1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Consolidated Xeon E5-2670 Thread (The now $100 8-Core LGA2011 CPU) NO LISTING SALES!

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by sonicthemouse, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Acesi7

Acesi7 Member

All sold now, but was X79 Dark with 3960x

2. Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

3. jravin

jravin Member

I believe there is a MB BIOS setting controlling whether Turbo is active not. Check it out. ( I have the exact same board, and it ran at 3GHz running SETI at home with a pair of 2670 v1s.)

4. Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

i looked and possibly have set it wrong, but i'm sure it's right,m double checked and it looks right.

any chance of a picture of your settings please ?

5. jravin

jravin Member

I can't find the setting ATM. Maybe look under CPU configuration-> power management? If it's not there: Are you running Windows? Apparently you can shut it down under Windows power management- Google "turn off Intel CPU turbo ".

6. koss

koss Member

What's the go in entry level motherboards for the Xeon E5-2670 ?

7. Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

those chinese no brand copies ?

the ones with no support, and maybe some drivers if you're lucky ?

stay away hahaha

8. Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

well, i fixed the turbo issue, however i decided to put my stuff up for sale, new uni semester ( need to focus on studies ) and a low bank balance :/ life.

9. jravin

jravin Member

Just curious - HOW did you fix it? (since you asked)

10. Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

it was just windows power setting inside of windows 7, had nothing to do with bios :) just changed from power saving mode and turbo was back :)

11. OP
    OP
    sonicthemouse

sonicthemouse Member

12. Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

Nah, but if anyone is looking for a dual socket motherboard with cpu's and memory, send me a message ;)

13. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

14. Commie_Mike

Commie_Mike Member

There's also some Tyan brand motherboards on ebay that are suspiciously cheap...

They look ok, whether they perform is another matter.

15. WildWebb

WildWebb Member

I did works fines. Tested with cheappy E5-2630L-(edit) its running 24/7 as a Plex server for a 2 week now. Quad channel support :) tested and working
    No overclocking that I can find just the wattage options which max out at 250.
    RAM OC - TBC
    VRMs are not hot to touch at all, but i am only running teh E5-1230L so thats nothing to go by.
    Is there anything some one wants me to test or look for in the bios or attached HW monitor, not sure what the high temps are relating to nothing feels hot at all on the board.
    Capture.JPG

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  16. OP
    OP
    sonicthemouse

sonicthemouse Member

Thanks for the info! That's really useful as I could reinstate my E5-2630 & 2x8gb ECC using one of these boards!

Wouldn't stress about the temps, I assume they just didn't code something correctly, pretty unlikely that any components are actually at those temps if you can't feel it.

Can you link me the exact model of the board you got?

I noticed there are also some available on AliExpress that seem to be newer versions than the ones offered on eBay, by the same manufacturer (from what I can tell).

Also I have a spare 2x8gb ECC if you need it for yours and want to make me an offer lol :thumbup:

17. WildWebb

WildWebb Member

yeh thought it didnt add up with the temps. I would be interested to see how it would handle an 8 core. Super stoked everything just worked even runing 12GB (2x4GB & 2x2GB:sick:) ram different speeds & brand and it still ran quad channel. Also got it down to 65W draw from the wall at idle after tinkering with the BIOS (drives spundown) good for 24/7 plex server. Might be beneficial for me to put up a simple vid of the bios settings so people know what to expect.

This the board I got: LINK. yeh im interested in ECC in the future but let me know if it works with the boards lol :Pirate: yeah i would go the AliExpress ones then.
    I did want to try one of those AliExpress HUANAN motherboards they look a little better quality and more features LINK on special atm, seems to be a better community following for them too bios mods ect.

18. XtehseA

XtehseA Member

Hey guys,

I am in the market for a case for my new gear thanks to Mathuisella as my Corsair 750D case is just not wide enough.
    Anyone able to confirm any cheapish EATX cases that will fit a dual socket motherboard or should i just get a Norco 4RU case?

Cheers

19. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

20. XtehseA

XtehseA Member

Great thanks for the tip!