1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Consumer rights and GPU coil whine

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by jeffreyw, Sep 26, 2014.

1. starkers92

starkers92 Member

I had a gigabyte 670 with coil whine, but it settled after a fortnight.

Had an 280x with coil whine too, and found that a dab of nail polish on the inductors quietened it a notch..

2. WJR

WJR (Banned or Deleted)

I bought a 7950 that squealed like a pig but I took it back to MSY and they replaced it on the spot after listening to it for all of 5 seconds. Even the manager thought it was the most annoying POS ever. :D

3. OP
    OP
    jeffreyw

jeffreyw Member

Just want to do an update on my RMA. I sent it back on the 26/09/14 and still haven't got a response. I called them right now and they claim its taking so long because Gigabyte has not responded. They tell me they will contact me after they get a response from Gigabyte.

I have no idea how CPL or Gigabyte's RMA process works but I have never had a RMA last more than a month.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  4. terroristone

terroristone Member

RMA's take forever with CPL. Good luck....

5. AEKaBeer

AEKaBeer Member

It's one of the reasons I've stopped buying from them despite only being 5 minutes walk from work. Their prices are pretty good but I'll take an the extra 10 minutes to walk to MSY or order online from scorptec or pccasegear, I've never had an issue returning/replacing anything from those 3.

6. KriiV

KriiV Member

Those types of stores never go above and beyond. They don't seem to see a reason to keep customers happy, despite obviously reputation being hurt by online forums and such.

CPL, MSY... good lord.

:thumbdn:

7. OP
    OP
    jeffreyw

jeffreyw Member

Thanks for this. I asked the lady for the service number they would have got from Gigabyte. She tells me that she isn't from the warranty department, the warranty staff are away, and that CPL Notting Hill (?) will give me an email response about my RMA.

Around two to three business days later and CPL Notting Hill is shipping my card back to the North Melbourne branch. I have no clue whether Gigabyte has replaced the card, provided a new card (so I can get store credit), or rejected the claim since its Melbourne Cup day.

Since they never provided the Gigabyte service number, I'm cynically expecting to get screwed over. Either way, I'm asking for the service number of the warranty claim because 6 weeks RMA of a one day old item is downright unacceptable.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  8. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

One of the reasons I like EVGA, under 14 business days from the day I start the RMA, post, get replacement back.

9. Paulie_AU

Paulie_AU Member

PM dinos22 if you are getting jerked around once the shops open tomorrow. He works for Gigabyte, and could likely chase up a number for you.

10. OP
    OP
    jeffreyw

jeffreyw Member

I got the card back and they tell me no fault. One day old item, six goddamn weeks of RMA, got absolutely nothin out of it. The sales person didn't bother to say sorry for the delay, only that "it's normal". As far as I know, it isn't normal if you care as Scorptec has taught me.

No surprise no one at Gigabyte is on the phone. Time to see why it took so goddamn long to reject a warranty claim. Is it Gigabyte running a skeleton crew or CPL being worse than unhelpful.

Lesson of the day: buy from Scorptec or grey import. B&H and Amazon would not only offer a better price but far better warranty service. I bought this card in Australia for local warranty yet B&H out in New York, USA would have handled my warranty claim in a week no questions asked. They would have apologized about the fault instead of effectively telling me that I was OCD as well.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
  11. IPfreely

IPfreely Member

damn... that's a pretty disappointing outcome. I just clicked buy on an EVGA 970 from Amazon after reading your story.