Consolidated Crypto Traders/Chat Thread

Discussion in 'Blockchain & Cryptocurrency Mining' started by Optimus., Dec 15, 2017.

1. ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

Bakkt like bitpay etc if successful would be bad for btc price.

No merchant will be btc holding, all of them are sellers.

2. douver

douver Member

Coinbase have said Ethereum Classic is getting listed in the next week. Currently ETC/ETH is at 0.04 - BCH/BTC made it to 0.5 on it's Coinbase listing (before on the hype really). Very different situation here (market timing/amount of coins already on exchange), but there is still plenty of potential room for growth there. IMHO an ETC pump is the only real chance for some serious altcoin action anytime soon. Effects would likely flow to the other 5 coins Coinbase have mentioned as people buy them in hope of a repeat.

3. koss

koss Member

ETC pumped 11% at 6am yesterday.

4. koss

koss Member

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  5. douver

douver Member

ETC now up to 0.05 ETH, highest all year. Broken out on ETC/BTC chart too, highest in 5 months.

You know what would make my day:

1. Someone spam the ETH blockchain to make TX fees high
    2. Have lots of social media puppets claim ETH devs are doing nothing on scaling
    3. ETC comes out with a plan of 8x bigger blocks than ETH
    4. ETC pumps like crazy because its 'the real Ethereum' (not those crazy sidechains or sharding ideas that will never work :p)

The symmetry with the BCH pump would be hilarious and it stupidest part it would probably work.

dirkmirk likes this.
  6. dirkmirk

dirkmirk Member

Im really enjoying this alt coin bleed LOL, will be a tough lesson for many, Good to see Ripple bleeding but its still got a 16 Billion market cap! What a joke!

7. DarkStyle

DarkStyle Member

I don't think you would be as happy as you are, if you were as rich as you wanted to be, holding alts. I guess, simply that you probably never would be in that most tenuous position of betting more than you're prepared to lose? ;)

8. dirkmirk

dirkmirk Member

Ha ha yeah, who wouldn't be p!ssed watching the crypto market for years and not loading the house during the last lull in 20-2016? Live and learn hey.

The thing in my mind was the fact that we're overdue for some sort of stock market crash/financial crisis and Crypto aint going to hold up if it gets bad.

As is turns out the bubble of everything keeps getting bigger (Stocks/Real estate/classic cars, artwork, crypto etc).

This has panned out pretty much the same as the 2013 bubble with alts loosing 90-95%(generally).

I've been throwing $50 a week at the market as insurance just in case we reached the bottom but I will be making a big investment as some point.

Not going to make quick bucks any other way, I learned that the hard way with Uranium:rolleyes: but gold stocks have done okay.

This really destroys the argument of crypto being a store of value, bar Bitcoin because it has kind weathered better than most, the bubbles are pumping and dumping the same way, why wouldn't you cash out the lot on the next bubble?

You don't know where the top is but chances are whichever alts you hold, are going to plummet 90% after reaching a high, theirs no point holding for the long term(through a bubble) is their?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018 at 5:39 AM
  9. DarkStyle

DarkStyle Member

Well, its the same for me and I am a relative new kid on the block :) I am definitely seeing peak value further and further in the past using fixed points of reference (i.e. the price of tokens i've held, since I've held them, to now). I don't mind so much because I never realised such a capital machine existed, or that I could use it, or that it was immensely profitable (using my previous fixed income, working for someone else to compare to, e.g. driving a fork lift for a labour company).

The live and learn comes from the real time process of being adaptive to changing conditions, even in a shrinking market. It makes sense to acknowledge whats to come, in order to better preserve, or grow, what you presently have :)

You're missing the human dimension. Theres a curve to adoption and the rate of return on investment (i.e. how early you get in) but the more people that get in, for the same outcomes, leads to such outcomes becoming increasingly unlikely (in that the market all want to be winners). The behaviour of the person and the group can be perfectly predicted, as its almost always to each others detriment. This pattern of behaviour is in a lot of capitalist markets, simply because the player (person, business, or commercial/economic interest) wants to make a buck. With blockchain there was an intercendent lag between very early investors and input capital, to others identifying the same returns and also jumping on board. To a greater or lesser degree, crypto is played out as a market for easy returns continuing to use this behaviour.

Your strategy of dollar cost input is sensible :) Earlier on, it might have been more attractive to buy $100 of crypto per week, but now with the cooling markets, its definitely more attractive to not. I am considering a realignment of my sum resources (tokens, dollars, mining outputs) to better balance a portfolio that adopts a more conservative mindset. I can see peak value is in the past, I can conceive of the value of what I have continuing to shrink, so it makes sense to figure out how to preserve the sum value, while continuing to look in the present, difficult market for more opportunities :)

Its a new thing to look at things differently but if you think as everything as a store of value, you kinda don't want to hold too much of any one thing. I figure its best left to the subjective interpretation in charge of the resources to decide how best to do that and am often reluctant to share in my own successes and failures simply because this expression, in this domain, isn't subject to the rigour of much accountability. It doesn't make (or didn't) make much sense for me to share what I can see going on, because everyone to greater or lesser degrees of observation can see it and are invested accordingly :)

Proportionally, the more you understand and and think you can achieve, to a relative degree of success, the more you want to keep it to yourself to avoid being wrong. Its a terrible market that discourages the free exchange of information to everybodys mutual benefit (in that it is a field paradoxically, where the effect, is in fact the cause).

If anything, its strengthens it. We know the value of ledgers, blockchain and accountability and are learning to apply it to every area, where we might need to take a measurement (especially in that facet of systems, labelled economics). Your label "Crypto" and how you are using it, shows that you consider it an asset class and indeed, continue to hold what you've got but moderate your input. You know peripherally that there is a lot to be excited about and, a lot of times of exciting times to come, and through your own posting, show you're happy to continue holding a slice of "crypto" just in case :)

The economics of it are recursive in nature, taking longer exponents of time, to reach previous peak values and even exceed them. As the investor, you're crushed in the continuum of how something is priced, and subject at all times, to the price you paid. Its brutul but predictable and if you're reasonable, you can still make a bunch of money :)

If you're looking for a return, you simply agree that what you've bought and held is reasonable, for the action you seek in the future (which, lets face it, most middle class people are perfectly happy to stay middle class. Its the assholes that get a taste for extravagant spending, far in excess of their consumption, that distort how and what, you might think of wealth. Makes sense there'd be confusion as an investor, because the metric for success is subjective beyond the dollars).

Not sure what to think, not because everybody wants something different (leading to complexity), just simply that, very few people not only know how to achieve it, but what it is they are trying to achieve :) If you've got any ideas, I'm always a PM away :D

fixed up some unclear language.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018 at 11:09 AM
    dirkmirk likes this.
  10. dirkmirk

dirkmirk Member

Ethereum looks certain to breech $300, who's willing to call a bottom on alt coin prices?

I'd like to see Cardano at 5c I'll just throw that out their.

11. koss

koss Member

Everyone is going long on the $USD, I don't know why, but they are cashing out on all sorts of markets, not just crypto, just look at exchange rates $AUD has been on a decline since the end of January, other currencies worse. eg Turkey’s currency, the lira, is down some 45% this year!
    US has sanctions on a heap of countries, which tanks the exchange rate in each country. It's a game of chess. The US seem to be doing everything they can to boost the value of their dollar atm. Not a good sign, it crashed last time they did that.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018 at 8:25 AM
  12. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

Well looks like I’ll have to keep working for another year lol. Damn #whenlambo? #whenmoon?