1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

Convert video to smaller resolution?

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by benjagan91, Apr 28, 2017.

1. benjagan91

benjagan91 Member

Good afternoon.

Firstly I apologise if I'm posting this in the incorrect subforum.

Just chasing some advise on easy methods to convert some video (eg. home video, movies etc.) to a lower resolution/bitrate so it plays on older computers around the home? Played locally (not over the network) some of the older computers (Pentium 4 laptop etc.) can't playback the HD video (even 720p in some instances!).

Being mainly old laptops for the kids, I can't just throw in a cheap dedicated card for decoding and I don't really want to transcode on the fly over the network from something with some CPU/GPU horsepower (slow network).

Thank You.

2. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

3. DarkYendor

DarkYendor Member

At home I have my server do the transcoding on the fly, so I only store the 1080p/720p video, and transcode as needed. Most of the clients (Phone/Tablet/Apple TV) are on 802.11n, and even stream 1080p I've never had an issue.

If you want to reencode, I think I used to use FFMPEG, Handbreak, or RedKawa depending on the device I wanted to encode for.

4. OP
    OP
    benjagan91

benjagan91 Member

Thanks for the quick response. At a glance that looks like it'll do the trick! Do I need to install the codecs for it seperately?

Sorry I took forever to type out my response and missed yours (phone calls @ work distracting me from important things: OCAU). Thanks for the suggestions :)

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  5. OP
    OP
    benjagan91

benjagan91 Member

Good Morning.

I tried handbrake over the weekend. The first attempt I did was convert a 720p MP4 into a 360P MPEG2. It took overnight to convert but it worked (looked terrible of course).

I then tried a second conversion to MPEG2 while retaining the source file 720P resolution. This looked much better and converted about 100 times faster!

The old computer I've converted and tested this on can now playback the video without dropping frames. The system is averaging 80-90% cpu usage because the old Radeon Mobility 7500 isn't assisting with the MPEG2 decoding. The RV200 core should support ATi's 'Video Immersion' MPEG2 decoding but maybe VLC isn't compatible or more likly 'Video Immersion' doesn't support assisted decoding of HD video resolution. PowerDVD is more likely to work if it's simply VLC's compatibility. I'll have to read more into this.

Anyway handbrake is a success. Thanks for the help :)

6. power

power Member

I'd be making the PC's capable myself and using an appropriate player in concert with this update.

Any modern GPU (reeeeeally basic nvidia $40 jobbies) can do the business, combine with something like MPC or VLC.

won't help the laptop though I guess. eh, $100 used laptop would probably go a long way to remedying that though.

7. OP
    OP
    benjagan91

benjagan91 Member

I do agree and it's on my list of things to do. This is a temporary solution until vehicles are serviced etc :thumbup: