Cooler Master Hyper z600 + pics

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by Dodge M4S, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Dodge M4S

Dodge M4S Member

Ever since my bro installed his water cooling kit, ive been jealous of how quiet his computer was. I was going to go the water cooling route, but as i was browsing through a PC magazine, a picture of a massive heatsink caught my eye. The Cooler Master Hyper Z600

I read the review on it, and it seemed very good :) It can be run passively on lower wattage CPU's, and you can install fan/s on it if you have a CPU that is a little more power hungry.

The 120mm these days are pretty quite anyways so i dont see why you wouldn't want to install one or two just incase. I read some online reviews on this heatsink and they all had good things to say about it.

The only downside of Z600, is that its HUGE ( 127.28mm x 127.28mm x 160mm ) and heavy ( 1Kg ) but its only an inconvenience if you have a small computer case.

I hit up the shopbot site and done a search for it. No one in WA had this thing so i had to order it from a store in NSW that had it in stock for only $66 :D I ended up paying $11 shipping but still, very cheap for a heatsink that is dead silent even with fans.

Around a week after i ordered it, it finally arrived!. I ripped open the post bag and was amazed at how big the box is!

[​IMG]

On most of the online reviews i read about the z600, they spent a bit of time talking about how good the box was. I now know why. Its a very nice looking box and all of the text and pictures kind of protrude out off it. Its even got the words "CPU cooler" written in about 9000 different languages lol

After tripping on the box for a bit, i opened it up and slid out the inner box that contained the heatsink and some other bits and pieces. The can of coke didn't come with it.

[​IMG]

I just sat it on my keyboard and just stared at it for a while thinking wtf did i just buy! Its bloody huge! I started to think it might not fit in my case and certain components on my motherboard might get in the way.

I dumped all the contents from the z600 box on my kitchen table to suss it all out. it contains a bag-o-bolts, fan brackets, mounting brackets for Intel LGA775 and AMD 940/AM2/AM2+ and a poster manual.

[​IMG]

now, to get this thing installed. First the heatsink has to prepared. I have a 6000+ CPU so the bracket with the 6 legs has to be used.

These little screws confused me for a bit. They just didnt want to screw in. I started to think that they made a mistake with the screws size or something. I had a read of the manual and noticed that they were reverse threaded.

[​IMG]

I bolted the bracket onto the heatsink with the supplied screws. I needed a smaller screw driver because the head of my main one was just to large. Easy, done. I placed the heatsink over my motherboard just to see how it would look and i noticed that the logo on the heatsink was on the wrong angle so i had to turn the bracket around. Glad i checked it. the logo being upside down would have really bothered me :D

[​IMG]

Next, these little washers go on. The sticky side goes face down over the screws and also on the middle legs even though there are no screws on them.

[​IMG]

OK,the heatsink side was done, now time to prepare the motherboard.

it took me a little time to figure out how to remove the stock heatsink bracket from the motherboard. All that I had to do, was get a flat head screw driver, and lift up the plugs. Once these were removed, the back plate just fell off.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It was now time to put it all together. i cleaned up my CPU and applied some Arctic Silver 5 ( forgot to take that pic :( )

[​IMG]

Bolting it all together was a little tricky but it turned out pretty good. I put the heatsink on the table upside down, and then guided the motherboard on the brackets screws. After i got it into possition, i had to get the back plate and place it on the motherboard. This bracket has a thick plastic sticker on it so it wont short out the motherboard if you are wondering.

After that was in position, i had to get the hex nuts ( comes with the z600 ) and hand tighten them with the provided socket peice. Then I used the screw driver to tighten it all up properly.

Im not sure how tight they have to be, but i tried to get it as tight as the stock heatsink was plus a little more since the heatink is 1kg.

[​IMG]

I flipped it over and was very happy to see that nothing was in the way of the heatsink. I was mainly worried about the RAM but there is plenty of space there :D

One thing I had to do before installing it in the case, was to connect the P4 motherboard connector. It sits right underneath the heatsink so it would be near impossible to install it while its in the case.

[​IMG]

Installing the fan is a sinche :D The heatsink comes with fan brackets that bolt onto the fans and then the fan clicks onto the heatsink.

The power connector for the fan was directly under the heat sink so i had to connect that up before installing the fan.

Placing the motherboard in the case was a little strange because most people are used to handling the motherboard by holding the heatink. I tried avoiding this because i didn't want to put to much strain on the motherboard and the brackets.

[​IMG]

I got my screws together and started bolting the motherboard down into the case and got stuck at this point. Because the heat sink is so big, i couldnt use my standard screwdriver so i had to hunt around for a longer one.

