cornered myself into getting a dog

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by warrenr, Jul 20, 2016.

1. Asako

Asako Member

I have a Japanese Spitz. She'd be about three now, I guess. Lovely dog, but my only gripe is the fur. She sheds a LOT. Especially now with summer setting in, shedding the winter coat. Either have to sweep/vacuum the house several times a day, or brush her regularly (which she loves, so it is the easier option).

My other is a poodle, who doesn't shed at all, so getting this one that sheds everywhere was a bit of a shock. I've had dogs of many types all my life, but never one that sheds so much.

2. OP
    OP
    warrenr

warrenr Member

I actually thought there was going to be minimal shedding when I bought mine.....man was I wrong :(

took her for a drive the other day, window open, hit a rough patch and I was choking on fur. the open windows helped suck it out - but seriously the amount of fur floating around was insane!

she leaves handfuls of fur around the place and we now sweep the floors 2x a day. Even though brushing her removes a full coles bag! I've no idea how such a small dog can leave so much. We're not allergic to her (tested that when I first got her), but yeah its annoying. the only good thing is we're 90% floorboards for her areas (she doesnt go into the bedrooms), and we have one of the vacuum outlets in the kitchen where you just sweep with a broom and open it up to take it away.

it could be much worse though. she's a very clean dog and has only had 2 "accidents" in the whole time we've had her - so I cant complain. losing a heap of weight too taking her for a walk 2x a day LOL

3. broccoli

broccoli Member

Do you furry dog people have furminators? Those things are terrific when the fur is flying. (I don't have the namebrand one, I have a cheaper generic one)

4. OP
    OP
    warrenr

warrenr Member

nope, but I will have this weekend :) thanks for the tip! I'd nearly buy it for the name alone, but its the quick fur release which sold me. Anything to make it quicker pays for itself in no time
    I wonder if it counts as a Christmas present for the missus? LOL At the very least - one for the kids?

5. broccoli

broccoli Member

It's sort of "fun" getting all that fur off. You can knit yourself another dog (bunny in my case) with the huge pile.

6. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

We have the Purina one, but you have to be really careful with the deshedding brushes as often they cut the dog hair (rather than pulling out loose hairs).

We still use it (carefully), as well as a rubber deshedding comb, and a slicker brush.

Furminator have a deshedding spray which helps as well.

At the moment Lil Miss Labrador is shedding heavily (enough to fill 2 shopping bags on a good brush).

https://www.kellyvillepets.com.au/c...s/furminator-deshedding-waterless-spray-251ml

https://www.petstock.com.au/products/S0000894/shear_magic_-_moulter_dog_brush

https://www.petstock.com.au/products/S0000896/shear_magic_-_slicker_dog_brush

Seriously ... our dog (thanks to wifey) owns more haircare products and combs/brushes, than even I do!! :lol: