Corsair H100i - Can the radiator be used if pump dies?

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by Spark64, May 3, 2015.

1. Spark64

Spark64 Member

I have a H100i that - well there is a long story that I won't go into - the pump died on it and both of the dual fan power connectors broke off as well.

So I am left with a cooler I can't use and can't RMA because corsair couldn't give a fig (not the original purchaser).

What I am wondering - is it possible to use this 240mm radiator with regular cooling fittings in a system?

NOTE: Thread crappers in this thread agree to have their posted deleted by the Moderators.

2. Nedstark

Nedstark Member

I would imagine it could be used, but there are no threaded fittings. You could just thread your own ii guess but it would be cheaper to buy a second hand rad for what its worth.

3. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Sure its possible.. the question is, is it worth bothering with? Its a secondhand rad, which needs mods to make it usable.. either threads for fittings or barbs to fit to the original (very small ID) hoses. Then you are going to have to clean it well, the stock fluids are probably not going to play nice with whatever fluids you plan on adding to it.

You can pick up a secondhand, much thicker or better quality rad for $20 secondhand. I'd just bin it personally.

4. OP
    OP
    Spark64

Spark64 Member

Would it be possible to switch the radiator on mine with the damaged one on someone else's H100i that has a working pump?

5. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Sure, but you'll need to join the hoses somewhere/how, and you'll need to work out a bleeding system. You'll also need to find someone with a damaged rad and working pump lol

I understand the desire to recycle but sometimes it just aint worth it...

6. OP
    OP
    Spark64

Spark64 Member

Is there anyone out there who can post some useful info?

7. mad_mic3

mad_mic3 Member

whats the id of the tube 6mm???

8. OP
    OP
    Spark64

Spark64 Member

id? 10char

9. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

You've been offered useful info, you are just ignoring it.

ID is internal diameter. He is asking you if the internal size of the tube is 6mm.. ie the size of hole the water runs through. He is doing so because if it is, and it most likely is, then that will rule out connecting a pump via a simple barb into the cut hose. The reason it will rule it out is that the hole (ID) is already tiny, and using a barb connector will make it even smaller.

The useful info you have been offered is just don't bother.. buy a secondhand rad with proper fittings for 20-40 bucks.

10. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Yes.
    Its a pain in the arse to do the swap and an even bigger pain to properly bleed the system.

11. ae00711

ae00711 Member

I may want to buy it of you

12. akromatic

akromatic Member

its not that hard actually. i've re tubed a H50 with cracked tubes.

just have a tupperware that is large enough to submerge the radiator or at least partially so that 1 barb is submerged and have to pump inlet tube submerged in the same tupperware. run the pump till it no longer bubbles and plug in the tube into the radiator while under water with the pump running.

still not sure if the OP really wants to do that though as the rad is alu and wouldnt mix well with copper components of the rest of the watercooling setup unless the OP uses some sort of glycol mix.

not sure what tubing size the H100i uses but afaik corsair has 2 tube sizes being 6mm (1/4") ID and 10mm (3/8") ID. if you are lucky enough to get one with 3/8" barbs then life is easy for you else 1/4" fittings can be a pain to get