Consolidated LG OLED TV discussion thread

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by csimpson, Jun 25, 2012.

1. proffesso

proffesso Member

yes, but yours is somewhat higher end than these ;)

how is it btw?

2. mtma

mtma Member

I'd wonder as to how much they've improved on that as well.

AFAIK the pentile matrix used on phone screens today was invented partly because of the life disparities of the subpixel performance if the manufacturers were to create equal area sub-pixels like they would normally do with traditional technology. I guess we'll find out if such trickery has been employed once they release them.

That brings up another thing, with the mobile OLED displays there is quite typically a colour shift when viewed from off axis, I wonder how good these consumer stationary displays are going to be?

3. fancourt

fancourt Member

Overall, its great. Completely black, great detail, Hugh amounts of contrast which you have to turn down. Im hoping that these take off and become the default standard so we can move away from the rec709 standard which was based around the old crt's. The amount colour we strip out to get back into a 709 gamut is quite silly. Its my understanding that the panels used in the bvm vs pvm are the same its just the electronics driving them. Hopefully this is the same for consumer setups and they use the same tech as an economy of scale kind of thing.

They still have viewing angle issues, however not as bad as lcd, they do skew off to green nd lose their contrast off angle and due to their spectrum people will see them with differently. Ie you and me may see the monitor with a different white balance, I may see green whilst you see magenta.

4. Fishface

Fishface Member

Sony announced on Monday that it has teamed up with another struggling electronics giant, Panasonic, to develop next-generation OLED (organic light-emitting diode) panels and modules for TVs and large-sized displays.

Sony said on Monday that the integration of their unique technologies will improve the overall efficiency of development, thus allowing the duo to establish mass-production technology by 2013.

Mitsushige Akino, analyst at Ichiyoshi Investment Management in Tokyo, told AFP the deal is too late in the OLED game. "They should have done such a deal five or six years ago," he said.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Sony-Panasonic-OLED-Panels-Modules,news-15663.html

5. proffesso

proffesso Member

off angle problems? hmmm, ive been reasonsably happy with plasma / ips lcd off axis, mostly just a luminance drop.

10k for a 55" oled is a relative bargain though, hopefully 24 - 36" consumer/prosumer monitors come out soonish. I dont want to drop a bmw on a bvm/pvm for home use! :/

6. round

round (Banned or Deleted)

really? i feel pretty spoiled with my current 55 led,

is it really worth the 8.5k over the pretty decent led displays today?

7. proffesso

proffesso Member

8. OP
    OP
    csimpson

csimpson Member

Yep, won't eventuate 'til 2013 at least, and they'll probably be made in Taiwan for the lowest possible cost.

Do you have one of the 17/25in models?

9. KANNIS

KANNIS Member

Another Harvey Norman RRP price???

It will come down. I can wait.

10. fancourt

fancourt Member

Not as expenseive as you might think, we're currently picking up the pvm-2541 for $5k (I think). They're a bargain. And the bvm version is over 15k cheaper than the crt bvm's they replaced.

As has been mentioned, its relative. The buy in price for early adoption for this tech is far cheaper than it was for either lcd or plasma. Yes its more expensive, but if you compare prices at the same point in the technology's lifespan, your practically stealing them. Personally, if the consumer panels are anything like my work one, I will buy one when they reach the $4k mark for home, and I'm a massive tight arse.

11. proffesso

proffesso Member

http://kakaku.com/item/K0000242262/?lid=ksearch_kakakuitem_title

holyshit, I didnt know they were that cheap. last time I looked at the pvm/bvm they were still crt

12. VTi-RT

VTi-RT Member

I hope Samsung can get their OLED TV out at the same time. I would go for one at $6k-$7k for the new tech, but $10K is a bit much.

I'm sure even at that price, these will be in very short supply. Another thought, the price will keep orders at a reasonable level.

13. flain

flain Member

Looks awesome, can't wait till they get up to 100" :)

Currently any other technology at 100" (besides projection) weighs way too much and requires a professional install which is a big barrier for most people. Hopefully in 10 years time we will see these everywhere.

14. OP
    OP
    csimpson

csimpson Member

Who has a doorway in their house that's big enough to get a 100in screen delivered through?

15. HumbleBum

HumbleBum Member

I do.

:thumbup:

16. OP
    OP
    csimpson

csimpson Member

Cool cool, I'll bring over this $65K Panasonic tomorrow then.

17. HumbleBum

HumbleBum Member

18. Kie

Kie Member

"with the 85in screen a more affordable $42,899"

rofl

But seriously, 55" for $10k? Who would you brag to about that? People either won't notice it costs that much or will think you're an idiot for spending that much.

19. icewind

icewind Member

because everyone buys tvs for our e-peen. :rolleyes:

20. KLoNe

KLoNe Member

SUPPOSEDLY better picture quality. The first large OLED will be full of faults and bugs just like the LCDs & Plasmas when they first arrived.