1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Consolidated Microsoft Surface Tablet Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Jun 19, 2012.

1. clonex

clonex Member

So the rumours were true, whats with things getting launched/announced on 1st of April? :D

2. Sankari

Sankari Member

OK, that's impressive. Outrageous value for money.

3. dcyloo

dcyloo Member

Surface to iPad comparison:
    http://microsoft-news.com/microsoft-surface-3-vs-apple-ipad-air-2-specs-comparison/

Surface to Surface Pro comparison:
    http://www.windowscentral.com/surface-3-vs-surface-pro-3-similarities-and-differences

It's slightly thinner than the Surface Pro, slightly thicker than the iPad Air.
    It's got a smaller screen than the Surface Pro, bigger screen than the iPad Air.

For my mind, when my wife's computer finally kicks it, this and a docking station will be its replacement. External screen, more USB ports and does everything which she currently uses her iPad with plus more.

4. Phalanx

Phalanx Member

Having used a few Bay Trail tablets I'm definitely waiting to see some benchmarks and use one hands on. All reports are that Cherry Trail has massive improvements in GPU and next to nothing in CPU, but I'm not sure where the benefit lies in that. I always found Bay Trail tablets/laptops to just struggle with Windows.

Looking at JB's website, the Dell Venue 10 Pro is $500, comes with a nice screen, keyboard and wacom digitizer (pen is $30). Microsoft you're looking at $700 for the base tablet on preorder, more for the keyboard. The difference may lay in the eMMC vs a proper SSD and the option to have more RAM (the Dell maxes at 2GB), but there's still a large chunk of cash to lay out on Microsoft's build quality and a faster GPU that's still not going to get you to gaming.

5. FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

And the Dell is (at least till the end of tomorrow) just under $400 from Dell ebay.

6. stenchlord

stenchlord Member

7. stenchlord

stenchlord Member

Surface 3 was released today. I know one person from the forums got it, anyone else?

What are initial impressions like?

Still considering this or the Dell Venue 11 Pro 7000.

8. Howiefied

Howiefied Member

I had a play with a pre prod surface and really liked it. The weight, the screen size make it closer to an iPad 4 and I like the usb charging. Pretty good I may consider it as a companion to my surface pro 3.

9. stenchlord

stenchlord Member

Is there much point if you have a Pro 3?

I'm mostly interested in it to keep in my bag so that when I'm out taking photos I can transfer images to it and do some light photoshop work on the way home, etc.

10. Howiefied

Howiefied Member

Nah not really but I could use a second device for app development and client demos and don't really want to buy another sp3.

11. mtw

mtw Member

From what I can tell it is essentially a lighter, less powerful version of the Pro 3. So for most people, no there is no point if you have the Pro 3 :)

12. dcyloo

dcyloo Member

The Surface 3 is now set up to be a very capable unit. Enormously more capable than the 1 and the 2 ever were or could ever be.

The easy split in demographic market for the 2 variants would be this:
    1) If your understanding of a computers is "the monitor is connected to the hard drive" - Surface 3
    2) If you understand how an Atom and a Core processor differs between each other and could see some programs to make use of the different power capacities - Surface Pro 3

13. minushuman

minushuman Member

I have a gaming desktop at home which I'm not looking to replace, but have always found iPads to be useless for how i want to browse even on the couch.

The Surface 3 though has been awesome. Picked one up on Saturday.

The only thing I didn't know before getting this over the Pro 3 was that it uses eMMC like a phone/tablet instead of an actual SSD like the Pro.

Transfer rates are still like 130mb/s but it is definitely much slower in browsing / multitasking for things that involve seeking and writes. I feel like it really holds back the processor.

That said, I don't mind waiting a couple of seconds for chrome to load or for a save as box to appear while I'm surfing the web on the couch. As a "tablet" replacement instead of a laptop/desktop replacement, I would say that the 3's more compact size, battery life, and the USB charging probably outweigh the speed benefits of the Pro.

Secondary use is as a notepad at work. Will see how that goes.

Wish more programs (like the fuller featured Note 2013) had the circular menu for quick access with the pen.

14. stenchlord

stenchlord Member

So rumour is the Surface Pro 4 will be release early August after the release of Windows 10.

15. mtw

mtw Member

Here's hoping!

16. BGH

BGH Member

Any credible source for this?

17. mtw

mtw Member

18. stenchlord

stenchlord Member

Hadn't read those. The articles I saw a couple weeks back said August.

Something about Microsoft wanting the Surface Pro 4 to be the first device to come out with Windows 10 after it's release late July.

I'll see if I can find the articles but kinda moot if the above articles that were posted are true.

19. dcyloo

dcyloo Member

20. xplod140

xplod140 Member

Word is that all the vendors that make products for Windows are pissed that MS is doing well with the SP3. So much so that they are pushing MS to drop the product so they can get back to where they were years ago as the main brands for Windows products.

If this is true there will never be an SP4, but only time will tell.