1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Converting old home videos to digital

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by aussie-revhead, Aug 23, 2021.

1. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Guys, I have a bunch of old home videos on compact cassette that I want to save to digital format for safe keeping and easy viewing etc so what is the best way to do it? I bought a USB capture gadget off eBay but it doesn't seem to work so I'm going to try again. What do you guys recommend? I saw some gadgets on eBay that save the videos to digital file without a PC, I have computers galore so this isn't a problem but is there an advantage to this kind of conversion ? I also saw another dude here asking a similar question and he was using a VCR for better output quality, is this correct? I was going to save directly from the camera due to small tape format but if the end result is better off VCR then I can get a cassette adaptor. I know my camera probably only recorded at 640 X 480 and it looks kinda crap on a big tv but the memories are priceless.

Will I get a better result with a pcie capture card? Or will the low quality original keep it relatively crap anyway?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

:)

2. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Are you looking to do it yourself or happy to pay someone else to do it for you? I think there are a couple of people on OCAU who can do it if my memory serves me correctly. But I can recommend a business that will do it for you (tapes to video format and put on usb), they were fantastic doing my conversion of 6 tapes.....the price was very good, they did the job quickly and all originals and final usb's were well packed and returned to me.

https://www.videotodvdmelbourne.com.au/

I wanted to do it myself originally but found it all got to hard it in obtaining all the equipment at cost, and no guarantee of success. Thought it was easier to just pay someone to do it.

3. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

4. OP
    OP
    aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

The thing is I already saved these to my Nas with a USB gadget but the Nas was failing, so I rescued the videos to another HDD and now that is a clicky dead lump.

So I had no trouble saving it last time just my new USB device doesn't do anything ....

:)

Last edited: Dec 16, 2021
  5. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

I used to film weddings for clients on weekends many many years ago when HD format was relatively new, and as part of that business i also did a lot of Beta/VHS conversions as well for clients from all over Australia, most of the work came from couples who had their own weddings filmed in Beta or VHS format years before, and they wanted them converted to digital, and edited professionally.

My very first job was to convert our own 1990 wedding video from Betacam tape to Digital, as our wedding was professionally filmed by a cameraman and sound recordist from channel 10 in Sydney where i was working at the time.

Back in those days it was a bit of an art form, and relatively new, but it required some decent hardware to do it properly, as there are many things that could go wrong, and image stabilization was one of the biggest issues with tape.

If you are only wanting it done once then find someone (a professional) to do it for you and pay them, because buying the right hardware will cost you, plus you then need capture and editing software and a decent computer as well.

You can buy one of those stupid little cheap capture devices from Ebay or wherever, but you will not get a good result, but it all depends on how much you treasure your old video.

EDIT: i forgot to add that if you want to know anything regarding this process, take a look at the following link, it is provided by a company in USA who offer digital media conversions, and they also have a Forum full of very well qualified members who can help.

http://www.digitalfaq.com/services/video-conversion-tape-to-dvd.htm

I recall several years ago sending this mob 3 tapes that i was not able to convert because of several issues with the old VHS tapes, i got them back after 3 weeks and the resulting h264 files were stunning compared to the original.

The best way to do all this is to use various bits of hardware to transfer the video to the computer, and using various types of software to do all of the enhancements and correction work.

This is one Australia wide service that i know of, you could call them for a quote.

https://tapestodigital.com/tape-converting-services

Last edited: Dec 14, 2021