Constructive feedback on newly launched web project requested.

Discussion in 'Programming & Software Development' started by blued, Jan 24, 2018.

1. blued

blued Member

Hi all,

I've recently had some time off and wanted to get back into web development.
    During my time off I've been working on a web based project and today i made it live.

The site is pretty self explanatory (i hope), can be visited at http://www.giftsto.com.au and I'd love to get your feedback.

To be honest i made the site as i am hopeless with remembering occasions. I know that some social media platforms provide a similar service but not the same notification methods, not everyone may be on the platform you use nor as simple to use.

Let me know your thoughts. If you want to test the site and want me to delete all your data please contact me (either via the contact form on the site or PM me here).

Cheers.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  2. doug81

doug81 Member

Interesting idea - assuming you'll then monetise through targeted referrals to occasion-based gifts?

3. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

Maybe put SSL on your homepage as well

Maybe add some tooltips on the action buttons or labels above so users know what each does e.g. silent/edit/delete whatever.

Maybe add a datepicker rather than force dd-mm-yyyy

Otherwise cool site

[​IMG]

4. power

power Member

make an app as well.

5. OP
    OP
    blued

blued Member

Appreciate the feedback all.

Yeah, something like that. We wont provide any user data to third parties but in the future we may consider some subtle advertising.
    Appreciate the feedback.

Good idea. Ill add some tooltips for the first entry or for all entries with an option to turn off via account settings.
    A datepicker is on my roadmap for sure.

The site is responsive and works well on mobile devices. I might make an app in the future however.

6. power

power Member

millions more eyeballs on app stores, etc. your choice.

7. OP
    OP
    blued

blued Member

All done. Working on the datepicker too.

In addition to those changes I've also added more ability to change reminder frequency. For example, a person can now opt out from receiving reminders one month out, can choose to receive reminders the day of, etc.

Fair point. :thumbup:

8. w0ng

w0ng Member

G'day. Congrats on your site. If this is your first website, it's A LOT of of work.
    I like that your using bootstrap and jquery to keep things easy.
    Are you using any PHP framework? If not, it's worth learning. Check out https://laracasts.com/series/laravel-from-scratch-2017. It'll take at least 5-10 hours to sink in if you've done web dev before or 20-50 hrs if you haven't, but it's well worth it. Laracasts is unquestionably the best online resource for people learning a web framework for the first time or someone re-learning something from 10 years ago.

Some of the things typical of these frameworks are dealing with form validation and authentication before/after dealing with sqlite/mysql database stuff.

e.g. some of the important security things you can look into, which all standard database-driven websites have are (using a framework normally does all of these for you):

Authentication
    - Instead of a different subdomain (send.giftsto.com.au, send.giftsto.com.au/login.php, send.giftsto.com.au/login.php?logout=true), create the routes giftsto.com.au/home, giftsto.com.au/login, giftsto.com.au/logout
    - When a user is logged out and they go to /home or /logout, redirect them to /login
    - When a user is logged in and they go to / or /login, redirect them to /home

Validation
    Make sure all forms are validated in PHP. Javascript validation is mostly for UX and aesthetics, but backend comes first because JS can be changed easily e.g. in Google Chrome, I can easily easily ignore your JS validation by removing the
    Code:
    onsubmit=
    part of your
    Code:
    <form ...
    from the Elements tab, or from the Console tab I can just type
    Code:
    ValidateForm = () => true;
    and then I can type "NOTANEMAIL" in the email field and "1" for the password field.

Protecting from SQL Injection
    SQL injection is a fancy term for "people can do nasty stuff to your database from form fields or the URL because your sql queries are not escaped" (see: https://secure.php.net/manual/en/security.database.sql-injection.php)
    e.g. I'm guessing somewhere in your login.php, you probably have something like
    Code:
    "INSERT INTO users(email, password) VALUES (" . $_POST['email'] . ", " . $_POST['password'] . ")"
    because if I try to create a login with the email as "some@email.com, somepassword); SELECT * FROM users; --", in your PHP it will be executing:
    Code:
    "INSERT INTO users(email, password) VALUES (some@email.com, somepassword); SELECT * FROM users; --"
    it returns a 403, indicating the SELECT ran. Replace SELECT with DROP, UPDATE, or DELETE and we'll be in trouble.

9. OP
    OP
    blued

blued Member

Thanks mate. Appreciate the feedback greatly!

I'll look into using directories rather than pages as it does look neater at the very least :thumbup:

In terms of the security side of things there's more i can do that's for sure and I'll keep making changes in this regard.
    I wont go into too much detail outside of private message but there were some odd accounts created by you bypassing the client validation :Paranoid:

10. Alqemist

Alqemist Member

Add the reminder options when you create the event. I created 6 events and then had to edit each one to remove 1 month prior.

11. OP
    OP
    blued

blued Member

Thanks mate. You can untick the box at the bottom of the "Add" screen to adjust the reminder times and methods. Would you prefer that to be visible all the time like in the edit screen?

12. Alqemist

Alqemist Member

Yep I think that would be more intuitive.

13. OP
    OP
    blued

blued Member

All done.

14. Alqemist

Alqemist Member

Site is down?