Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. cvidler

cvidler Member

dudes head gonna explode when he has to do ipv6.

I've got a /48, have divided that into a bunch of the standard /64's as well as some smaller ones down to a /126 for a point-to-point connection.

2. Luke212

Luke212 Member

i thought we established that x's and 0's don't work.

3. yanman

yanman Member

at the risk of being trolled...

192.168.0.100/23 and 192.168.1.101/23 are on the same subnet, and can "see" each other.

4. Rass

Rass Member

Yep.. if correctly configured with a 255.255.254.0 subnet mask, both 192.168.0.100 and 192.168.1.101 will see that they do not need to go to the configured default gateway to talk to each other. The "address range" is 192.168.0.0-192.168.1.255

5. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I keep wishing IPv6 would take off, because it's really going to sort some people out who've been rote learning and not understanding things thus far.

6. tin

tin Member

Yes. A small allowance each week is put aside for me. Sometimes the boss buys me lunch too :thumbup: :D
    Seriously though, I am very underpaid by the standards of the industry. I know I could get far more elsewhere, but it's not about the money for me. I've worked for more money before - and hated every minute of it. I might be getting less where I am, but I love being where I am and doing what I do.

That's my opinion too. Although you still need to know how to apply the Google results, and also be capable of filtering out the red herrings you'll get in the results.

I think that applies to everyone that starts playing with it though. Even IPv4 subnets hurt most people's brains when they start trying to understand it. I know I struggled with subnetting at first... And I have next to no idea about IPv6 (despite watching a number of videos).

7. Foliage

Foliage Member

If luke didn't get this he should be banned, I even posted a link that calculates the subnet range for you.

You know working for the money and having an awesome job you love isn't mutually exclusive don't you? Don't give up now, just find an industry that works with money that has the same job you do now eg finance, engineering, oil and gas etc, you can get paid big bucks and love your job if you are smart.

I haven't read a single word about IPv6 other than it has far more bits for addressing, do you know any good starter articles?

8. Dutch Wink

Dutch Wink Member

That's ... literally all it is. A few different header fields, otherwise, it's the same shit, but with bigger numbers.

Only, instead of four numbers 0-255, there are 8 numbers 0000-ffff, so start learning your hex and what numbers make up a /57 instead of a /56, for example.

Best way to learn is to start playing with it.

9. Foliage

Foliage Member

Probably not the thread to ask this but how with the huge increase in number of clients available under a specific addressing scheme will subnets see time on the shelf with VLANs essentially being the only segregation in place?

10. AthlonMan

AthlonMan (Banned or Deleted)

I'm very serious. There's no way those two addresses could ever speak to, or see, each other.

11. Foliage

Foliage Member

Please tell me you are just taking this troll too far? He said a 23 bit mask was used... eg 255.255.254.0

I fucking lold hard :lol:

12. BAK

BAK Member

Like Foliage said, I hope you're trolling.
    With a /23 (255.255.254.0) subnet mask (which is specified in the post you're quoting), the range of host addresses in the subnet would be 191.168.0.1 - 191.168.1.254.
    Check it out here if you're still unsure.

13. AthlonMan

AthlonMan (Banned or Deleted)

IP addresses cannot speak and cannot see.

14. Kataton1c

Kataton1c Member

Get an IPv6 VPS and have at it.

http://ipv6.he.net/certification/

15. itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

WTH you make no sense.

16. Foliage

Foliage Member

Because there are so many more clients available with an IPv6 addressing scheme is subnetting even going to be used to the extent it is now, eg you could almost just give every single device on the planet a public IP yes?

17. itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

your confusing two complete separate things. most segments with client devices will be /64 subnets ( google EUI64). most allocations will be in the /32-/48 range. Subnetting will be MORE important in IPv6. For one an address is 4 times longer. that means you need 4x the amount of memory to hold the same size BGP inet table in IPv6 compared to IPv4 yet there will be so many more prefixes in IPv6.

high line rate forwarding devices use hardware tables, those hardware tables will need to be way bigger thus using more MOSFET's to do so.

18. Foliage

Foliage Member

Thanks for that, will certainly be interesting see what else changes (this is not my field at all).

19. Luke212

Luke212 Member

The Networking Principle states you can know either the ip address or the subnet, but not both at the same time.

20. Gunna

Gunna Member

Care to post a link to that claim?

My IP is 192.168.0.10 what is my subnet?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013