1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Coolant

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by occxlr8ed, Jan 21, 2021.

1. occxlr8ed

occxlr8ed Member

Hey all, building my WC setup for my 3080 and just have coolant left.

Previously I bought an already made system, and used distilled water with additives. Been running fine for 7 years with 0 maintenance and I've never drained it lol.

I was interested in EK Cryofuel solid white, but read that it can clog pumps and radiators??? Definitely would rather less maintenance and not wanting to clog anything.

What's the consensus? Stick to distilled water and additive?

2. argent

argent Member

Or Cryofuel Clear?

3. havabeer

havabeer Member

While not ek, i had issues after 2 years with a pastel coolant, clogged and stained everything.

4. jekel

jekel Member

I use EK Cryofuel clear concentrate mixed with DI water from Woolworths. Seems great no issues. Have just changed it after about a year as got new pump, cpu/gpu blocks as did some upgrading and everything looked the same.

5. radeon_freak

radeon_freak Member

Pretty sure it's well known most if not all pastels will eventually separate over time or become an off yuck colour of it's original self. Even EK recommends to replace it every year.

If you're the type to replace and swap components out on a regular basis then go with whatever but if you're looking for low mantenance then stick to distilled water or something colourless.

6. OP
    OP
    occxlr8ed

occxlr8ed Member

yep went Mayhems clear

7. jekel

jekel Member

Have you put it in yet? Let me know how you go.

After saying I had no issues. I've just noticed in my new loop there is some white stuff floating around which I am assuming is from my Cryofuel clear (just in a new batch so bit disappointed) and loop was cleaned well. Looks the same as some posts I found via google.

I just bought Mayhems clear XT-1 Nuke to try today. Will take apart loop for a clean on the weekend to see how this goes.

8. OP
    OP
    occxlr8ed

occxlr8ed Member

Still waiting for it to arrive from PLE (or should i say AusPost)! Hopefully here Monday.

9. Watchamacallit

Watchamacallit Member

My EK Cryofuel also turned whitish to start with but it cleared quickly as per other google posts. Guess it's got to do something with air in the loop to start with when filling.

I'd be curious on the Mayhems as I heard it's more glycol based?

10. aeries

aeries Member

I'm on just distilled water - I've actually been using the same water from six years ago. No discolouration :)

11. jekel

jekel Member

So this morning I drained and flushed loop with a heap of demineralised water. Cleaned out inside of reservour, cpu and gpu blocks.

No noticeable build up in my cpu block but in the gpu block/reservoir it was obvious....came off easy though, pretty much just had to wipe it off.

Pretty sure my suspicion of something wrong with my EK Cryofuel was right. It was causing kind of a white powdery looking build up (only just put in fresh Cryofuel mix a week ago and loop was cleaned/flushed beforehand). The following was a reddit user complaining of the same thing that looked the same as my issue, pic is his from reddit: https://imgur.com/a/3UJI2

I've put in the Mayhems clear XT-1 Nuke with demineralised water and everything is crystal clear I am only seeing air bubbles which is normal. Wonder if I just got a bad batch of Cryofuel? No idea but I am going to stick to Mayhems now as don't want to clean my loop again any time soon...

12. @sia@home

@sia@home Member

I think least problems is with periodic replacement. I don't even bother with demineralised water anymore. I just use filtered water (ie for home drinking) that has been through a sediment filter and a carbon filter. If I didn't have that I would buy demineralised water.

Something like an EK CPU block, disassemble and clean every 1-2 years with a toothbrush. Replace the water the day after adding anything new into your loop (ie new GPU block).

13. radeon_freak

radeon_freak Member

Are you using PETG/Acrylic or soft tube? It's not plasticizer is it?

14. jekel

jekel Member

Nope using zmt no plastisizer.

15. Watchamacallit

Watchamacallit Member

Hmm, I haven't been able to check my gpu block but checked my filling res and it had a slight film on it but nothing like that post.

Now got me wondering whether I have to tear my loopp down now and do a clean, though my iceman res has no film and coolant clear.

16. jekel

jekel Member

lol yeh its annoying thinking loops getting clogged slowly/something wrong. Checked everything again this morning and topped up res no issues on mine now and strangely my temps are a bit better and I can run 5.3ghz all core stable now. Previously it was a bit unstable so kept my 10900KF at 5.2.

Anyway no more stuffing around with my loop working perfect and hope to not have to do anything for at least the next year :)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
  17. Watchamacallit

Watchamacallit Member

Actually I stand corrected as I just checked my res and looks like I have something similar?
    https://imgur.com/a/v3ELTlT

Did move the liquid to see if it was internal and it mixed back into the coolant.

Opinions? Doubt it's corrosion or growth of any sort considering how it's only been running a month.

18. jekel

jekel Member

On my phone but kinda looks like what I had. No idea what it is but no more using cryofuel for me lol

19. Watchamacallit

Watchamacallit Member

Guessing I might as well keep running it for the moment, it seems to just be visual (though I can't check my GPU without a full tear down of my PC). People theorise it's the coolant reacting with flux? Did read people have issues completely cleaning HWLabs based radiators which can explain my situation but not yours (which noob watercooling mindset has some concern).

Feeling now that instead of a flush/refill later I now need to do a full teardown...ugh even though it seems to just be a wipe job, still block dissambly/reassembly - more work than I initially planned. Guess if I finally take this thing on a plane I'll have to plan days in advance or after for a full clean...

Will join you on the boycott EK train.

20. kill_a_wat

kill_a_wat Member

I just filled my loop with using EK Cryofuel Clear premix. I read that some people have issues with the solid variants. Alternative I was looking at was also Corsair XL5 (made by Mayhem I believe) or distilled with Mayhem concentrate