1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Consolidated spider related thread!

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by ndt, Jan 13, 2011.

1. BassKat

BassKat Member

I remember hearing some tourists from the US ask "You guys have a spider called the hunts-man?!?"

Must admit they are scary and bad ass looking though, very suitable name...

2. Aratama_Bashi

Aratama_Bashi Iron Photographer

US tourists are always mis-pronouncing shit (esp. proper nouns)... then they have the height to correct how people say "Obama" :rolleyes:

3. Lemmingski

Lemmingski Member

How the heck do THEY pronounce it??

As for spiders, it's not always the size that counts.
    I rounded up a redback that was on my toddlers toilet seat. If she'd been there at the time, I would have been squishing it without hesitation, but I caught it in a takeaway container and gave it to my ex girlfriend.

She's studying entomology and collects bugs, I didn't just sneak in and put it under her pillow.

4. Creekin

Creekin (Taking a Break)

aww how romantic... :lol:

they pronounce it "O-bum-a" "O-bam-a" "O-bom-a" you name it :rolleyes:

5. Aratama_Bashi

the main gripe americans have against poms is evidently the "O". yanks maintain that poms often say "a-BAHM-a", like pronouncing the O so quickly that it sounds like a minor 'a' sound. which i have to say, i've heard it a bit on the bbc world service. but still, americans are certainly not ones to talk when it comes to speaking mouth-words in odd ways :weirdo:

we just tell them to STFU and drink a glass of spiders :Pirate:

6. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

Story from my childhood...

My mum made a cup of coffee, sat it on the bench and went and laid down for 5 mins so that it could cool down.. she went back into the kitchen and grabbed the coffee, then went back to her bedroom to drink it.. all I can remember of the situation was that mum spewed it all back up.. not just an ordinary spew but projectile spewing, as when she got to the bottom of the cup, a massive brown cockroach was laying at the bottom.. it had obviously crawled into the cup and then died..

Even to this day it makes her cringe and dry wretch..

7. Tabris

Tabris Member

Shouldn't have read this, I know there are two mid-large sized huntsmans in this room (both <2m away) but currently I do not know their precise location.

Now I'm feeling things crawling on me...

Nesting in my ears...

Waiting till I close my eyes before they move...

8. Creekin

Creekin (Taking a Break)

have a great day :thumbup: :lol:
    :Paranoid:

9. VL_BT1

VL_BT1 Member

dont like spiders although i can tolerate the smaller ones if i know where they are. Big ones need to die though.

Big flying insects i fucking hate though. Spiders at least have to walk, big fuck off wasps and dragon flies are so random i wont go near them.

I had a motel room once and have the window open for a nice breeze and a wasp comes along for a peek, and lands on the inside of the glass door. I freak, edge over crouched so low and gingerly close the curtains thinking the bastard would then fly out again. Instead up flies up over the railing and in to the room. I panic and head for the bathroom and hide there for a few minutes until i realize the curtains are closed so he has no obvious escape and i have lost sight of him and now have no idea where he is. I mustve been there for 20 minutes talking myself up to walk out and open the curtains. Eventually i end up outside on the balcony with the door open waiting until he comes out. Never saw him though and still dont know to this day if he ever got out. Took me a good couple of hours to feel comfortable in the room

Was driving along with my GF at the time and stopped at a set of traffic lights. She glances over and sees a large huntsman on the window, she is totally fearful of any type of spider. Bam she leaps out of the car, I have NFI whats going on, glancing around i spot the spider on the rear drivers side window, dont know if its inside or out. Light goes green and i have to go scared as fuck. Not sure what the other motorists thought i did to her for her to get out in such a hurry. Eventually parked and got it off. Car spiders are the worst

10. dead_man

dead_man Member

not even close. try riding a bike down the freeway then having a huntsman crawl onto the inside of your visor at 110km/h!

happened to a mate of mine.

11. JoJoker

JoJoker (Banned or Deleted)

directed by M. Night Shyamalan

12. Lemmingski

Lemmingski Member

Epic freakout ensued? Even better if they thought it was actually in the distance and just happened to be a hundred foot wide.

13. Creekin

Creekin (Taking a Break)

:eek::shock::lol::lol::lol::thumbup:
    gota tell my mate that as he gets on his bike to leave

14. OP
    OP
    ndt

ndt Member

I remember as a kid when it would start raining your'd run and grab your gum boots and we'd have to pour boiling water in them first, then watch all the redbacks wash out.

15. juscal

juscal Member

Or better yet, actually put a spider in his helmet. Film for lulz.

16. Creekin

Creekin (Taking a Break)

:thumbup:
    yeah to this mate i could get away with that,
    as long as i can run faster than him :lol:

he works the eastern creek ride days, (track "admin" ) so any bike guys here would appreciate me doing it ;)

17. Aratama_Bashi

dude, dragonflies are your BEST flying insect friend. they are awesome. they look cool. the eliminate other pesky insects - you wont get bitten by mozzies with dragonflies around. and they arent interested in you at all. they pretty much always give people a metre or two of space :) learn to love!

18. aznpsuazn

aznpsuazn Member

Yea ok people keep saying Hunstman spiders are harmless. Yes their venom doesn't make you sick, but the bite is really fucking painful. And if one bit your nad while you were driving, surely you will crash

19. Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

There was a baby huntsman, about 3mm long in the kitchen just now. Was missing a front leg. Poor little bugger :(

Oh well, he will end up like the 200 baby huntsmans I committed spider genocide on 18 months ago. Yes, there were actually 200 baby huntsmans in my bathroom... and I went to town on them with flyspray :D

How do I know there were 200? I had to pick each one up off the floor :thumbdn: Counted 196 :p

20. Aratama_Bashi

eeewww dude, bugger that; vacuum cleaner ftw!