Consolidated Climate Change/CO2/Global Warming Thread

Discussion in 'Science' started by hlokk, Feb 12, 2007.

1. Tinian

Tinian Member

Who to trust, internet forum user neRok or the IPCC? Hmm.

2. neRok

neRok Member

Source? A specific one from the IPCC regarding sea levels, storm surge, and storm intensity increases.

3. Tinian

Tinian Member

IPCC Report, Chap 13 - Sea Level Change ?

It is likely that the rate of global mean sea level rise has continued to increase since the early 20th century, with estimates that range from 0.000 [–0.002 to 0.002] mm yr–2 to 0.013 [0.007 to 0.019] mm yr–2

4. neRok

neRok Member

And it confirms my concerns

It is very likely that there will be a significant increase in the occurrence of future sea level extremes in some regions by 2100, with a likely increase in the early 21st century.

5. Tinian

Tinian Member

As i said: Better get on to it all the same. We can do it at the same time we build all our new nuclear plants.

6. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

7. koss

koss Member

Coastlines erode and have been doing so since water and land first met on the earth.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Twelve_Apostles_(Victoria)

Anyone that has lived in Perth will know the Fremantle harbor/port is reclaimed land so of course it's going to erode. They have been repairing it since the gold rush era.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  8. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

They took 20 millions years to (erode) form. Erosion is a normal process. But it's about the rate(s) of erosion. Erosion rates currently are not what you would call even remotely "normal". Whether events are becoming more extreme which also leads to greater impacts on our environment. Do you not see/understand/accept the difference?

Are you a man made climate change denier also? I mean let's put our cards on the table shall we.

9. koss

koss Member

No, but it seems a case of getting sucked in by alarmist crap headlines without looking beyond them. My advice is never believe a climate change headline be if for or against, they are 99% crap and not worth posting.

BTW. you are very quick with personal attacks for a moderator.

10. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

What do you disagree with in the headline posted? Why is it alarmist? Buildings are in danger of being consumed. Look what happened in Collaroy.

I'm not a mod and there was no personal attack. I was asking you if you accept or do not accept man made climate change.

11. koss

koss Member

No, I disagree with your choice of putting the story into the climate change science thread, when the word climate doesn't even appear in the article. You are trying to associate the Freemantle storm erosion with climate change.

Tinian likes this.
  12. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

That's fine and is accepted but on the flip side can you completely disassociate every event such as this as not the result of man made climate change? Of course you can't. These events in local areas are becoming more familiar across the country. To dispel them simply as normal erosion cycles is wrong.

13. Tinian

Tinian Member

News just in. Normal weather events can now be attributed to anthropogenic climate change, which is kinda convenient if you want to talk about the increased impact of climate change...

koss likes this.
  14. koss

koss Member

Oh right, lets just forget the science in this science thread an jump right into the assumption that it must be climate change even though the cited article make no such claim.

So, logically--
    - If she weighs the same as a duck...
    - she's made of wood.
    - And therefore?
    - A witch!

No wonder RnR thinks this thread has gotten derailed.

Back on track.
    I have a question for the science lovers.
    In this NOAA chart of CO2 from Mauna Loa you can see two lines:
    https://www.esrl.noaa.gov/gmd/ccgg/trends/

The red line is the CO2 measurement showing a clear seasonal variation, and the black line is the variation removed.

Why doesn't the atmospheric temperature, at the altitude where the CO2 does most of it's positive forcing, fluctuate in sync with the red line? As shown my satellites, and other methods. What is integrating/stabilizing the temperature.

15. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

You can deny that MM climate change is happening and there are signs all over the place, all you like....but the fact of the matter is these events are ever increasing in number and severity and the reasons are pretty obvious.

16. neRok

neRok Member

Actually this erosion likely coincides with the increased storm surge levels that I mentioned in my last posts in this thread.

17. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

No no no, according to some it's absolutely and completely normal erosion and nothing whatsoever to do with increasing extreme events due to MM CC.

18. koss

koss Member

Have you ever lived in Perth or Fremantle Mr TROLL?
    I have, for years, and my best friend there is a geologist.

Do you know why Perth doesn't have soil but sand instead?
    Do yo know the Fremantle is made of limestone?
    Do you know why there is a wind called the Freemantle Doctor and what it means?
    Do you know what the coriolis effect trade winds are?
    Are you one of these noobs that also believes global warming caused the increase in US tornadoes this year?

https://www.fremantle.wa.gov.au/sit...Land Use and Development Policy - D.G.N12.pdf

19. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Why the personal attack, guy? :rolleyes:

So somehow a geologist is an expert in climate change :lol:

But I'd like to ask, why do you close the door to this event and dismiss it so abruptly? Are you a MM CC denier?

20. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

Well
    What is crystal clear is the measured glacial retreats in various parts of the world.