1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Cooling 2080 ti sli?

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by Jagdpanther, Nov 17, 2019.

1. Jagdpanther

Jagdpanther Member

I have a 2080 TI SLI setup with 2x Gigabyte Windforce 2080 ti graphics cards

I am using it for Machine Learning so they can be running at 100% for 8+hrs at a time the upper card runs a bit hot particularly in the Aussie summer so I am considering getting them water cooled?

Is it worth it and where should I start looking for more information?

2. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

juzz86 likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Jagdpanther

Jagdpanther Member

I wouldn't mind quiet if it's possible. I'll see how much coin then decide :) Have an open case with a room fan that works okayish in winter at the moment

4. juzz86

juzz86 Member

Given the workload and sustained usage pattern, Komm's dead right. It won't be cheap, but you should see a sizeable temperature drop over the heatsinks - even moreso if they're struggling to breathe alongside each other.

You'd do the two GPUs on a 360mm radiator probably quieter than the pair of stock heatsinks, although if it's anything like my old 980Ti Windforce cooler they're not actually too bad for noise.

GPUs are where the big gains are to be had for water :thumbup:

5. havabeer

havabeer Member

Just remember where the heat is going. There is no point water cooling the cards if your just going to put the computer in a small room and close the door for 24 hours. You still the air flow to take the hot air out of the room

Otherwise The room will roast and the cards will still get warm

Might be just as cost effective to blast the aircon into that room for the times of the prolonged runs

6. Azzan

Azzan Member

I think Gigabyte RTX2080Ti Windforce is supposed to run hot and noisy cos it's got the smallest heatsink out of all 2080Ti's. Heatsink on MSI RTX2080Ti Gaming X is almost double the size, runs ~18-20C cooler at load and still very quite.

Another option besides custom w/c: replace them with cards with good heatsink(MSI Gaming X, Asus Strix or EVGA FTW3 etc).
    I've seen Windforce selling at very good price(only ~$100 cheaper than high-end 2080Ti) so replacing them with used high-end 2080Ti might be the cheapest solution and that way you don't have to void warranty.

But if you decide to w/c then let us know the average boost clock on your cards(before and after w/c). I think diff should be very noticeable on Windforce so it'll be interesting to see your results. :)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  7. friction_point

friction_point Member

Considering the usage these cards are expected to have, personally I'd be considering a small degree of overkill like 1x 480mm rad to cool both cards or two individual loops with 360mm rads if room allows. Also as havabeer correctly pointed out - you'd also want to consider room ventilation to lower ambient temps.

8. hairy

hairy Member

just want to second this as my room is small and now it cooks from the heat my pc produces unless I run the ducted (I normally do anyway).

9. Sunder

Sunder Member

Water is the obvious way to cool your cards if money is no object. But the water blocks are at least $200 each before you get the rest of the kit. (Assuming you don't already have the parts). I'd say if you've got no water cooling kit at all, the set up will cost you $700-800 minimum

If money is a problem, I think it would be worth trying a few cheaper options first:

1) Get a cheap plastic storage box, mount your PC inside it, cut a hole in either side, make up some baffles to create a "wind tunnel" from the back of your PC to the front (or vice versa), then duct a big desk or even floor standing fan through it, to preferably out a window.

This ensure heat never builds up inside the case or room, making the the stock cooler effective enough.

2) If it's not effective enough, try the same thing with a cheap portable air conditioner - you can get them for as little as $300 these day.

And of course, for both options, you could always raise the effectiveness of the stock cooler through repasting with a better heat sink, and see if you can undervolt a little to reduce heat. Obviously you'll need to stress test on something reliable to ensure you're not getting errors in your ML.

10. HobartTas

HobartTas Member

Alternatively, if noise is not an issue you could mount in the case a 12 cm, 240 volt fan that shifts something like 50 cubic feet per minute and I'm pretty sure that that amount of room temperature airflow will cool just about anything.