1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Consolidated Climate Change/CO2/Global Warming Thread

Discussion in 'Science' started by hlokk, Feb 12, 2007.

1. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Nah it's not at all, just to you. :)

This has already been discussed in the correct nuclear power thread, quite a bit of info was provided showing the real cost of nuclear... it's simply not required now in 2020 with the tech available and the rapidly declining cost of renewables.

I don't have time to find it all now, but here's a hint of the drift;

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...xpensive-to-save-climate-report-idUSKBN1W909J

Well surely better to not produce toxic waste at all and focus on the other sources?

JSmith

2. Tinian

Tinian Member

Hydrogen fuel cell shipping.

adamsleath likes this.
  3. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

4. neRok

neRok Member

I wonder how the obvious environmental changes that have occurred during the coronavirus lockdown have changed peoples opinions regarding the scale of human influence? On the one hand, with events like the smog clearing from in front of the Himalayas, it shows how easy it is for us to alter it. But on the other, if the changes are so easy-come easy-go, maybe they will think, how detrimental can they be?

elvis and adamsleath like this.
  5. RobRoySyd

RobRoySyd Member

Maybe but first you need the energy to make the hydrogen and you're going to need some big tanks to store it on a ship.
    There's already a lot of nuclear powered ships with a pretty good safety record. The smaller reactors are naturally safer.

Not to say hydrogen doesn't have a place in our future. Like coal / coke it can provide both heat and act as a reducing agent.
    I don't know if even a pilot plant to make pig iron or Portland cement has been built as yet but in theory it should work.

6. RnR

RnR Member

7. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Amateur photography from all around central Asia, India, and other densely populated regions has been fascinating. Air quality levels in places like LA have shown levels we haven't seen since the mid 20th Century.

All of this shows us quite blatantly that we can heal this planet if we stopped and gave a shit for a hot minute. It also sadly demonstrates that, short of abject chaos and disaster, we're far too greedy and selfish a species to give a shit.

I hold out slim hope that at some point, a disaster will occur that's enough to force us to change without killing us off completely. But I also admit the chances of that perfect mix are slim.

We are such a shitty species.

8. RobRoySyd

RobRoySyd Member

That does sound promising as previous attempts using electrorefining never got beyond proving it was possible, just needed some unobtainium with an absurd melting point.Portland cement might be more of a challenge and there's also aluminium refining that relies on a coke as a reducing agent.
    Even if we're making pig iron without coal the steel industry overall still uses a huge amount of energy and water. We also need to be cognizant of the useful byproducts of the coking process that we'll need to find another source of.

9. shredder

shredder Member

As an introvert, the temporary receding of society has been a blessing. A relaxing of the universal economic and social pressures that underlie expectations of normality.

But it's temporary of course. Ultimately a large quantity of peop-animals are primarily basic instinct, and regardless of all else just want to get out there, dominate and spawn.

That's life though I guess. Whether you get munched alive by the neighbouring amoeba, or slowly black-lunged by smog, may be merely difference of sophistication - life is turtles munching, all the way down.

The other option is to be a rock. And look, you will get a chance to try that at some stage. :p

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
    adamsleath likes this.
  10. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
  11. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

12. koss

koss Member

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extinction_Rebellion#Arrest_as_a_tactic

Extremists not scientists.

13. shredder

shredder Member

Depends what you consider extreme. Personally I'm not taking my views from a disavowed paper by some Michael Gove-founded / failed Australian politician headed "think tank" and their thinly-veiled Godwinning, I mean they're pathetic. I don't find this bunch of lowest-common-denominator, game-playing activists to be a particularly "extreme" faction within greater society, in any sense.

I consider it safe to say that Extinction Rebellion are neither scientists nor extremists. Not even particularly close on either side.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  14. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  15. Perko

Perko Member

Yeah, they just look like a mish-mash of hipsters and hippies to me. They wouldn't want to make a Molotov cocktail because of the emissions.

16. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Lots of exxy homes about to go down over here:

Central Coast houses in danger of collapse as large swell causes unprecedented coastal erosion

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07...on-from-large-swell-pummelling-coast/12465398

17. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

https://theconversation.com/climate...own-slow-the-effects-of-climate-change-141604

JSmith

18. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

19. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

I remember how I was taught when I was about 13 years old, never, ever build on sand dunes by the ocean.

I'm lead to believe that the council has actively warned these residents for decades about the dangers.

MR CHILLED likes this.
  20. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Indeed they have. Residents have asked for it to resolved years ago, nothing done. Personally I would have probably moved 10 years ago. People just don't think this stuff will happen.