Coolermaster Hyper 212+ Review

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by Flavzz, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Flavzz

Flavzz Member

Hey all, finally upgraded my stock heatsink to the above. Did a bit of research and upon recommendations decided on the 212+ mostly due to the mix of performance, price and availability at my local supplier.

Upon unboxing I was impressed with the quality and size of the product I had just purchased for only $33. I was expecting something much smaller and lighter for what I had paid for it. Its amazing that Coolermaster can produce such good quality gear for such low prices.

Installation was pretty straightforward with a backplate mounted and then secured by 4 screws. I was transferring all my gear to a new case so the fact that I had to take out the mobo from the case wasnt an issue this time round but may be for others. A generic Coolermaster thermal paste was included in the box but I decided to use some Noctua NT-H1 which ive heard good things about.

The CPU cooler was installed on a Core2Quad Q6600. The stock Intel heatsink was at idle around 50-55 degrees on all 4 cores with some very moderate loads. After the installation I imediately saw temps in the low-mid 30's on all four cores! I was impressed to say the least.

Overall, the build quality, size, quiet fan and easy installation(once the mobo is out) are really impressive. Also I cannot stress the price enough, I mean most decent air coolers are between $60-100 and im not saying that this cooler is better than them all(in some cases it is) but it is certainly punching well above its weight in terms of pricing for performance. As my first aftermarket cpu cooler I feel like I have a bargain on my hands, hell it would have been a bargain for $50..

Anyway I know there are a lot of reviews around the net on these but just wanted to share my first hand experience with u guys as its my first venture into aftermarket air cooling. Cheers

Next step to finally OC the cpu...

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  2. jebusau

jebusau Member

thanks for that mate, my 212+ for my Q6600 is still in its box so you have motivated me to install mine!

cheers

3. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

It's a great value cooler, one i use when building PC's for family/friends as it's priced well.

4. snappy1

snappy1 Member

I got a i5 650 to 5 Ghz on one of these, fantastic bang for buck:thumbup:

5. OP
    OP
    Flavzz

Flavzz Member

Yeah do it man. Glad I could inspire u :)

It's amazing how the temps drop from the stock heatsink.

5ghz on this thing is awesome snappy, I'll be interested to see what it can do with my CPU. Gotta so some research on OCing.

Digital - I can see why u would use this a lot given the price.

6. Zenskas

Zenskas Member

Bought one today for the PC in my sig. Have used two of them in previous builds for friends and loved them. Good cooling for a cheap price, gives anyone a good excuse to get off stock cooling when it's only $33!

7. busky2k

busky2k Member

Yep its a great cooler for the buck. My only complaint is that the fan is noisy at high RPM and 'buzzy' with clicky bearings at low speeds. I junked it for a Nexus RS fan and now its effectively silent @ 700-800RPM whilst still being more efficient than the stock intel HSF @ 1800RPM.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1046-page9.html

As you can see, its only a few degrees off the best of them when the top end HSFs are compared with the same Nexus fan. Can't complain for $30 bux!!!

Only thing is, its very easy to over do it with the thermal paste, despite the serrated base plate. Careful!

8. Zenskas

Zenskas Member

Yeah I just got an Enermax Cluster fan, it goes from about 450-1000rpm so is very quiet. And has great looking LED's with an on/off switch inbuilt!
    Max temp with fan on 1000rpm has been 35C or so with the dual core AMD CPU.

9. dualmassager

dualmassager Member

Mine is fitted out with two Noiseblocker XLP 2000 RPM fans (push-pull).
    I gotta say, it doesn't quite do justice for my i7 930, but does a good job.

At full speed, 4.2 (1.325v) runs at 85-90c full load with LinX (yes, you heard me right 3Tone).

The fans make a huge difference as I've found a high flow exhaust fan makes a great difference (up to 5 C for me).

10. ConlMaggot

ConlMaggot Member

I install them in client's machines as a stock option. They are great with just one fan, nice and quiet, standard TIM is very effective.

I threw one in the mother-in-laws PC a few weeks back. She was amazed at how well it ran and how quiet.

11. Papa Smurf

Papa Smurf Member

Very interesting read, am going to add one of these3 to my second machine today that does folding. :)

12. youngpro

youngpro Member

nice dude, certainly a awesome upgrade for a hot q6600!

13. mjrhealth

mjrhealth Member

Just replaced my Xigmatek redscorpion with the Aegir, cpu idles 8c above ambient with the overclock, Its droped 5c over the previous. Frostytech has some good comparisons.

14. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Im thinking still of getting one of these, I have had enough of the profreezer 7's fan due to age being noisy enough to annoy me.

What would be the best fan/s to use push pull on one of these coolers?