Consolidated Xeon E5-2670 Thread (The now $100 8-Core LGA2011 CPU) NO LISTING SALES!

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by sonicthemouse, Feb 8, 2016.

1. yanman

yanman Member

Looks like I have a RAM problem :/

Just running a full memtest while I go to work but I've had a few app exception issues pop up, one in Prime95 just now and I think it was RAM.

I'm running at 1600 as spec.. maybe the timings aren't right? Not sure.

This is the RAM i bought:
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Samsung-...CL11-Registered-REG-ECC-Memory-/231910086281?

Mathuisella is there any specific timings I need to change in the Lenovo BIOS?

2. Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

I don't believe so.

When i booted up the lenovo all was sweet. I did not put a HDD and install an Operating system on it though as by that point my Asrock board had arrived and didn't want to fuck with it and reinstall again.

could you take a few pictures of the settings you have ? ( every page of the bios )

also the lenovo board, i read was a little picky upon which slots you used for the ram.

Have a look here, i hope this helps. Also remember, with so many memory modules, it's easy to get a 'bad mount' with one which can make the system unstable or not even post at all.

The Asrock boards i have were more tolerant than the lenovo for which slots you could populate in which order ( they would boot any combination as long as there was atleast one dimm slot filled per CPU fitted ) but the lenovo, while still a great board with USB 3.0 and an onboard sound card were a bit more finicky with ram.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

3. yanman

yanman Member

Cheers for that - though that's how I assumed I had to install it anyway :)

8 dimms, in slots 1,2,3,4 per CPU

The eBay seller advised me to try cleaning the contacts with an eraser and I'll see if memtest can narrow it down for me.

I guess there's still a chance the particular type of RAM i had doesn't like the board timings. I might go check them in a sec

4. Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

Don't clean contacts with a rubber...

use tissue and methylated spirits. or Isoprol rubbing alcohol.

5. Peromaniac

Peromaniac Member

Yup! ^

Go down to Bunnings and grab a small bottle of isopropyl alcohol and use a q-tip to clean the contacts.

6. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

What makes you think it's ram? The whole point of ECC ram is catch and correct errors on the fly so you don't even notice it. And when you do memtest you should turn off ECC otherwise it's working against you.

7. yanman

yanman Member

Well I thought it's prob RAM since it only crashed the application.

So.. would memtest be different to Prime95 in terms of ECC recovery? That might explain why I can't reproduce it in memtest.

Memtest showed up nothing despite running all day.

Just fired up Prime95 64bit in WinPE10 and same result (eventually) - a crash.

Now I wonder whether it's RAM temperature? I've never had issues with RAM overheating before, but I notice that using one of the hardware monitor tools on this WinPE10 distro it says one bank is currently 80C (while Prime'ing)

That's pretty high no?

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 30, 2016
  8. Icepic2005

Icepic2005 Member

Rampage has dual bios. try the other bios.
    You could check to see that the LN2 switch isnt on...

9. OP
    OP
    sonicthemouse

sonicthemouse Member

Yeah could defs be RAM overheating.

I had the exact same problem in my dual 771 setup.

I had 4x 4gb FBDIMM sticks with 4 slots free between the populates slots and no issues at all.

Upgraded to 8x4 gb sticks, and no space between the RAM sticks, and had those crashes in Prime95 and Intel Burn Test.

Tried each 4x4 gb set separately, no issues, was puzzled.

Eventually I had a look at the RAM temps and they were insanely high - apparently FBDIMM needs active cooling :lol:

Stuck a 120mm fan blowing air down onto all 8 sticks, hey presto, all issues fixed :D

10. xtreme2k

xtreme2k Member

HWinfo64 can monitor the individual DIMM temp, this might be useful to isolate the problem.

Also might try another version of Prime95. Latest is 28.9 I believe.

11. yanman

yanman Member

Yep HWinfo64 is the app built into the WinPE distro (which is f**king awesome btw.. if anyone wants it search for WinPE 10 Sergei Strelec)

Prime95 is the latest version (i downloaded that with the included Opera browser, and extracted it to the USB stick :p

CoreTemp i had to install (to a RAMdrive)

On fans... seems the board has 5-pin connectors for "Memory fans".. finally managed to track down some adapters though they're for Dell:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pcs-5-Pin-...in-Fan-Adapter-Convertion-Cable-/262168722037

Last edited: May 30, 2016
  12. Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

watercool the ram :D

13. yanman

yanman Member

lol...

I ran the "In-Place large FTT's" test - the max power one although strangely enough it didn't raise the CPU temp as high as earlier... maybe was just the room temp or the thermal paste settling in better? :p

ANnyway that test ran all night with no issues so I assume it must be the RAM. Once it's in a case instead of on the table the air-flow should be better no?

Also - I'm not convinced those DIMM temps are real - they didn't move from 80C even when the machine was idle.. surely that can't be right.

14. Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

touch a ram chip, if you can get your pinky between 2 dimms you will see they do get warm. maybe you've got a bad stick of ram that's a hot one ?

15. yanman

yanman Member

Oh yeh.. the whole bank in front of the U12S was hot to touch in that high mem stress test.

Notice the Lenovo boards have some extra 5-pin fan connectors for memory fans? :p I'm going to try and use those with some home-made cables

16. partybear

partybear Member

Hey what do you guys think a gigabyte ga-x79-ud3 would be worth second hand assuming it works with these cpus?

17. Peromaniac

Peromaniac Member

Is that the 4 slot (ram) one?

If so maybe $160-200 given current prices.

18. rainwulf

rainwulf Member

These things dont really have anything on a i7-4930k apart from the 2 cores do they.

I have my 4930k at 4500mhz with 2400mhz ram.

19. yanman

yanman Member

20. hairy

hairy Member

drivers

one issue I'm having is network drivers for a setup I got from natex.
    I have tried heaps of drivers but none work ?
    has anyone got a link to the drivers they are using for windows 10 ?
    in b4 why are you running win 10 ? because the rig is using pryosim.