Consolidated Xeon E5-2670 Thread (The now $100 8-Core LGA2011 CPU) NO LISTING SALES!

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by sonicthemouse, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Acesi7

Acesi7 Member

Be careful virtualizing a RAID configuration. Pretty much everyone recommends against it for mission critical data. Just setup for FS on the VM Host and then share it out to all the VMs. Same space, just safer.

2. Acesi7

Acesi7 Member

To address the VT-d on the S2600CP. I've done it on mine without issue with both a pair of IBM M1015's (for testing purposes only, still deciding on the OS of my SAN), and an ATi (5670 I think) and Nvidia (GT 620) GPU. Works fine. Didn't have any issue with it.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  3. WallySimmonds

WallySimmonds Member

Yep - well, I've actually been running a similar setup for a few years using Napp-IT and Openindiana, and more recently with OmniOS.

It's fine for NAS purposes, but of course people still run backups, right?

never mind NFS performance with Vmware/ZFS seems to be completely pants, but it's fine for what I'm after.

4. Acesi7

Acesi7 Member

No dramas then mate :thumbup:

Adding ESX to the mix and now I understand. I did mention in my post that if you have a VM host you not telling me about to disregard. :lol:

No offence intended.

As for VT-d on ESXi (6.0 I presume?) I've got that going on my current server (Just a small machine with a Xeon 1230v2) and it works just fine. Can't imagine that it would be any more difficult with the S2600CP.

Also, given it's ESXi you won't really need a video out once you've installed and setup Networking.

Did you have any specific questions or scenario's you were curious about?

Haven't finalised my build yet, so happy to throw some things in my rack at home and test out if you like.

Let me know.

5. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

I have a theory that these CPU's are held back by the 115W TDP. Even though temps are fine I notice them throttling or not holding turbo a lot of the times. I am getting my hands on a 2680, which is only 100mhz faster but has a 130W TDP. I am hoping it will sustain turbo speeds.

6. Peromaniac

Peromaniac Member

The Phanteks Enthoo Pro and Enthoo Luxe would be smaller, and more versatile options, personally I am a sucker for Phanteks.. And for good reason. :p
    ~https://www.pccasegear.com/products/27575/phanteks-enthoo-pro-chassis-black
    ~https://www.pccasegear.com/products/28285/phanteks-enthoo-luxe-chassis-black

Have seen some people modify the S340 too, fits SSI-EEB so tightly, but does fit it with some dire modification...

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  7. Peromaniac

Peromaniac Member

Motherboard came in today! PSU tomorrow, this thing is really coming together now! Loving the twin stacks :p:p

[​IMG]

8. Blaek

Blaek Member

Anyone know local AUS online distributor for cables? Looking for a eps 8 pin y splitter, 30CM EPS extension cables, 30CM atx extension cables, hopefully all from the same seller.

ps. Don't hate me cause I'm splitting the EPS.

9. Acesi7

Acesi7 Member

I used PriceUSA. Was very happy with the service.

Isn't exactly cheap though.

I did have correspondence with Natex about directly shipping to Australia, which they were happy to do. However the price quoted was around $400US. So that was a non-starter.

After fees for PriceUSA, I think I got my 2xE5-2670,1xS2600CP,64gb RAM for around $900AUD landed.

10. Blaek

Blaek Member

Went directly to Natex, ended up being ~800 incl shipping. Emailing Natex was hopeless. Called Natex direct put through to sales, then R2 Disassembly division (who are doing the ebay store), paid over the phone by CC.

11. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

You're aware that the ESXi NFS client forces a sync after writes? This is the usual reason that people using ZFS as storage for ESXi VM's have performance issues. More here

12. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

I find it counter productive to run zfs in vm. If you are paranoid enough about you data to use zfs then you want your os to talk to the hardware directly.

13. WallySimmonds

WallySimmonds Member

Thanks for this, quite interesting. I had read that the introduction of a ZIL SSD drive would help with the issue but not completely solve it.

I need to do some more investigation I think.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  14. im late

im late Member

The point of this thread is the CPU in question, not "zfs" pool, etc...

Back on topic guys :sick:

15. Tommo_Aus

Tommo_Aus Member

Do server boards support DDR3L (1.35v) ECC if they don't expressly mention it in the manual? Looking at a Hynix listing on eBay but its 1.35 not 1.5v, will this work or is support sketchy?

16. v81

v81 Member

My understanding is that DDR3L can be treated like regular DDR3.
    It can run stable at 1.35v, but it should also be fine at 1.5v.

Don't quote me on this though, can't remember where i read it.

17. Vanilla_Thunder

Vanilla_Thunder Member

Recently bought an E5 2670 off this forum. Looking for a suitable x79 board now. Have a bunch of ram laying around, screaming to be used...

Does anyone know of any leads for a suitable x79 board?

18. im late

im late Member

Not at the $150 offers you been making of late. That is soooo last year...

I just sold my Asus P9X79 WS the other day here fairly easily for $375pp.

You gonna have to up your budget if you wanna get in the X79 game.

All of us who have spare X79 boards know how much we can get for them, and we will educate noobs with them who don't.

Back to topic....

19. Vanilla_Thunder

Vanilla_Thunder Member

Wow, slightly stalkerish. Hmmm I have noticed x79 motherboards have become a bit of a commodity of late due to this CPU. Interested in any leads with a price more respective of the current market.

Is this post not at all related to the topic of this thread?

20. OP
    OP
    sonicthemouse

sonicthemouse Member

I have a Rampage IV Formula with 2 dead RAM slots and no IO shield, but even that I'm not sure I'd sell for < $200 :lol:

In all seriousness, unless you luck out and get a whole X79 system like sammy_b0i did and then just re-sell pretty much every other part of it, you won't get anything fully working for < $200.

I have used DDR3L in a number of situations where DDR3 is specified (although not specifically with X79) and have never had an issue :thumbup:

In other news, has anyone got an AHCI or NVMe m.2 SSD running on an X79 platform yet?

I've ordered an adaptor from eBay but still waiting on it to arrive.

My Lite-On 128gb and Samsung PM841 256gb m.2 drives both work fine to boot from but they're SATA3 based, which is also so last year. I'm hoping that NVMe will be bootable becuase my PM951 runs like a rocket in my Z97 build (sig), and even then it's limited to PCI-E x2 until I move to Skylake / X99 or whatever.