[Contest] Win a Synology DS413!

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by laneys, Jan 9, 2013.

1. laneys

laneys Member

OCAU members, Synology has launched the public beta of DSM 4.2!

[​IMG]

To celebrate DSM 4.2, we’re going to give two lucky members a chance to try out our award-winning DS413 and share their thoughts here in the forums. You’ll also get the DS413 to keep as a thank you.

To enter the contest, please reply to this thread and tell us (in 150 words or less) your favorite feature in DSM 4.2 and why you love it. We’ll close off submissions on Saturday, January 19th at 11.59pm (AEST).

Visit www.synology.com/dsm/dsm4.2_beta.php for more information about DSM 4.2 beta. Good luck everyone!

This contest has closed. A BIG thank you to all the participants! Winners will be announced on Thursday, January 24th, and stay tuned for our next OCAU Contest!

Rules and restrictions:
    1. If you’re chosen as the winner, you agree to do a mini review on DS413 running DSM 4.2 beta, and post it in OCAU forums 3 weeks after you receive the DS413.
    2. Hard drives will not be provided in the DS413.
    3. One entry per member — multiple comments from the same user will not count as multiple entries.
    4. Only AU residents are eligible to win.
    5. Synology reserves the right to change the rules at any time.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  2. pksw

pksw Member

Great idea for a competition - The feature in DSM 4.2 that will be most useful to me personally is the Photo Station Uploader, and easy interface to drag and drop photos.

With family spread out over the country, it's a great way to share photos of the kids over the internet, and wife friendly as well.

Support from Synology is very good - I own a QNAP, and end user support/firmware upgrades has been frustrating many users, with many of us ready to upgrade to Synology.

Also have several spare 4tb drives ready for deployment - would be very handy for review purposes :)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  3. Carcin0Genic

Carcin0Genic Member

Is this contest specifically for OCAU members?

4. OP
    OP
    laneys

laneys Member

Hi Carcin0Genic,

Yes, only OCAU members will win the prize.

5. Munity

Munity Member

My fav. feature would be Cloud sync can now be used with LDAP/AD Accounts, as a re seller to small/med business clients that frequently use NAS devices, this feature would be great to backup local computers and devices, there is also a lot of promising features for small business customers that can use this to replace their in house server (eg. Mail Server, Web Server, DNS Server).

Its always handy to have a AV client too, when your running Download Station so make sure your not downloading anything unsavory :)

And on a personal level the airplay features look impressive, love to see how it works.

6. Speedster20

Speedster20 Member

My favourite feature is the NIC that will connect it to my network (hint hint) ;)

Seriously...

My favourite feature is the virtualisation support. It makes a Synology another option for small test environments. With VAAI support, the time it takes to make copies of virtual machines for testing is greatly reduced, and allows whoever is making a copy to do their testing quickly and get on with something else.

7. ktmrida

ktmrida Member

My fav feature would have to be the cloud support, being able o easily access anything from any device I have on the go would really do away with me having to rely on Dropbox etc, my data on my hardware - I like it

8. cruro02

cruro02 Member

I think my favourite feature is the Mobile capability "Instant Access to All that You Need, Without Port Forwarding" - I travel a lot for work and being able to access what I need, when I need it would be invaluable...

9. Zedd02

Zedd02 Member

How do you possibly pick a favourite feature? LUN Clone and Snapshot would be near the top, but so too would be AirPlay. DNS + PXE + RADIUS is also pretty awesome, but that doesn't narrow the field at all.

But, through all this, I won't be entering as I cannot afford the price of HDDs to give this box the review it deserves.

10. mrthong

mrthong Member

my favorite feature is the your download management, this allows me to download at night during my net's offpeak hours, with a low cost energy consumption compared to my main gaming pc also it downloads straight to the the NAS allowing me to view the downloads from my comp or ipad or iphone or ps3 or laptop.

i love synology <3

11. imek

imek Member

Just something simple, but the new applications especially the Glaicer backup are what me interest me the most at the moment, as I would like a simple and effective way to backup data from multiple computers without spending a large amount of money.

12. Skitza

Skitza Member

If done right, the Cloud Sync feature will transform these units into a great personal on the fly cloud solution for people who don't want their data in the control of a 3rd party and subject to their rules/laws.

13. ekwipt

ekwipt Member

DS Audio sounds amazing! i'll be glad when i can do away with my clunky stereo and just have everything streamed wirelessly around the home.

14. Kosti

Kosti Member

Great Idea!

Nice Contest!

Here Goes..

My favorite feature of the Synology DS413 would not be limited to just one but the fact the its power via a Dual Core Platform with Smart Energy Management which has Flexible Storage Management with a one-click Internet setup and a cost free DDNS service for a Complete Backup Solutions via Synology DiskStation Manager using Synology Hybrid RAID (SHR) and easy setup Web Assistant to provide Peace of Mind Data Encryption and how Energy Efficient, Cool and Quiet using only 35.62 watts power consumption when in operation plus the suite of apps for users to install them freely and instantly!!

How can I not love all of these features this flexible and multi-functional NAS System delivers.

Just in time too when i want to dump my QNAP TS-439 pro :thumbup:

Does it come in Yellow? :leet:

15. trasher

trasher Member

Since you said feature, singular, I've looked over the new features and while there are plenty of exciting ones, the winner for me is 'Single Page of Files -- You can now browse up to 1000 files on one single page.' This has been one of the few things that has bothered me; when copying folders with large amounts of files it has been a pain with the current limit. It will mean much fewer pages to 'copy to' new locations.

Cheers, I'm really excited about this release!

16. zoomzoom83

zoomzoom83 Member

My favourite feature is all the mobile support, whether it is instantaneous backup of photos, video streaming, download management or remote control, giving full control from my mobile phone, will give me ultimate flexibility wherever i am in the world

17. Punster

Punster Member

Nice competition, just bought a Synology DS413 with 3x 3TB WD Red's, to replace my DS209 (still working great).

18. g12345567

g12345567 Member

One feature I like is the Multimedia capabilities. Being able to backup and store all my photos, videos and music in one convenient place and share them to all the various devices on the network, without having to individually copy the media to an external usb device or dvd and play to play on each device.

19. TaroT

TaroT Member

With everyone having tablets smart phones and being out of the office this sort of thing is a brilliant idea.
    With all the data available and 4G i can see this taking off very quickly...bye bye ipuke

20. Sciby

Sciby How long have you had these droids?

I'm impressed most by the breadth of services at a much lower price point than all the higher end players. It gives small-medium businesses a decent entry point into the world of enterprise IT, with directory services and Radius. The storage management features - plus reporting - will make the life easier of the IT admin as well.

In fact, that's my favourite feature - it'll let the IT admin look pretty damn good to management, while the folks in finance won't pitch a fit over the purchases.