1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

[Contest] Win a Synology DS413!

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by laneys, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Murton

Murton Member

My favorite feature in DSM 4.2 would be QuickConnect. The ability to setup a share accessible online and on mobile without having to setup a port forward or VPN will makes getting content from my storage at home much easier, where ever I am, either on site or visiting relatives.

2. arasta

arasta Member

I am a few-months old tablet user, having finally caved and bought myself a Nexus 7. The thing about it though.... 16 GB storage, and no hardware expansion. I have easily 20 GB in just my music collection (lots of DJ sets) and I shudder to think of shuffling about my movie collection to and from my tablet(probably a good way of prematurely killing the flash storage)... So the mobile features alone get my interest very quickly, let alone the rest. If it performs as advertised for streaming video and music it will be an excellent addition to my menagerie - and its Synology, so I'll have no qualms about the quality of the unit. What's not to like?

3. Kodaz

Kodaz Member

As virtualisation plays a bigger and bigger part in business networks having a cost effective lab setup allows future technology users to become increasing comfortable and knowledgeable with how virtualisation operates. Being able to setup cost effective lab systems that replicate the functions of much more expensive SAN setups as close as possible allows you to become familiar with vMotion, HA and other advanced virtualisation features.

Having an iSCSI SAN that can present LUN’s to host in a very cost effective NAS is fantastic, but Synology’s latest release of Diskstation Manager, DSM4.2, enables you to do LUN snapshotting. This makes setting up and running a lab environment so much easier as you can make and roll back snapshots of machines quickly and easily. You can try out settings, break and restore back to where you were in a matter of handful of clicks and a few minutes.

I can’t wait!

4. Falcon2k

Falcon2k Member

My favourite feature of the 4.2 update is the QuickConnect service.

As a feature, it opens up the possibilities of a NAS box for the average person, not just IT Professionals. With the NBN rolling out to most Australians in the next decade, this paves the way for a seamless access transition between your home and being out and about, still having everything at your fingertips, whether it be at home on your personal computer, or on public transport on your smartphone or tablet, it makes no difference. Best of all, it’s all plug and play, no need to be rooting around in your router’s configuration screens.

QuickConnect is also a continuation and evolution of similar technologies built into the previous versions of DSM. It shows Synology’s commitment to the consumer market, making it easier for everyone to access the full potential of NAS.

5. crepuscular

crepuscular Member

A lot of great features there, multimedia streaming, file downloading, etc. But the feature that really stood out for me is Cloud Station, allowing users to have their own cloud servers.

This would be a killer feature for me if it works as it says. The year that I lived in Japan, I had to constantly keep multiple copies of my photos wherever I go. The dual SD cards were always running in mirrored, one 1TB drive and MacBook were always in my backpack. If there’s internet, I would also backup onto flickr. It’s a good service for sharing photos, but not really a service for backup because I always keep unprocessed and processed copies.

Then the painful part of syncing the processed photos onto iPad; lightroom exports to iPhoto is a pain, free cloud sync services doesn’t have much storage, but this looks like will solve all my problems.

6. evilspider

evilspider Member

Favorite Feature of DSM 4.2

A little while back I spent a LOT of time and effort researching all the NAS products available on the market. I also took recommendations from friends into account and eventually chose the best-of-breed Synology NAS. It came highly recommended by friends and review sites alike and I quickly discovered why. Synology wasn't the cheapest NAS vendor out there but I am reminded every day why the purchase was worth every cent.

Version 4.2 of DSM is even faster for data transfers, simplifies volume management and data warehousing and works even better with virtualization technologies like VMware. This new release looks to prove my decision to buy a Synology NAS was even smarter than it already was.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  7. Davo1111

Davo1111 Member

Would be interested in the integrated syncing with mobile devices. Have been using owncloud with limited success and stability issues. Looks like DSM has what i'm looking for.

8. ljw1

ljw1 Member

My favourite feature of the new DSM 4.2 would have to be the Airplay server! Running a household full of disparate media players mean that with DSM 4.2 my NAS can serve up media where ever I go around the house and even across the internet. I would love to test out the enterprise features and compare against my current NAS arrangement (Solaris 11, FreeNAS and FritzBox).

9. digian

digian Member

My favorite feature is seeing the VAAI for Virtualization. That is the same as we are seeing in some enterprise san hardware. Nice work Synology.

10. Benchamp

Benchamp Member

We're heavy users of the QNAP gear here at work (use TS-439 Pro II's for work group deployment), and looks like there is a lot of crossover in features to the Synology gear along with some interesting stuff your doing which they don't.

My favorite feature of DSM 4.2 which would definitely be useful here at work is the 2 factor authentication support (2 step verification), this would definitely be a win for us with remote users as much of our remote access even for simple file access is unnecessarily complex due to a business requirement for this level of security...nice work!

11. nodabs

nodabs Member

My favourite feature would have to be interoperability. With a house full of devices from desktops to home theatre to mobile, streaming media to any platform is invaluable. Doing this in a way that makes it easy for all the members of the house be it airplay or browser video streaming saves explaining how to play the latest episode of project runway, again...

12. BMan2

BMan2 Member

As the user of a fairly old WMC box that doesn't like playing nice with some file formats - the Airplay and streaming support is what does it for me - as well as being able to offload the transcode off my power hungry main boxes. These are awesome units and I'd recommend to anyone.

13. LostBenji

LostBenji Member

A bit of a hamstrung contest with loaded question being asked.

To be able to answer this question honestly, people have to already own a Synology NAS supported by the software to really comment. I can't even tell exactly what it is for as the website lacks info to clearly state what exactly it is.....

The terms are also in the crap bucket, wouldn't be surprised if there were many who haven't read them.
    Just my 2 cents worth.

14. Elfanger

Elfanger (Banned or Deleted)

My favorite feature is definately the cloud support. I like having access to all my important files from any location. The fact that all my important files are stored on my own NAS minimises the risk that someone else will get access to my data.

I.e. I do not put any sensitive information onto dropbox as I do not know where my files could end up.

Thanks.

15. Davo1111

Davo1111 Member

pretty standard on any competition, ever

16. Pik0

Pik0 Member

I've always struggled with backups of photos and keeping them sorted. Photo Station sounds like it could be an answer. Rather than just putting them in a file structure that gets lost between different people loading up files in wrong folders this could be a godsend and stop me duplicating pictures of all the holidays!

17. Scoobth

Scoobth Member

I love the idea of being able to move all of my backed up multimedia data from my main system into a low powered high performance unit.
    -This will help me provide 24/7 access of the files to everyone in my house.
    -Automated backups of important documents and photos
    -Stream media to our home cinema
    -Saving me time and money using many of the inbuilt automation features

18. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

Favourite feature ontop of everything else would probably be the cloud station, folder syncing is something I use with dropbox/skydrive regularly and it'd be fantastic to have something that'll allow me to sync files to a physical backup.

19. tobes

tobes Member

My favourite feature is VideoStation which allows me to stream videos to my TV. It's totally awesome!

P.S. I really need a new Synology as my DS211j is filling up fast and I want more redundancy in my backups!

20. MnM

MnM (Banned or Deleted)

VAAI for Virtualization is my favourite feature. Synology shows that they can have enterprise like features for the masses!