1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

Coolant

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by occxlr8ed, Jan 21, 2021.

1. roony

roony Member

Been using distilled for the last 5 years, no issues. New build, reused WC parts for a temp loop. Tried EK mystic fog (concentrate) and it turned clear in about 3 weeks.

2. OP
    OP
    occxlr8ed

occxlr8ed Member

Ended up with Corsair XL8 clear (stock issues), running great

3. mixsetup

mixsetup Member

I just bought some EK Clear premix. Bought some others as well incase I decide to use them. I have used Mayhems Blitz kit to clean my loop then run distilled water after to clean out after I used Blood red, worked great.

4. The Beast

The Beast Member

I've used all sorts, here are my thoughts:

Tap water: fine for short term use and testing. I still flush with distilled after testing just to get most of the minerals out.
    Distilled water: great for long term use, honestly I ran this stuff from Super Cheap Auto for two years and never had a problem.
    Pastels: Avoid. I ran a Mayhems blue pastel and some of my gear still has traces of it.
    EK Cryofuel (transperant!) pre-mix: Very good. I've run the Navy Blue for sometime now and not only doesn't it stain or clog components, but it stays so clear I've drained it rebuilt and re-used it.

5. woja

woja Member

Sorry to jump on to this thread but approximately how much coolant you reckon I'd need with a eisfach dual bay res pump, a Xt45 triple 180mm rad and cpu and gpu block? And do most people go for concentrates or premix?

6. roony

roony Member

I think the safer bet is to go with premix. Say the coolant goes bad, you can at least rule out the water you used for concentrate.

woja likes this.
  7. mixsetup

mixsetup Member

I used EK Blood red cryofuel no problems with the PETG tubing for 2 years. Just building my new system and I have EK Blood red, Mystic Fog and clear. Was just going to see what looks best hope I don't get any residue in mine.

woja likes this.
  8. mrjayviper

mrjayviper Member

I'm looking to use distilled water. Anything I need add?
    • Algecide? (Which one)
    • Silver coil? (Where do I put this? Inside reservoir?)
    Thanks

Edit: I believe there's no aluminium in the loop. Just a mix of brass, copper and nickel plated copper.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2021
  9. ging

ging Member

As stated above, I'd avoid any pastel coolant.

Don't use a silver coil if you're running nickel plated components, they don't play well with each other.
    Instead, a biocide / growth inhibitor such as Mayhems Biocide Extreme or EK Cryofuel clear concentrate should be added to the distilled water to prevent any growth in the loop.

I've been running EK Cryofuel Clear Concentrate mixed with Nulon Demineralised water for over 18 months with no issues (copper and nickel blocks, brass fittings, ZMT tubing), though jekel reported issues a few posts above, so maybe give Mayhems a try instead.

Thorough clean of all components before filling is highly recommended to reduce chances of issues down the track.
    That includes new components (ZMT tubing can be pretty dirty from the factory, as are radiators which are usually filled with flux).
    An hour or two of prep can save you the hassle of breaking down the loop and cleaning out gunk stuck in the blocks.

Good luck!

mrjayviper likes this.
  10. Mordenkainen

Mordenkainen Member

If there is nothing in the water or in the materials of the pipes/pump/res for algae to feed on then you won't get any growing in your system. It takes more than just light and water for it to grow.

11. shane41

shane41 Member

12. ashenIC

ashenIC Member

Demineralised water (by itself or) and engine coolant. Cycle your fluids periodically.

13. juzz86

juzz86 Member

Add this additive to store-bought Demineralised Water, and you'll get at least 12-months maintenance-free from my experience. Note it doesn't provide corrosion inhibition, so if you're mixing metals you may see some corrosion at fluid changeout. In my experience it took the plate off the inside of a CPU block, but it was a poor job initially anyway. Shane's table above is a good reference - the closer the values to each other the better.

For corrosion inhibition as well, run with the automotive coolant at recommended dilution. Can last for ages, plus bonus colours. If you're after clear, you've generally got to go the PC-brand pre-mix stuff, most auto stuff is coloured.