1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Consolidated Xeon E5-2670 Thread (The now $100 8-Core LGA2011 CPU) NO LISTING SALES!

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by sonicthemouse, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/401105935749

a board for those who want the best asus has to offer.

also, the guy i got my 2 Lenovo Dual socket boards has got 8 more now :D

Who wants a
    Dual socket
    PIE 3.0 16x slots ( 2 of them 16x electrical ) also a PCI slot for the old sound card you love

10 Sata ports ( including sata 3 )
    USB 3.0
    mSATA ( 1 of them on the motherboard itself )
    Intel c602 chipset for registered ddr3 ecc ram :D

Standard E-ATX form factor
    for $500
    Here's a piccy of the board

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTM4NlgxNjAw/z/VCAAAOSwv0tU6bBT/$_1.JPG?set_id=880000500F

http://www.d9commerce.com/api-connect/image_store/20141210/4548-1478-20141210-5440.JPG

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/ODUyWDExMzY=/z/eTEAAOSweW5U6bBw/$_35.JPG

2. OJR

OJR Member

Correct they are 2RX4.

Unfortunately not. I'm pulling out a few Z400 (Xeon W3680) but this is the only Z420 that's up for replacement so I nabbed it for myself hoping to put a 2670 in it. I'm not sure that I need the core count over the 6 cores in it already.

I'll install ESXi and see how I go. If I need more cores I will grab the 2670.

3. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

Whats the likely hood of chasing down a MATX X79 board?

Asus Rampage Gene IV
    AsRock Extreme 4M
    MSI X79MA-GD45

For shits and gigs thinking of upgrading my home server (dual core celeron)

I use to run a dedicated server in a data centre in Sydney, when i still ran Exothermic Servers (hosted css, tf2, cod and teamspeak servers)

That had a 3930K with the MSI boards when those parts were new, should of kept them! Rare as henths teeth now. Looking online X99 matx boards new are cheaper then x79 matx boards used.

4. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

Honestly unless you encode all day 6 cores at higher clocks will do fine, but if you ever want to get rid of the 1650 let me know as I'm looking for a higher clocked 2011 cpu with ecc support.

5. Kelvin

Kelvin Member

The microatx x79 boards were rare as hens teeth, even before the xeon 2670 craze started..

Best to put a wtb...and hope an estimated price you are prepared to pay.. Is more likely to get a respnose..

I suspect $300 plus will be required

6. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

as i suspected! Can get a matx x99 board for that price (eventhough 2011-3 cpu's are much more $$$ then 2011 cpus, thats the trade off i guess!)

Considering the MSI X79 board i had in my dedi was around that new, pretty good for older hardware to retain its value.

Even had a look at X58 Matx, but in all seriousness the G1840 Celeron and B85 matx is more then powerful for what i use it for (just storage of HD movies and TV shows), and serviio, to allow the three tvs in the house to stream)

Dont need to change to a xeon x58/x79 setup but always looking for an excuse to build something else!

cheers for the reply.

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  7. Brangas

Brangas Member

damn and my extreme4m has just been sitting around!

8. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

What would you want for it?? :p

9. Brangas

Brangas Member

haha sorry i just bought one of these cpus the other day for it

10. xlot

xlot Member

Hmm.. after crunching numbers, I've decided to be a cheapskate and go with a dual-1366 solution as my home server upgrade..

Tyan dual-1366 mobo with 18 ram slots, IPMI, quad ethernet = $US90
    Pair of hex-core HT 32nm X5670 Westmere-EP = $US60ea

Then I'll buy 96GB of the RAM in the OP, and if that doesn't prove enough I can always chuck in another 64GB.

Solves my two upgrade desires, RAM and AESNI, and should see me through another 3 years until the next wave of data center clearouts starts to throw away Haswell 2011 V3 chips :)

11. Peromaniac

Peromaniac Member

No way... What a good score!!

12. Kelvin

Kelvin Member

Could you please provide a link to the USD$60 X5670..
    looking to upgrade a couple of dual cpu servers..

Personally.. I suggest, buying a whole server, rather than the board separately.. saves you trying to get a case and powersupply an HSFs.

Dual Socket 1366 machine turn up on the forums for between $200 and $300 regularly, with varying amounts of ram, usually with low end CPUs..

If you are carefully and buy the right machine, the higher end xeons, can be dropped in very cheaply..

13. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

Good stuff.

Im entrigued, but my home server only serves a purpose to store movies/tv shows and run serviio, allowing all the tvs in the house to stream. currently powered by a celeron G1840 with 4GB of ram. runs perfectly.

I dont need to run a 2670 and x79 in there, but i want too, haha!

Ill keep my eyes open for an X79 MATX board!

14. wwwww

wwwww Member

For around $400 you can get full servers, I picked one off eBay, HP branded, dual X5560s, 24GB RAM, 4x146GB 10k drives (will be replaced with SSDs), dual redundant PSUs (both working), 8 HS bays, etc. Installing HyperV standalone server atm, once it's ready I'll live migrate some VMs to it and run it 'til it fails.

Word of warning though, the first boot took several minutes (running all its diagnostics) during which the fans were on full speed, best not to do this at night lest break a few noise pollution laws.

15. chook

chook Member

Just bought one of these. I have a 3820 sitting in a Gigabyte X79-UP4 right now that is my everything computer. No idea what the benefit of this CPU is but somewhere in the future I could see this board and CPU replacing the E3-1230 board in my ESXi host (or so I will keep telling myself). Only potential dampeners on this are the lack of ECC support with X79 and lack of compatibility between ESXi and desktop hardware. For $100 I don't really mind if it gives me something new to play with ;).

16. yanman

yanman Member

One cool option is running Proxmox - a Debian based distro with nice VM and Linix container management. If you want ESXi you can run it inside a KVM VM :p I'm planning on running my main Win10 desktop inside a kvm vm and passing through a gpu and a usb controller

17. WallySimmonds

WallySimmonds Member

I doubt you'll have issues with ESXi and that kit.

On a side note, your post made me recheck my incoming X79 board - for some reason I thought it could take ECC (It's a GA-X79-UD5). I had mistaken it for the GA-X79S-UP5 which uses the C602 chipset.

Might have to rethink my build.

18. chook

chook Member

I have also seriously considered this option. The main reason I never got around to it was essentially finding a server board that ran Crossfire and ECC at a price I was willing to pay. I haven't looked at that need for a long time however nothing with 'Socket 2011' on it that even looks like a working motherboard seems cheap from this thread.

I am still open to the idea and was thinking about grabbing a second CPU while they are cheap along with a board and RAM to add to the RAM already in the server. I could move that on then if I could and get a dual socket board with 32GB per socket (preference for 64GB) and my 7970's passed through. I think you still need AMD cards to do DirectPath I/O (VMware lingo).

Hugely OT but the idea of having a single, large highly virtualised desktop device is something that greatly interests me.

I think there is a problem with the Fresco Logic USB 3.0 controller and VMware not having drivers. You can roll your own into a custom ISO to install or build a patch I think.

Yes, Gigabyte were (are?) confusing around that time a bit with those minor details :S. In Windows Device Manager it reports as a 'C600/X79 series chipset'. Sometime ago I remember reading that the differences were mainly firmware however couldn't track that down. It is also possibly worth mentioning that my motherboard is revision 1.0 too and not the later revision 1.1.

Last edited: May 3, 2016
  19. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

Chuck some 2rx8 ecc ram there and most likely they will work with your x79

20. chook

chook Member

That is very interesting given the ECC RAM I am using in my server right now is Kingston KVR13E9/8HM which is just that.