1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Consolidated Soldering and Rework thread

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by trackhappy, Feb 23, 2013.

1. kjparker

kjparker Member

Well colour me impressed! I ordered one of the Hobbyking units at 5:30pm on Monday. It landed on my desk today.

Not bad for a total of $25!

2. paulvk

paulvk Member

Ok had a play with the ATTEN 8586 the iron heats up in about 35 seconds and works about the same as my HAKKO 900 just a little faster heating up the supplied tip is too fine for general work so you would need to get some more tips (I am ok as I have the HAKKO tips) as I already stated the sponge is useless. Looking at some reviews on the net it was noted that the soldering iron had precidence on the unit but with my one if you have the iron on and pick up the hot air tool it swaps to the hot air. The hot air tool heats very quickly, in about 40 seconds its ready to go. I removed some surface mount chips from an old board with no trouble and no damage to the board then removed some through hole parts these took a little longer. For the cost of the unit it is worth the money. The only critisism I have is that it would be nice to have the iron stand mount on top of the unit, 4 rare earth magnets was all it took to do this, the others are the 220v transformer and the on/off switch on the back. Now its how it lasts over time.

3. RussellK

RussellK Member

I got my Hakko knock-off from Hobby King the other day. Fired it up today - heats up, melts solder, seems fine.

I like the smaller, lighter handpiece compared to my Jaycar "Duratech" knock-off iron - not sure what it's a copy of - has an LCD display with 3 set points, dropping to the lowest if you don't use it for a while.

Both suffer from an excessively-light iron holder compared to what comes with a real Hakko, and the cord isn't as floppy.

4. paulvk

paulvk Member

Yes the ones on the HAKKO and my old ROYEL are made from high temprature silicone rubber to resist burning but this is more expensive. Also to give an idea of costs a new desoldering tool for my ROYEL will cost $250 + GST + shipping.

5. TERRA Operative

TERRA Operative Member

The heater element in the gun on the Hakko 474 desoldering station at work costs $117 alone... :D

I think I'll stick to the disposable Chinese gear for home use for now.....

6. OP
    OP
    trackhappy

trackhappy Member

Yeah I think Hakko gear, despite being very nice indeed, is perhaps a bit overkill for home use, the exception being perhaps the FX-888 if you can get one cheap enough.

I'm looking forward to getting my Atten 8586 as it has been ordered, and I shall (attempt to) do a little write-up when I do receive it.

Once again thanks for the input and patience guys. I'm happy that others are getting use out of this tread, too. :thumbup:

7. LostBenji

LostBenji Member

I have removed my content.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  8. Exige

Exige (Banned or Deleted)

Always thought about something like that, for when my consoles go poof (had more than a few), plus for friends and family. I could never justify the cost, and that's because I only ever looked retail.

Let us know your thoughts on it after you've had a good chance to use it Benji.

9. LostBenji

LostBenji Member

I have removed my content.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  10. brokenback

brokenback Member

I still have an old Adcola twin iron station running, must be 35 years old now. It's a Kinda hybrid station nowdays as I updated it to run Royel irons.

I'm running out of tips etc so really need to replace it except, once you have dual iron station...you'll never go back!

11. RussellK

RussellK Member

Meh, I've got the old Superscope sitting by if I need extra grunt - now there's a decent heat-up time.

That said, I wouldn't mind one of them little hair dryers for SMD and component harvesting.

12. RussellK

RussellK Member

Given my first post in this thread was a link to an iron that cost $25 delivered, you can probably guess that no, I've not used a Metcal.

Then again, when it comes time to doing a bit of guttering work I'd like to see how far your fancy-pants Metcal gets.

13. paulvk

paulvk Member

You can still get the tips just not the old parts for the Iron, still get the sponges as well as I posted further up the new desolder tool is $250 + gst + delivery you can get the hakko iron to run on the old station my 900m does.

14. aXis

aXis Member

I just got mine this arvo. Very surprised how fast it heats up, would have been far less than 30 seconds to reach 350deg - I looked away briefly to do something else and when I turned back it the heating inticator was already flashing. Pretty pleased so far, just got to get some more tips as the one included is superfine.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  15. buggyboy

buggyboy Member

Soldering Iron Advice

So i currently own one of these Jay Car soldering irons: http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=TS1620

It isn't the worst soldering iron out there, but it certainly isn't the greatest though. My main annoyance is the temperature control on it, it reminds me of a kids toy with the color coded temperature chart on it. So each time i use it, it's like taking a wild guess about what temperature it is at. I'm not even going to mention the conical tip...

I'll also like to point out i don't have too much experience soldering, but I'm sure i have at least nailed the basics of it. Either way, I'm looking to get more serious about electronics, soldering in particular, and i want good quality parts to accompany me on my journey - and last a particularly long time.

My journey will mainly involve circuit board component re-flowing (think that is the correct terminology), so nothing too crazy. I'll cut to the chase though. I came across this on Ebay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/221204364902?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#shId and i think it's right for me. I know Hakko is a good brand for the soldering iron, and as for the chisel tip....well it had me at chisel tip. I'm also sure the Hot Air Gun and DC power supply will come in handy too.

I'm just looking for opinions on if this kit is right for my intended use? Is it too powerful? Will it turn my PCB into charcoal?

It also is located about 20 minutes from where i live, so deliver is only a few days. What to do. What to do. :confused::tongue::leet:

16. TERRA Operative

TERRA Operative Member

17. buggyboy

buggyboy Member

Hmmm. The heat gun looks pretty decent, but there is quite a bit of negative feedback on that seller about items not arriving and also a lack of communication. I'd be wary :)

I also couldn't help noticing that link in the video that said "WARNING: One unit has been found to have been dangerously mis-wired:" :D Quite the sale killer...

I'm still not sure what i should do. The Yihua 853D has everything AIO - certainly a pro perk since i don't have too much space to work with. Although, i don't want to be buying cheap Chinese knock offs with the premium price tag, if that is the case.

So does anyone own a Yihua 853D? Anyone want to say some good words about em'? :thumbup:

18. TERRA Operative

TERRA Operative Member

There are other sellers to buy from, I just chose the first link. :)

Once I get one, I'll do a full review like my soldering iron one.

19. paulvk

paulvk Member

20. buggyboy

buggyboy Member

I've also ordered one from the Ebay Link - based in Australia. The good news is that the location of it is 20 minutes away from where i live, so that minimizes the potential damage that could happen along the way.

I'll share my opinion on it once i receive it, either tomorrow or the day after.

:)