Consolidated Xeon E5-2670 Thread (The now $100 8-Core LGA2011 CPU) NO LISTING SALES!

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by sonicthemouse, Feb 8, 2016.

1. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

Not to mention that's unbuffered ecc, so I am 99% certain it will work, however whether the ecc function is actually active is another question all together.

2. chook

chook Member

Which would be an issue. I run a Solaris machine with RAID-Z2 which is why I went for the ECC RAM plus Xeon CPU originally on the host. Oh well, short lived excitement was still exciting :).

3. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

you can check whether it's working using memtest. My asus x79 works.

4. chook

chook Member

That might be worth doing. Won't be hard to take one of those sticks from the server and test it in the desktop. Have to send a service alert to all my stakeholders (i.e. me) with the information about the service interruption.

5. ae00711

ae00711 Member

I can't remember what memtest says to display that ECC is functional - refresh me please?

6. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

memtest always defaults to ecc off but if you can go to options and toggle ecc on then it's working.

7. yanman

yanman Member

Not sure about VMware but there is no problems with AMD or Nvidia in KVM as long as your cpu and board support VT-x and VT-d and your GPU has a UEFI BIOS. USB is also working fine. There's a huge reddit on it and various other sites have covered the build (with KVM)

8. Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

9. ae00711

ae00711 Member

very nice! :)
    I wouldn't mind that mobo! :p
    how much RAM you sticking in?

10. Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

128GB DDR3 1600MHz ECC registered. Going the full 24/7 stability PC.
    In the picture though is 196Gb of ram. ( same as above )

I have 2 more mobos on the way, I only need 2, got a spare just incase of a DOA and if all is good i'll be offering it here for sale for a lucky OCAU'er who hasn't had much luck finding a board.

11. ikonz0r

ikonz0r Member

Don't suppose anyone has some ECC Registered memory they wish to offload accidently thinking their consumer C602 board could handle it ? trying to match some samsung 1333 :lol:

12. Kelvin

Kelvin Member

4gig sticks or 8 gig sticks???

13. ikonz0r

ikonz0r Member

8's

I aint fasting :lol:

14. NitroGuy

NitroGuy Member

Hey guys, I've read through the thread so please forgive me if this question has been asked already:

Since this is a Xeon CPU, isn't it possible some desktop apps will not work because this is a server CPU???

I had problems when I was running Windows 2003 because many apps will state "This OS is a server OS and this app only runs on desktop versions of Windows such as XP/Vista."

15. TripleJ85

TripleJ85 Member

That's an issue with the operating system not the CPU. If you had installed XP/Vista on that machine you would have been fine.

16. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

I can't see any reason why an application would care what x86 CPU you have. I had a 1231v3 before the 2670 and nothing I have tried to run has ever cared about the specific CPU model, so you will be fine.

17. chook

chook Member

A few years ago (maybe 2 now?) when I built the server the whole DPIO thing was new and shiney and only AMD supported the GPU pass through for proper 3D acceleration etc. Since then I haven't kept up with the changes as what I have works for me. That was until someone drove a dump truck full of socket 2011 8 core Xeons up to the Internet...

18. Ck21

Ck21 Member

FYI, nVidia drivers check for telltale signs its running on a hypervisor, if it does, it refuses to run, as its a "feature" of quadros/tesla's only.

If you enable the options to hide KVM from guest OS's, its not a problem and geforce gpus work just fine.

19. chook

chook Member

That seems familiar, actually from when I put my ESXi box together. I was at first going to do KVM instead of VMware however the GPU thing and the (then?) slightly better performance of ESXi as KVM still essentially has (had?) a second level of abstraction over ESXi.

All pretty OT for the Xeon thing maybe but given the number of people looking at some kind of virtual server with them maybe not?

20. joshpond

joshpond Member

With everyone who does gpu passthrough, does the hdmi audio passthrough as well?
    I've got an AMD 6550 i think, basic card for a windows vm. The gpu works but the hdmi audio is either not working or in use? This is with xenserver.
    Josh