Consolidated Soldering and Rework thread

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by trackhappy, Feb 23, 2013.

1. trackhappy

trackhappy Member

EDIT: Wow, I got stickied!

So I guess this thread will be for general discussion of soldering irons and accessories, as well as rework stations. Ask for advice on what to buy, what techniques to use to get a job done, and share your general tips and tricks! Happy soldering!

ORIGINAL POST:

I'm after a decent soldering station. I want temperature control and would really like some kind of interchangeable tip system (or at least the iron would come with a chisel tip, not a rubbish conical tip. I hate conical tips. From my experience they just don't work, they're useless at heat transfer.

Basically something decent to get me off the ground and make my life a bit easier with soldering. The last iron I had was a 20/130W turbo jaycar iron and it was rubbish. Forget about wicking away old joints with it, it was just hopeless, so I eventually binned it. I do not want another cheapo plug-in no temp control pencil iron. I've had a few of them and they've all been rubbish, no matter how many times I've practiced and no matter how many quality tutorials I watch, they're still a nightmare to use. It can't just be me?

My budget is $100 firm for off-brand items, can extend to $150 if I can somehow find a good brand with more interchangeable tips, station configuration etc or by some miracle a genuine Hakko unit (FX-888 I've been looking quite a lot at, but $170 local price makes it a bit out of my reach).

Suggestions?

Thanks guys.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  2. RussellK

RussellK Member

3. BeanerSA

BeanerSA Member

I have the above, I bought from Cool-PC on ebay, for about $50.

Scrimp, save, collect cans, pay the extra $20 for the Hakko.

4. GTR27

GTR27 Member

How bout a hakko for ~$100 AUD?

http://dx.com/p/hanko-fx-888-70w-soldering-station-ac-220v-126505

5. BeanerSA

BeanerSA Member

6. TERRA Operative

TERRA Operative Member

I still have to get around to uploading the comparison I did between the older Hakko and the Hobby King clone.

Short story, for the price you pay for the HK one, you can't really go wrong. It's not actually that bad for the price.

7. Asteroid

Asteroid Member

Honestly? It's you. While using weak irons is trickier it's a matter of timing. Once you've mastered the technique it doesn't matter what is in your hand.

Nevertheless I recommend these. They're very old-school but were the mainstay of the industry in Aus, are super reliable and will solder anything. They are temperature controlled. If a new unit is out of your price range, keep an eye on ebay/ gumtree/ swap meets and you'll find them very easily.

8. OP
    OP
    trackhappy

trackhappy Member

That HobbyKing one for $17, it's any good? Does it accept Hakko tips? Will it blow up if I plug it in?

I know about the $100 DX ones, but I don't trust anything brand-name from DX, so I'm giving that a big fat miss. If I could "afford" $100 for a likely counterfeit item, I could afford $175 for the real one.

If that HK station is really $18 I might as well give it a go. They probably sell the same thing for $100 at Jaycar.

9. B.D.R

B.D.R Member

Hunt arround on ebay belive it or not;)

I managed to snag a Micron T2418, barely used for less than $100:leet:, not so long back, i know it's not an totally upto date unit, but it does more than i will ever need:lol:

10. Asteroid

Asteroid Member

Are you having trouble removing solder from old joints? Use a solder sucker instead.

11. B.D.R

B.D.R Member

12. oculi

oculi Member

I used a goot station for ~2 years for console repairs and "upgrades" and never had a single problem with a conical tip, you should try one on a decent iron, you might be pleasantly surprised.

13. Asteroid

Asteroid Member

This is true. I've got a fine conical tip on my toolbox iron, works very well for soldering data connectors and the like.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  14. paulvk

paulvk Member

Buy this and get some new tips http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Weller-T...Electrical_Test_Equipment&hash=item35c49482e0

I have two 48V versions of this I use them all the time, I have royal, hakko, two great big old birko irons, many adcola irons and have been using a soldering iron since I was 10, I am now 55. The wellers heat up in less than 30 seconds last for decades that is a great buy! Now as far as your soldering goes do not use a cold iron you get the job done faster with a hot iron on a joint for less stress on the item you solder, next solder is also a big factor do not use consolidated alloys solder it makes the job hard, the jaycar brand solder is ok I think it is Ersin multicore which is the one to get .

15. TERRA Operative

TERRA Operative Member

Well to my untrained electricians eye, it actually looked pretty good (for the money) and not likely to catch on fire or the like.

16. toopy28

toopy28 Member

17. nobbo

nobbo New Member

Mate stick to the Hakko FX-888, we have 9 in our workshop and they are excellent. Also you can get tips here when required
    order them from Overseas Trusted sites only.
    we bought ours here for 160.00+ Gst, but my chinese freind got theres for 88.00 ea USD ! and I was surprised it was Genuine when opened up, in China last month !

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  18. OP
    OP
    trackhappy

trackhappy Member

My original budget took into account the fact that this station would be a birthday present. However since this HobbyKing one is so cheap, I could order it right away, even if it is just a temporary unit until I can afford a real Hakko.

Does this station use Hakko tips, or are chisel tips available?

19. Symon

Symon (Plugging your Socket)

No idea why you are so against conical tips. For fine work I've only ever used conicals and never had any issues.

20. TERRA Operative

TERRA Operative Member

The HK one does use Hakko tips. You can't swap the actual iron without swapping the plug though (although it's so cheap, you'd just buy a new station) but it uses the standard Hakko tips.