1. Win some Crucial goodies in OCAU's Christmas Treasure Hunt!
    Dismiss Notice

Consolidated Soldering and Rework thread

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by trackhappy, Feb 23, 2013.

1. dakiller

dakiller (Oscillating & Impeding)

68uH, looks to be about 1A rated too. Anything +-50% of that will be fine too.

2. chip

chip Member

cheers, now to find and fit a replacement.

3. sammytrailor

sammytrailor Member

These should work:

Digikey

Element14

4. chip

chip Member

cheers, the Bourns SDE0604A-680K were what I ended up grabbing.

5. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

If you have old graphics cards laying around, those type of inductors are all over it you can rip it off from.

6. anark1

anark1 Member

Soldering Irons

ive always used cheap soldering irons (sub$50) for car wiring and hobby kits.

With me now starting to build quadcopters and doing more soldering its a good time to look at upgrades.

ive always heard Weller to be a good brand, would it be wise to invest in a weller soldering station?

http://www.radioparts.com.au/product/38571712/wes51d?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqc_qjuPd1QIVWgQqCh3ivwxtEAYYAiABEgJsavD_BwE

or

http://www.radioparts.com.au/product/38571718/wesd51dau-temperature-controlled-station-with-digital-lcd-display

is what i was thinking of.

any advice would be appreciated.

7. dirtyd

dirtyd Member

I've used those Weller irons and they are pretty good, can't really go wrong.

8. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

I find the entry Weller units to be overrated compared to competition units, they are also more expensive quality for quality wise comparisons. Get a genuine Hakko (sub $200) or a Metcal ($350+) if you're doing more serious work.

9. pfrcom

pfrcom Member

Your first choice, WES51D, a little cheaper ($179 +GST) at Mektronics who have it on sale at present Mektronics Weller WES51D

Mektronics first class outfit, offer Free shipping for orders above $150 +GST

They also have Hakko FX-888D on sale Mektronics Hakko FX-888D

Many Internet critics rate Hakko above Weller

10. dirtyd

dirtyd Member

I've used both and struggled to notice a difference. I can also get pretty good results with my Chinese unit that the purists would spit on, so I think it's more about how well you can solder and the tips you use.

11. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

It's not just about getting the same results with cheap shitty Chinese knockoffs or brands as that is dependant on the person using the iron. The difference is in the element heat up time, quality and availability of interchangeable/self serviceable/replaceable parts and long term reliability usage.

The amount of Chinese branded soldering stations I've owned and used is well into the 20's including various 'well regarded' units by internet critics but all of them have broken down and gone faulty either within a year or just over 2 years, while my Micro soldering station from the late 80's is still going strong and my Hakko just stretching past 6 years.

Personally I'd advise to avoid any Chinese unit with a digital temp display and have at least a 4 wire lead heating element for proper temperature adjustment/sensing for anybody looking to buy a cheap sub $100 Chinese station, only light soldering so don't expect it to be a workhorse or better yet reliable.

12. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

Tried one of these? https://www.banggood.com/MINI-TS100...ron-Station-Built-in-STM32-Chip-p-984214.html

Was looking at grabbing one, supposed to be ok for the price and the programmable MC looks coool

13. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Nope haven't tried that, actually asked somebody else who does with there impressions on the unit in this thread:

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=1227647

With such low power/heat output on the tip don't expect it to help you whizz through soldering with ease as it is not a substitute for a soldering station.

14. dirtyd

dirtyd Member

Yeah the Chinese units are cheap, and you get what you pay for, but from my personal experience they are still serviceable, mine has been in action for 7 years. I had to replace an air pump for the hot air gun about a year ago, and the relay for the air pump was wired incorrectly from day one. For getting actual results, if you are on a budget and your expectations are realistic, they are fine.

15. axx

axx Member

So, eBay has used Hakka 936 for about $60 delivered, Amazon US, has a fx888d for about $140 delivered. would the old 936 still have parts availability, or would they all be in the knock off league? As I'm only a hobbyist, I wouldn't need an expensive one.

16. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Anyone have any thoughts on which would be best for a very basic (learning) hobbyist doing RPi/Arduino stuff?

I initially bought a Hakko Red 60W iron that's just the old style not controlled temp stick type. Cost ~$25 or something. I'd been having a shit of a time soldering anything, the tip wouldn't stay tinned and was just burning itself away. It's been ~15yr since I did soldering last but I remember being heaps better.

My old man came around and pulled the tip waaaay out of the handle and that seems to have dropped the temp down and it's manageable now. Heaps better to use.

BUT then he told me about the TS100! It appeals strongly to my gadget nerd side. Custom firmwares for a soldering iron? Hell yes! All the forum reviews I've read seem pretty favourable.

Any reason I wouldn't buy it and just keep using the Hakko for my purposes?

17. mtma

mtma Member

If your only iron is the Hakko Red and you want to be messing around with microcontroller stuff, then changing to a reasonable temp controlled iron will be a decent step up.

Leave the 60W for auto electrics and heavy stuff when you find the smaller irons run out of puff. 60W on Arduino type stuff is like peeling apples with an axe.

18. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Awesome, just what I wanted to hear ;)

It's a bit of a shame I have to buy a power adapter as well which jumps the price a fair bit and within $50 of the Hakko soldering station but this one seems like it will be just fine for my use and has a few novel features while still being cheaper overall.

19. axx

axx Member

Any ideas, is it worth going the cheaper second hand? Just soldering Rc crawler esc's, plugs etc...

20. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

I was watching some videos on the TS100 last night and one of them specifically included tinning/soldering PDB leads for multicopters. The guy thought due to size and low power the TS100 would be inferior but it worked pretty well apparently.

'Tis a cheap option and can be used portably as well if field repairs are a thing for you.

That said - I'm a noob so not sure if I should be making suggestions :)