[​IMG]

I couldnt find one that was just a little bit longer so i had to settle for this overkill one lol

[​IMG]

One of the problems with having a heatsink this big, is that its hard to connect alll your stuff up. I had to remove my brand new 1tb hdd because for some stupid reason it was only being identified as 32mb ( yes mb lol )

I thought I needed to change a jumper but i later found out that I had to re do the MBR. Because the hdd is so close the to heatsink + big hands, i cut my hands up on the heatsink fins :( it hurt too.

[​IMG]

I turned on my PC and it gave me a loud constant beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep!!!. I turned it off because i got freaked out but then i remembered its because the stock CPU fan socket isnt being used so i had to turn the cpu fan warning off.

I was putting my side panels back on but found out that my panel with the massive fan wont go on because the fan hits the z600. I bolted it the other way so instead of protruding on the inside, its now on the outside. I also superglued the grill onto the fan because i accidentally hit the fan with my finger and it bloody hurt!

[​IMG]

I got into the BIOS and let it idle for around an hour and apparently the cpu temp was hovering around the 25 degree mark. I then installed windows and ran core temp at idle and then with 2 copies of cpu burn in at once for an hour.

[​IMG]

At around the half an hour mark, the cpu got to around 37 degrees. Im not sure if these readings are accurate or not though. If anyone has any suggestions on getting more legit readings please let me know :)

Either way, im happy with the Z600 :D

Sorry for the bad quality pics. I was going to put the higher res ones, but they wont look any better.

Hope you like :o

2. AussieTemplar

AussieTemplar Member

You should "try" overclocking the 6000+..

Looks good :thumbup:

EDIT: BTW, is that an HD2900XT or 3870?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  3. renel

renel (Banned or Deleted)

niice! :thumbup: now waiting for someone to do this sorta thread with a "TRUE" so i can compare the pair... :)

4. OP
    OP
    Dodge M4S

Dodge M4S Member

Yeah it is. Not the fastest card in the world, but i like it heaps. I don't play alot of games so its more than enough for me :D

its so loud though lol. I tried overclocking this cpu and it wont budge much :p Im more than happy with it though.

5. AussieTemplar

AussieTemplar Member

I've got one too man ;)

6. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I just cannot get over the size of that monster, truly impressive.

7. Bleemv1

Bleemv1 Member

love the fact that it's 1kg. 6 u shaped heatpipes too. Very impressive.

8. TheLobb

TheLobb (Banned or Deleted)

:weirdo::weirdo::weirdo:Wow nice :weirdo:

9. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

a couple of tips to improve performance.

put the fan on the other side and put your original case fan at the back back on to do a push pull effect.

also get some sticky tape and cover the gap between the fan and the X of the heatsink. that alone is good for 1-2C with low power fans.

10. OP
    OP
    Dodge M4S

Dodge M4S Member

Yeah im planning to cover the gap on the heatsink with some tape soon :thumbup:

If i can get another fan ill put one on the other side too. The big fan on the side and the front are mainly there to cool my chipset ( i disabled the fan because it was causing to much noise )

Thanks for the thumbs up guys :thumbup:

Another thing im thinking of doing, is buying ( or making ) an aftermarket cooler for my video card :)

quietness ftw :cool:

11. dr_deathy

dr_deathy Member

i hope thats thermal paste on that cap from you touching it, otherwise....

doesnt look like the caps are busting tho. but yeah.

12. shippuuden

shippuuden Member

anyone know how this would go on a q6600?

13. Dale-C

Dale-C Member

Is that a Gigabyte M57SLI-S4? If so, You can OC the 6000+ to 3.33Ghz Like I have :D

14. OP
    OP
    Dodge M4S

Dodge M4S Member

Its an m55. I overclocked it to 3.2 and it crashed while running 3dmark06. O well.

15. TMM

TMM Member

Long screwdriver is LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG!

16. Dale-C

Dale-C Member

Also Dodge, where did you get that chipset heatsink with the fan? Because I want one cos my heatsink gets sooo hot.

17. OP
    OP
    Dodge M4S

Dodge M4S Member

The heatsink is stock on this motherboard. The fan is an aftermarket one i bought from jaycar because the original fan was to loud. Unfortunately the aftermarket fan is just as loud.

I just disabled the chipset fan because the side panel fan does a good job of keeping it nice and cool.

Before it was sizzling to the touch and now its luke warm :)

18. Dale-C

Dale-C Member

Man the M55 has a fan but the M57/59 series don't!

19. Decky

Decky Member

You did not want to strain the bracket :shock: Man - that heat sink and the bracket (when connected) are 1000 time stiffer then the MB when loaded with 1kg of that monster.

But anyway - good work.

20. OP
    OP
    Dodge M4S

Dodge M4S Member

The heatsink base is connected to the heatsink via 5 - 6 cm heatpipes ( then they go all the way trhough the heatsink fins ). What i was meant to say was i didnt want to stress the heatpipes.

On a standard HSF its pretty much all one solid piece. Thanks for the comment :thumbup: