1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Consolidated Microsoft Surface Tablet Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Jun 19, 2012.

1. G-PhresH

G-PhresH Member

From what i have read its going to be at limited retailers in the US, so im not sure if its even going to appear here.

2. Carbyfed

Carbyfed Member

I'm afraid that's what I figured as well, may as well just grab the 128.

3. Carbyfed

Carbyfed Member

How did you make yours look like this? Looks wicked.

4. Shawry

Shawry Member

As mentioned clearly in his post....he bought skins from stickerboy.

Before going on holiday I was waiting patiently for the Pro to be released.
    Now after coming back from 2months holiday I dont have any money! Such is life.
    Will get a Pro in a few weeks.

Sketching or zbrushing while on the train with a decent stylus is my goal :cool:
    Getting out my smallish 13" laptop is still a hassle on a full train :mad:

5. Carbyfed

Carbyfed Member

Thanks for that, could have been clearer such as bolder and highlighted, potentially crayon for ease of lazy people but yeah.. L2R lol don't know how I missed that last sentence. :thumbup: will go have a look and see what other colours are available.

6. Carbyfed

Carbyfed Member

So without shuffling through 46 pages just yet - much word on the Razer edge?

I have my requirements of a tablet that I want to use for general tasks/media/training.... but also the side thought of using it for lans. Instead of lugging around my massive PC and tearing my desk apart just take that instead.. it seems fairly capable as long as I don't mind mediumish settings.

So undecided.

7. oculi

oculi Member

Finally had a go of one of these at JBhifi, my thoughts:

pros: has a real USB port

cons:

seemed very heavy

couldn't find the on screen keyboard

conclusion: i'm going to buy a 10 inch laptop and put up with winblows 8.

8. Sureshot

Sureshot Member

I'm suprised by this - the on-screen keyboard pops up whenever you need to type anything, unless the keyboard cover is attached.

I've had it glitch a couple of times and have needed to disconnect & reconnect the external keyboard before the on-screen keyboard reappears.

9. Shawry

Shawry Member

I finally bought my Surface Pro last week.
    Ordered online through M$, education discount took off $100.
    The Surface arrived in 2 days :thumbup:

Initial reactions are good. Its a bigger tablet to what I'm used to, but smaller than my normal laptop.
    I've followed steps to do a complete fresh install, and have Win 8.1 running which does make a difference in usability.

The touch keyboard is taking a bit of getting used to. Just like getting a new smartphone and getting used to the onscreen keyboard, you cant expect to just pick it up and run straightaway.
    There is a slight lag to the touch pad activating/responding when keys are being pressed (ie during gaming). Probably some tweaks to adjust that so I'll look around online.

Sketching is great and really responsive and tactile. Palm detection makes a big difference and the stylus pressure sensitivity is working for me in all programs I've tested.
    Zbrush runs pretty well, being its a CPU based program. Mudbox and 3Dcoat struggle a bit more as they are GPU based, but still usable for concept development and basic 3d sketching.

I'd love to be able to edit the onscreen keyboard layouts to get more efficiency out of them. I struggle when doing coding, as none of the default layouts quite have what I need easily accessible at once.

Battery is obviously a big stopper for a lot of people, but so far so good. I dont run for too long without charging, but I havent noticed significant drain when running games or 3d software.

10. proffesso

proffesso Member

the ram and screen size are keeping me away from the surface pro, how are you going with only 4gb? im not too concerned about cpu, but gpu/ram are a worry

11. Sureshot

Sureshot Member

So far I've found that 4GB of RAM is plenty for the general purposes that I use my Surface for. Also, the hard drive is an SSD so the system swapping data to and from RAM is not noticable.

If you are going to be using software which needs more than 4GB Ram, I'd think that the 10 inch screen would be the limiting factor long before the lack of RAM bothers you.

12. Shawry

Shawry Member

Its definitely not a production-ready device...but then nothing in this form factor really is. But it's a good replacement to get the creative process started.

It's not designed to be creating finished game art and models for next-gen games or film, but if you do you're either very patient or have extremely efficient methods. Not saying it cant be done. ;)

EDIT: Does any of that even come close to correct English grammar? Cant be bothered fixing it right now...

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  13. Sankari

Sankari Member

Yes, I kept my Prime in clamshell form 90% of the time. This year I went back to the States for another two weeks and did the same thing again. The Prime offers fantastic mobility in clamshell form, and I actually prefer to use it this way.

Moving right along... I now have a 64GB Surface RT and I'm loving it.

:Pirate:

14. clonex

clonex Member

Whats a surface pro selling for atm? Price dropped expected with expected unveiling of surface 2?

15. Sankari

Sankari Member

They've knocked $100 off both versions of the Pro. Pretty sure the Surface 2 is supposed to launch this week.

16. clonex

clonex Member

yeah tomorrow in the U.S, forgot to mention that

17. li21

li21 Member

Sorry I'm late to the game with this surface stuff and haven't read through all the pages of this thread...

Want to ask:

* If I went for RT instead of pro, can I still run normal Windows apps on it ?
    Is it a real Windows OS like on my desktop and laptops ?

* For a light user who only wants to do browsing, photos, videos and odd word doc and skyping.. will the RT 32GB be adequate given I can add storage via cards?

* What are the reasons to get a Surface RT over say a Nexus or other android device? (iPads are out of the equation for now)

18. Sankari

Sankari Member

No. You're limited to software from the Windows Store:

(Source).

It is a real Windows OS, but it's not the same as the one on your desktop and laptop.

Yes.

For me, there was just one reason: free Office Suite—including Outlook! Android can't touch that. And I'm speaking as the happy owner of a TF201.

19. 5p1k3y

5p1k3y Member

Get a Surface 2!

The performance increase should be stellar. I own both a nexus 7 2013 and a surface RT. While both are great in their own way, there is NO substitute to proper microsoft office, a USB port and full web browsing experience (with flash) !

20. Sankari

Sankari Member

To be fair, RT does have proper MS Office. Including Outlook.