1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Construction Bricks Discussion - Lego, Lepin, Megablocks, Decool, etc

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by trop, Oct 20, 2016.

1. IncredibleBulk

IncredibleBulk Member

I took the plunge a while ago and bought the Decool Batman Tumbler but haven't been able to build it yet. Today I ordered the Decool Porsche 911 (in white) and the UCS Red 5 X-Wing

Was incredibly tempted to also get the UCS Millenium Falcon and Super Star Destroyer by Lepin but realised

1 - I have no room to store them currently
    2 - I already have too many sets to build

(I've also got a legit Lego Big Ben waiting to be built and stored)

2. OP
    OP
    trop

trop Member

Thats why I haven't gotten the lepin UCS falcon. No where to put something that big!!!

I also have a feeling that the falcon might get a rerelease next year with the han solo movie so I'll grab the genuine Lego version.

3. IncredibleBulk

IncredibleBulk Member

They could release another smaller version like the Force Awakens one though. Do they commonly re-release UCS versions?

I'll probably end up being the Lepin version once I complete my other sets

4. OP
    OP
    trop

trop Member

It's becoming common. The Red 5 xwing was a rerelease / minor update and the snowspeeder coming out in a couple months is aswell.

5. SamBoio

SamBoio Member

Yeah there have been several rumours that there will be another UCS Falcon coming out either this year or next. Of course nothing confirmed, but I wouldn't be surprised if we see other UCS sets being re-released to combat the Lepin clones. Most people do want genuine products but due to the age they are pretty much off limits to most people with the current prices.

6. IncredibleBulk

IncredibleBulk Member

Bingo... I'd much, much rather the authentic thing. But seeing the price of the UCS MF (if you can find it) is downright scary

7. IncredibleBulk

IncredibleBulk Member

So I started building my DeCool Batman Tumbler last night. Actually VERY impressed with the block quality... I expected them to be more "rubbery" but so far they all snap together very well

Not sure whether I should be sharing this... as it causes me too many issues.... but if you're a member of CashRewards, they are offering 10% cashback on all aliexpress orders

Must... stay.... off.... aliexpress haha

8. OP
    OP
    trop

trop Member

Finally got a bit of time the last couple days and I've built my Lepin UCS Y-Wing.

Click to view full size!

Really impressed by the quality of the blocks, its even better than it was on the SSD. Even the technic style bits are very good now and no missing pieces at all. Only bits which were a bit ordinary were the pipe- the quality is fine but they are obviously hand cut and were all different lengths, luckily all longer than needed so they could be trimmed to the right length.

The instructions and the stickers were a massive step up from the SSD set, print quality was actually pretty nice and very clear. Bit awkward telling between tan and yellow bricks but much better than before.

Found a massive benefit of Lepin too - the set was too long for my cabinet so I cut about 2cm from the back of the thrusters, wouldn't do that to a $1200 set ;)

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  9. Strange1

Strange1 Member

Bit of a thread necro but Lepin has been raided by police and shut down so I doubt there will be any more sets coming!

10. OP
    OP
    trop

trop Member

Lepin is only one of about 5 major knock off manufacturers, so I really doubt this will make any difference to knock off availability.

Also, that factory will be up & running under a different name within the next 5 minutes.

11. Strange1

Strange1 Member

Lepin were about the best quality AFAIK and their moulds were all seized as well.

12. OP
    OP
    trop

trop Member

Strange1 likes this.
  13. Strange1

Strange1 Member

Bahahahaa i'll see myself out.

14. OP
    OP
    trop

trop Member

Haha well played.

15. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

Anyone know if the Xiaomi blocks are compatible with Lego? Recently won a set from Gearbest and considering selling it off ifv it isn't compatible

Last edited: May 27, 2019