Core i7 Overclocking

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by chainbolt, Nov 15, 2008.

1. Raykay

Raykay Member

Turns out it was to increase or decrease qpi, just tried myself.

I might make a thread for these error codes, seems like a neat idea.

2. Chaffe

Chaffe Member

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  3. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

please stop excessively linpacking your cpu.

you dont need to do more then 10 passes!
    its not a normal stress test.

50 is very bad for the processor.

4. Raykay

Raykay Member

20 Max, thats all I run, then its prime 95.

5. azalin79

azalin79 Member

Why so much ibt without even maxing ram?

6. htpcfan

htpcfan Member

umm related to i7 overclocking (so please move or delete if it's not appropriate) - which 1600 memory would people recommend for stability please?

I'll probably be shopping at Centrecom or MSY (so will be either G-Skill, Corsair or Kingston).

thank you.

7. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Im happy with my g-skill and my mates all use it. I generally go G-Skill or Corsair.. but all will be stable on loose timings and tight timings make jack all difference.

8. Raykay

Raykay Member

Call me stupid but my Kingston Value RAM is superb, it can do 1710 MHz at CAS 9 which isnt bad at all.

9. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

nice! each to their own ive had issues in past with kingston and avoid.

10. Raykay

Raykay Member

Ahh okay, fair call. I'm pretty lucky and seem to avoid hardware issues.

11. TamedShrew

TamedShrew Member

I know I am not pushing this CPU it is only early days yet.. It has more headroom I know..

[​IMG]

12. Raykay

Raykay Member

Yes, please run p95. Then you will see your volts need a bump or two.

13. azalin79

azalin79 Member

stress with all ram too :)

14. Chaffe

Chaffe Member

A couple of you didn't like me linpacking my CPU 50 times and you all have a good point. I'm still young as far as overclocking goes and learning bit by bit. I tend to look at stress testing programs as time based not run based (After all you are running your CPU at a certain stress level for a set period of time, For IBT and Linpack it's roughly 100% and for prime I would say about 90-95%). Luckilly for me I have my CPU attached to an RX360 (great for stealth mode setups) which gives reallly good temps. I've only gotten up high 60s when linpacking my CPU @ 4.2 GHz (normally do this on a cold day). Looking forward to when ambients get down to the -ves here in Launie. Then it will be benching timing with my Rig.

Atm working on a 4GHz setup which I've currently got in my sig. MSI have done an interesting job with there bigbang memory setting. Good for low latency low speed but so far I'm having alot of fun trying to get my Ram up to its rated 7-7-7-24-88 @ 1600 stock setting. Might be my memory has degraded alittle although I do remember this ram performing insanely well on an x58 SLI LE I had previously (7-7-7-21-88 @ 1.6 volts). Though 7-7-7-16-59 is a good @ 1280 MHz and the other main timings are really tight (8-4-4-4-20-0).

Ran Prime for 6 hours the last night and my system passed with no errors. Currently working on a 4GHz setting also passed 10 Max memory IBT runs with CPU @ 1.25V. Srry didn't get around to saving a pic of the Prime run but I did get a shot for the IBT run. Ambient in my room is roughly 24 and I'm running my computer in Stealth mode (all fans turned down to the lowest settings).

Click to view full size!

Prime settings in bios
    CPU-1.262V
    QPI-1.31V

One thing I like about the MSI bigbang is that it is really good at getting benchable stability @ lower volts. I can boot up @ around .1V less then the system would be fully stable with which hopefully in a few months time will be good for some benching runs. Managed to get a CPU-Z to open @ 4.5 GHz at 1.368V with not much effort awhile back. When I get abit of time I'll see if I can remember to take a screenshot for CPU-Z at a high setting.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  15. [MDR]

[MDR] (Banned or Deleted)

Use prime95 if you want time based. It's a better stability test anyway.

16. AFireInside

AFireInside Member

Hi guys, just wondering if a 2600K is fine to run at 5Ghz @ 1.36V for 24/7?

Temps currently max at 80c with a 22c ambient so might need to tone it down in summer tho...

Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  17. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Guys which model 1366 cpu is best for a nice 24/7 overclock with nice voltages? ie which will clock the highest at 24/7 voltages? Or is there no set pattern?

:thumbup:

18. azalin79

azalin79 Member

good to see you use the right sub forum aussie LOL.

Hard to say mate, there are the high binned 920's that go 4ghz and low volts, or 950s that get there easily too.

Dukkie's got a good chip up for grabs .. . what it handles like after 4ghz is the unknown of course.

Or a 960 that is 3.2ghz out of the box ... getting to 4+ might be alot easier having more multis.

19. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Ok I just secured a Rampage III Gene, so what rams are best for these? Would Dominator GT 2000 C8 be a good set to look out for (as they are priced decently)? Will there be much gain with these over my budget C9 Kingston 2000's?

:thumbup:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  20. Chaffe

Chaffe Member

This is kinda weird. I know when using IBT you really shouldn't try to make much out of the GFlops but theres an Extra 8 GFlops come outa nowhere at this CPU speed for me after turning HT off ....???? Ram is being run @ 1440-1-6-6-6-20-50 but I still find the GFlops to be alittle crazy because I thought the idea of HT was to increase Output per core?

Click to view full size!

Feel free to call me a newb (deep down I know I am :) ).

Last edited: Apr 19, 2011