1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Coolermaster Elite 341

Discussion in 'Newbie Lounge' started by zzyss, Mar 28, 2020.

1. zzyss

zzyss Member

Hi guys. Long time lurker... been out of the game for so long I may as well be a newbie so here I am.

I've dug out an old PC... I imagine all of the internals will need replacing, but is it still possible to reuse the Coolermaster case? I believe it has a 420W power supply. Have the connectors all changed now and would I need to replace that too?

In other words, is this case worth keeping or just turf it and buy a new PC completely?

Would anyone still want it?

This is the exact model:
    https://www.pccasegear.com/products/14530/coolermaster-elite-341-matx

(FWIW it's got an ancient Core2Duo Intel processor, 4GB RAM and dunno the rest of the specs off the top of my head but probably only like 80GB hard disk or something.)

2. Narcoticx2

Narcoticx2 Member

Don't toss the internals, chuck them up in the retro sale forums.

The case can be re-used but the power supply might have deteriorated and thus reliability may be questionable. It could also be perfectly fine to use, but why risk new hardware?

So for the case you'll need to make sure your new motherboard is mATX or smaller. You'll likely be using an SSD so you'll need either a 3.5" to 2.5" adapter or just velcro it to the case somewhere. The case doesn't appear to have USB3 on the front panel, not a super big issue, you can either get a usb3 hub or just plug in to the back of the motherboard you get. You'll still be able to use the usb2 front ports by plugging in to a usb2 header on your motherboard. Finally, if you're planning on using AIO water coolers, you might need to get creative with where you mount things.

If it's worth keeping is up to you - newer cases are very nice but at the end of the day they are mainly to hold all your bits together.

3. OP
    OP
    zzyss

zzyss Member

Cheers, thanks for the advice. Didn't even know there was a retro forum haha.