IT people make lots of money, I want lots of money, therefore I am going to be IT person"
    • People who game all the time and have built a PC or two at home are "computer experts" and get hired as junior sysadmins (see $ comment above)
    • Incapable of learning, and sometimes completely technology-illiterate, people fudge their way into IT TL positions and on to IT manglement because they "have people skills" and play political games, ("A good manager can manage anything") OR
    • Lean on their peers and on consultants to get things done, then leverage those successful projects into a more senior role elsewhere, see TL and manglement ("I managed XYZ implementation at ...");
    • Experienced "once-were-and-could-be-again" admins "can't be bothered" any more because the political crap from the uneducated masses kills any chance of doing it the right way (9/10 times)
    • The inexperienced make it to upper management and can't tell the god-damned difference between Expert Beginner and Proficient because they're all too clueless. Repeat cycle.
    Fact is that the people who are actually GOOD at computers are far too rare to be encountered everywhere. Many of them don't play the political games (and don't want to) with the inevitable result that some shitkicker who sucks up to the CFO/CIO gets made his/her boss (reinforcing the feelings of the industry being shit).

Couple all that with the race to the bottom by vendors/consulting firms, the intransigence of people who won't look to the future (we has to has Windows), the desire to hire the cheapest people (lower salaries driving the good people away) in the cheapest ways (HR with the certification rubber stamp)...

God why am I still doing this? This industry sucks!

Edit: Actually, what's worse is getting the same shit from vendors who should know better (I'm not talking MS Pro Support, RH Support). The number of times I've had to try to explain DHCP Relay to a frigging 2nd-tier vendor router support line drives me insane.

8. GiantGuineaPig

GiantGuineaPig Member

Took me a few job changes, but now I'm doing a great and varied role, have colleagues and a boss that are good at their job and we all trust each other and I'd be worried of moving elsewhere since I don't think there's too much better out there. Oh and I'm being paid really well too.

9. Luke212

Luke212 Member

No one really smart wants to be managing basic networks so they move on to greener pastures. The ones left in the networking jobs are perhaps not the best examples of aggressive intelligence. You can find some unique opportunities in that area but they would not be found in your standard business network.

10. Kataton1c

Kataton1c Member

This + on site training, but I'm pretty sure it's beyond that.

Even if it were possible, elvis obviously doesn't have the time to do this with the current resources he has.

11. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

I had a similar experience in WA in 2006, finished a contract as a UNIX admin and was looking around for another job when I saw one for warehouse picker for IGA paying $40/hr. Because it was casual I thought I'd do that while I looked for another gig. Did it for 6 months, was awesome way to get fit, worked 10hrs a day 5 days a week and 6 hrs Saturday and took home over 1200/week in the hand because my rate ended up $60/hr after 36hrs. Best part of the job was it finished the second I walked out the door, there was nothing to think about when the day was done.

12. power

power Member

That right there is what's wrong with professional IT.

13. cvidler

cvidler Member

23 is bigger than 24 because someone in the IETF had too much strong CIDR and said so.

*mind blown*
    :lol:

14. Gunna

Gunna Member

I caught the tail end of a Today Tonight\Current Affair episode last night.

They mentioned that the combined income from Centrelink for the couple being interviewed was $26 less than I make a week take home. My partner and I could go on Centrelink, get $26 less than I get now and I could spend all day at home with my family. Yet here I am working in IT.

15. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

I need to stress that it was WA in 2006 height of the mining boom, any manual labour jobs the pay rates where being inflated by the rates being paid in the mines.

16. cvidler

cvidler Member

Are you really in IT then if centrelink comes so close to matching your salary?

My tax bill each year is enough to cover 3 dole bludgers a year (well it would be if I weren't being smart about it).

17. Gunna

Gunna Member

I work in IT, work for an MSP supporting clients, deploy servers, support servers and workstations etc plus network related issues (yes i know enough about CIDR t o shake my head at the above examples)

The example above would require both my self and partner to go on Centrelink as we are a 1 income family now.

18. Luke212

Luke212 Member

Dood thats rough. shitty Admin/Reception staff these days are getting up around $30/h. you know the ones who cant even use excel.

why dont you go work at the mines or something :(

19. Gunna

Gunna Member

Both people getting Centrelink on the show = my wage.

My wage isn't the same as a single Centrelink payment, just boggles the mind how a couple on Centrelink can earn our households income.

Having said that, there is no way I would go on Centrelink cause it's easy, I do enjoy IT work I just think the pay certainly doesn't equal the required skillset and its to easy for other people to do the minimum amount of work required to complete a job compared to doing it right the 1st time.

20. Foliage

Foliage Member

Maybe you just are getting absolutely screwed, what do you earn an hour?