Construction Bricks Discussion - Lego, Lepin, Megablocks, Decool, etc

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by trop, Oct 20, 2016.

1. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

Might be of interest to some, I picked this guy up off Aliexpress a few months back to put together with my nephew. It's a Decool 599 GTB Fiorano, excuse the weird focus.

[​IMG]

As soon as you get your hands on the bits and pieces it's quite obviously a ripoff, but it's probably 90-95% accurate. It was missing 2-3 crucial parts (hinge parts) and there are a few fit issues - a couple of pistons get stuck and don't move as they should. Still more than good enough for kids (and me) after a wash.

Also picked up a Lepin Millenium Falcon, which was average and an X-Wing which was downright terrible. Both were Lepin's own designs and not 1:1 with lego's own.

2. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Lepin Mini Cooper Arrived today.

All the pieces seem to have left over marks from the molds and the transparent pieces are scratched to shit, They fit together better than most lego clones though.

I'll buy a few more sets for the kids to build with, but anything I want for myself, I'll pay the premium and get the Real Thing.

3. OP
    OP
    trop

trop Member

I finished this a couple weeks ago but I've been overseas and forgot to post it up before I left.

[​IMG]

Overall with the actual model, I'm really happy with it and don't think you could ask for better from a copy really. The stickers, instructions and figs could still use some work though.

Now that its up on display you can't tell its not the real thing and it matches in with my genuine sets perfectly imo.

[​IMG]

Just a heads up, Aliexpress has a sale on tomorrow. Have just been looking through and most of the bigger sets look to have $20-30 off. I'll be getting the Star Destroyer and Death Star II for sure.

Not surprised by the trans pieces being crappy, imo they would be the hardest to make. Can you post a pic of the mold marks on the bits?

4. daehenoc

daehenoc Member

Huh, that's very interesting - I'm literally just starting the build of the Lego version of this model! I can see a few differences just from this photo, but whatever :)

5. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

[​IMG]

Grey and Green pieces are Lepin.
    Red and black pieces are Lego.

In hindsight, it may just be that the mold marks in the Lego are being masked by the "lego" logo, whereas with the Lepin being smooth, it is much more pronounced.

6. OP
    OP
    trop

trop Member

Pretty noticeable when they are side by side like that, the Lego ones are barely noticeable these days.

7. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

I've been rationing the build out to the Kids over the past few days, I've been pretty impressed with it so far (apart from the aforementioned issues). I've ordered a few more sets on a slow boat from China that will be Xmas presents for the kids, but I'll stick with "the real thing" for Sets that Me and the Wife want :).

8. Sharpe

Sharpe Member

What do you use to light the bookcase?

9. OP
    OP
    trop

trop Member

I put the lighting together using LED strips in cut down alloy channels with a remote controlled transformer. Can set the brightness to different levels etc.

Can buy all the bits on eBay pretty cheap and made to suit any cupboard.

10. B.D.R

B.D.R Member

Well after reading this thread a while ago, I went ahead and ordered up quite a bit of star wars Lepin from aliexpress.

Mainly for the boy really, he wont care it doesn't say lego on the blocks:lol:

11. OP
    OP
    trop

trop Member

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  12. B.D.R

B.D.R Member

Just finished a Lepin X wing and a BELA Tie fighter.

They are both pretty good, actually excellent for this non Lego die hard:lol:

The Lepin kit seems a bit better blocks, and iu have a few more kits to go as well, this was my fisrt non genuine block kits, wont be my last it seems:leet:

13. broox

broox Member

can you buy packs of lego technic style cogs/gears/pully wheels? and other bits for just general building of random machines. not a 'model' kit. no brand preference

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  14. OP
    OP
    trop

trop Member

Bricklink would be your best bet to get them.

I'd go genuine Lego as from what I have seen the lepin etc technic bits and the gears/cogs especially aren't up to scratch on the quality.

15. broox

broox Member

Good to know, thanks.

Might just buy some more kits and build up the pieces that way then.

16. pelmen

pelmen Member

just ebay for "bulk lego" to find lego by the kilo of all sorts, its a cost effective way to build up a collection of parts for experimentation/play

17. Sharpe

Sharpe Member

How much is a reasonable price to pay for a 1kg bulk lego? How can you be sure that it's all quite clean, and genuine rather than dirty and/or non-lego?

18. daehenoc

daehenoc Member

Look for the prices of Completed auctions and compare. You can't trust that it's all clean, but wiping off the worst of the dirt/dust and chucking it into a laundry bag on a 15m quick wash will fix up any yuk - I've done this quite a few times and when it comes out of the machine it looks like new :)

In terms of being genuine, look for the word LEGO printed on the top of the stud (for any part that has studs), or if you receive it and it's not genuine, tell the seller that you want a refund/provide a negative review :D

19. OP
    OP
    trop

trop Member

$15-30/kg depending on what it consists of. Just basic bricks at the lower end, lots of unique parts or bulk lots containing completish sets at the higher end.

Try the facebook lego groups (lego buy sell swap australia, lego marketplace australia, etc) for picking up decent second hand sets / bulk lots

20. OP
    OP
    trop

trop Member

I have ordered the Lepin UCS Y-Wing and UCS Blockade Runner. Got notified it has shipped today via DHL so hopefully have them in the next week.